Primary school teachers!

Olly91

So it's been brought to my attention that the 3 year degree in primary education my partner has done wouldn't be accepted as the Australian version of this is 4 years, has anyone else come across this problem before? Also is there anything we could do to bump that up to the 4 years needed? Any help or replies would be appreciated thanks!

Yes, it's well known. I think am MEd might do the trick but she would need to check that it meet the requirements. Given the over supply of primary teachers already in Australia (in places that people actually want to live) unless teaching is her passion a move to Australia might well be a good time to change careers.

Your partner would need to do a one year post grad course that is ideally related to teaching, it is mandatory that teachers have four years of tertiary education to be able to teach in Australia. There are a number of different options study wise that would be appropriate. However, as Quoll said, primary teaching has a huge surplus of teachers and many are hunting for jobs. I am not sure if primary teaching is even on a skills list at the moment, I am aware it was in Victoria a while ago, but I believe a second language was required.

The best idea would be to start researching what course to undertake and if any states are sponsoring.

Two very important things to note.

First, there is a big over supply of primary teachers in Australia and as a result getting work is a big issue.

Second, because of this, there are only three states sponsoring and all have conditions. The conditions include having a job offer (NT and WA) or be additionally experienced in teaching one of the designated foreign languages. (Victoria).

Archived