Moving back to U.K. and claiming benefits

britsabroad2013

My husband and I are planning on moving back to the UK. We are both British and our son is Australia born. We have been away from the UK for 8 years. Upon return do we automatically qualify for family benefits such as childcare? I have no other what other benefits are available? My guessing you will need to be in the country for a while before you can claim? Is this also the same for NHS cover? It doesn't seem right that we havent paid any NI for so long and we could just walk back into the country and automatically get free health care? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My husband and I are planning on moving back to the UK. We are both British and our son is Australia born. We have been away from the UK for 8 years. Upon return do we automatically qualify for family benefits such as childcare? I have no other what other benefits are available? My guessing you will need to be in the country for a while before you can claim? Is this also the same for NHS cover? It doesn't seem right that we havent paid any NI for so long and we could just walk back into the country and automatically get free health care? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
just apply for whatever you are entitled as soon as you land. Even the dole. If you get a job etc straight away then great. But there is no sense waiting, and then being subjected to an enforced wait. Tbh, it will take some time to work your way around the UK benefits system. It's not exactly straight forward.
  • Like 1

You will be entitled to use the NHS, subject to passing the habitual residency test, in other words prove you are settled here, tenancy agreement, utility bills, that kind of thing.

You don't have to pass the habitual residents test to get back into the NHS what you need is an address ,well that's what we found

it's when you claim benefits the residency test kicks in

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 2:29 PM, britsabroad2013 said:

You can backpay 6 years NI if you like, that will cover a gap you're going to have in your pension entitlement.  

It's very reasonable if you can pay Class 2 contributions as an expat to cover some of the 35 years needed for a full pension...less than £3 a week i think.

• Like 2