Alevels and uni

Jilldesp

Not sure about the A Level/B Tech question but I do know that students with PR pay domestic fees not international fees. What many probably don't realise is although they pay domestic fees they have to pay them all upfront, only Australian citizens can apply for student loans.

Edited by Tulip1

With 3 A levels you would have no problem getting a uni place, not so sure about a BTec

PR visa holders pay the same fees as domestic students but have to pay upfront & cant defer payment (ie a loan)

Fees are higher than UK universities.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/csps/pages/commonwealth-supported-places#AmIEligible

Fees are higher than Scottish universities but English ones can charge up to 9000 pounds a year for undergraduates - I don't think any Australian undergraduate courses cost that much. For example at the University of Melbourne (the highest ranked Australian university) fees range from $6,000 - 10,000 per year with medicine, law and commerce at the upper end.

Fees are higher than UK universities.

Not sure how you can say that when the maximum fees in English Universities are 9000 UKP per annum (and most English Unis charge the maximum), whereas in Australia the maximum fees are $10,596 per annum which are dependent on the type of course.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/csps/pages/student-contribution-amounts

Apologies, I was wrong.

My son was still at primary school when we left, I casually looked at fees so we knew what to plan for and they were around $25k per year. Looking at it now it seems I must have been looking at international fees.

I might send him back to Australia for Uni :)

Uni starts in March. Offers are made in most places mid January - applications are due Septemberish. Most entry here is marks only - no interview, so it is all paper based.

Most students live at home during uni so that narrows the field.

All unis have very comprehensive websites about admissions and if you need to they have people to answer your queries. Education is a huge industry in Australia with many many international students who have finished school overseas. Many have sat A level exams in Asia and the unis have the equivalent entry standards for A level versus Australian results.

From what I have seen the A level results required are often a little lower than the local equivalents. Students in Australia study more subjects and A levels are often a bit more in depth as students focus on fewer subjects. So a course that required an "A" average in Australian results may only need a ABB at A level for example.

You would need to ask individual unis how they feel about BTec courses. It is likely that some will be happy to consider them - they may even offer an alternative entry path to him where they get to know more about his background than just marks.

Apologies, I was wrong.

My son was still at primary school when we left, I casually looked at fees so we knew what to plan for and they were around $25k per year. Looking at it now it seems I must have been looking at international fees.

yep, I think you were looking in the international column. Scottish unis are still a bargain for locals aren't they? And European ones are too - and a bit closer to home these days!

Apologies, I was wrong.

You would be mad to think about it. We have, as we have family there, but I don't think its feasible, which is a shame.

You would be mad to think about it. We have, as we have family there, but I don't think its feasible, which is a shame.

I was largely joking but curious as to why you don't think it is feasible? As a citizen I am assuming HECS would be available so I'm thinking it would not be hugely different, especially as you have family there.