Dying of boredom

CrunchyPeanutButter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bordom was a big factor for us in Perth - of course the accusations fly that 'only boring people are bored'. We've been back in the UK over 3 years now, after 5 in Perth so I've had plenty of time to reflect.

For us, in our 40's and with a primary age child, I think it was a case of the things that we liked - mountain biking, snowboarding, going to see bands, particularly up and coming bands in small venues and rock musical festivals, travel etc. was all a lot harder to achieve. At our age, both working full-time and with parental responsibilities we just didn't have the time or inclination to take up Australian hobbies like surfing, boating, fishing etc. - we dabbled but were not in a position to but the effort in a gain any kind of skill.

If you are already into things that are big in Australia or are able to get into those things then I'm sure it isn't 'boring'. If you were a 20-somthing Aussie who had grown-up on the beach and surfed every weekend & went camping in the bush with your mates London would probably seem incredibly boring - horses for courses.

People can make a big difference too - are you missing friends?

So I guess it's a case of looking at why you are bored, what are you missing? Is it something you can replicate in Sydney or if not replicate then replace. Or would somewhere else in Australia suit you better or do you not have any particular reason to be in Australia, could you move back to London or on to somewhere else that suits you better?

I've never mountain bikes in Perth, I always used to train on the roads, (and yes they were boring - this was pre river bike paths and I used to train near ellenbrook before they built anything there) but I had thought the mountain biking in Perth had come on leaps and bounds?

I have, it was 1985, Leeds Roundhay Park. Actually wasn't that fabulous even then, was disappointed at the time as I had been very much looking forward to it.

I can't speak for Sydney, I went there once for a weekend (disliked it immensely but the Pope was in town so I blamed that) and once on business where my hotel had views over the harbour and I was entertained on expenses at a restaurant in the Rocks which I did rather enjoy) but Perth was most definitely stuck in the past - don't get me wrong I enjoyed going to see Kiss, Motley Crue, and so on and if Bruce Springsteen was playing I might even have gone (okay a bit unlikely but if other bands were playing or if it was free then it's possible, I've nothing against Bruce Springsteen) but to hold this up as an example of Sydney not being boring really is laughable and kind of proves the point made by the OP, whom I assume is under 30 and probably wasn't even born when Bruce Springsteen was at his peak.

Bowling for Soup wrote a song about sad people stuck in the past, Springsteen even gets a mention :):)

Springsteen, Madonna

Way before Nirvana

There was U2 and Blondie

And music still on MTV

Her two kids in high school

They tell her that she's uncool

Cause she's still preoccupied

With 19, 19, 1985

I used the Springsteen concert as an example for the O/P that there are world class events happening on their doorstep. Big events are supported in Australia and usually sell out - just as Springsteen has all over the world in 2016 ( The highest grossing act of 2016 - so way past his "prime") . There are many touring and local acts, sporting events, theatres, movies restaurants etc etc available in Sydney and Perth on a nightly basis. If you cant find some entertainment in Sydney or Perth the problem is with you, not the city.

Still its good that we have style police to remind us what is cool and trendy. :) Perhaps you could tell us what events wouldn't be "boring and laughable" so that I can move out of the time warp.

Also Bowling for Soup did not write that song - it was a cover version and not a very good one at that.

Many people, especially those who have grown up with a smart phone surgically attached to them, tend to have the attention span of a toddler and expect constant and instant gratification. I don't think they ever actually grow up properly! Hence "I'm bored!"

So true. If it's not at the end of the hand it's boring.

B

Bordom was a big factor for us in Perth - of course the accusations fly that 'only boring people are bored'. We've been back in the UK over 3 years now, after 5 in Perth so I've had plenty of time to reflect.

For us, in our 40's and with a primary age child, I think it was a case of the things that we liked - mountain biking, snowboarding, going to see bands, particularly up and coming bands in small venues and rock musical festivals, travel etc. was all a lot harder to achieve. At our age, both working full-time and with parental responsibilities we just didn't have the time or inclination to take up Australian hobbies like surfing, boating, fishing etc. - we dabbled but were not in a position to but the effort in a gain any kind of skill.

If you are already into things that are big in Australia or are able to get into those things then I'm sure it isn't 'boring'. If you were a 20-somthing Aussie who had grown-up on the beach and surfed every weekend & went camping in the bush with your mates London would probably seem incredibly boring - horses for courses.

People can make a big difference too - are you missing friends?

So I guess it's a case of looking at why you are bored, what are you missing? Is it something you can replicate in Sydney or if not replicate then replace. Or would somewhere else in Australia suit you better or do you not have any particular reason to be in Australia, could you move back to London or on to somewhere else that suits you better?

I think that Lady R has pretty much nailed it. If you are able to get into Australian hobbies then there is no way you should be bored at all. Based in Brisbane, and we love cycling, swimming, cricket, etc. and finding no issues with things to do.

That said if you can't get into local hobbies due to age / family commitments / tastes I could see it being quite easy to get bored. There is a limited pub culture, and everyone does tend to be a bit insular....doesn't bother us but can make it hard to adapt.

Archived