Children over 18 dependant query?

A child can be dependent up to 23 years old and Your child or stepchild is considered to be dependent if they continue to be wholly or substantially reliant on you for their basic needs (food, clothing and shelter).

The easiest way is to be in full time education. I have known of some applicants whose children have been working but continued to live at home and they provided evidence of rents in the area, income, bank details etc., to show that the child would not be able to live independently.

I would also check with a migration agent, as the 489 is a 4 year visa, if you later apply for PR, the child/young adult may still need to be dependent at the time of application and grant.

Hi Ali ok that's great thank you for your advice. I would hope that once we reach the 2yr point and apply for 887 PR they wouldn't expect my daughter to still be dependant? as she wouldnt be in full time education in Oz, plus she would want to earn money and get a job.

Hi Ali ok that's great thank you for your advice. I would hope that once we reach the 2yr point and apply for 887 PR they wouldn't expect my daughter to still be dependant? as she wouldnt be in full time education in Oz, plus she would want to earn money and get a job.

I would check it out - when you apply for a PR visa it is a new visa application and they may have to be dependent at time of grant do check as it may be something you need to consider.

Moving from a 489 to PR. don't worry children who have the visa do not need to prove they are still dependent on you.

Also both my two were living away at uni and were classed as dependent. You do need to prove that you support them though. I transferred a regular amount to them each month. Had been doing since they were 17. Part of teaching them how to budget and be independent, they had to use their allowance for entertainment, food at college and non essential clothes etc. They still had free board and lodging and we met other expenses but it was amazing how that must have pair of trainers seemed so much more expensive when they had to pay for them!

Moving from a 489 to PR. don't worry children who have the visa do not need to prove they are still dependent on you.

Also both my two were living away at uni and were classed as dependent. You do need to prove that you support them though. I transferred a regular amount to them each month. Had been doing since they were 17. Part of teaching them how to budget and be independent, they had to use their allowance for entertainment, food at college and non essential clothes etc. They still had free board and lodging and we met other expenses but it was amazing how that must have pair of trainers seemed so much more expensive when they had to pay for them!

That's reassurance thank you for that info. My daughter would most likely be working full time in Oz at the time we reach the 2 yr point and are ready to apply for PR 887, however she would be still living with us so do you think that would still class her as dependant? Or did you say that once they are on your original visa 489 that you arent expected to still proove that they are dependant in order to apply for PR? Its all so confusing..... My daughter has applied to college for a 1 yr course while we are still in the UK so that she can gain some qualifications and have no trouble getting on our 489 for now, however if we are in Oz on a temp visa 489 she wouldn't be able to study until we are on PR as it would be way too expensive.

Edited by Dean Linz 5