Am I crazy? Sailing around Oz

Guest Pinhead

Guest Gollywobbler
For a while now I've had this yearning /desire to learn to sail and then sail all the way around Oz. Am I nuts?:goofy:

From websites I've seen the trip is approx 6,500 miles and depending on how much of a hurry you're in could take between 3-6 months. I've never sailed before but have always loved the water and the freedom you'd get from sailing.

I've been looking at sailing courses in Melbourne which I think would take a couple of years plus putting in the sailing hours before I'd even think of doing the trip.

Anyone out there with extensive experience of sailing have any thoughts?

Hello Pinhead

I've sailed all my life and I think yours is an excellent idea. With all my heart, I would encourage you to go for it, do it and then write a book about it which would be snapped up by the sailing community.

It is a great idea.

Best wishes

Gill

Pinhead, we have been sailing for about 15 years, I walked into a sailing shop that did sailing lessons, did a course in 4 days that showed me how to sail a yacht, then we did a coastal navigation course, & radio certificate course with the coast guard, then learned by sailing Botany Bay each weekend.

We have sailed down the coast from Sydney a couple of times, getting caught in a storm on our return once which put me off ocean sailing for life, I don't like being out there in 5 metre seas.

sailing is like driving a car or riding a bike in many ways, you get your L's and learn more along the way, we are on our 4th yacht at the moment, but we are selling it because I injured my back & can't handle the motion of the boat anymore.

You can pick up a decent ocean going vessel for around $30,000 & up, we have a Compass 29, they are a good strong seaboat & have been known to sail around the world.

My advice to you, join a yacht club and sail with others on their boats, that way you get the experience needed and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than owning your own, it's not just the sailing you have to learn, you have to maintain it too, sometimes out in the middle of the ocean, sod's law they call it, all the best with your dream.

Guest Pinhead

Thanks Skippy.

My plan is to join a sailing club in Melbourne and do various courses over 2-3 years following the advice of the people there and what they suggest.

I'd definitely build up my experience doing shorter trips before attempting sailing around Australia, even if it takes me 10 years to build up the necessary experience.

• 9 months later...
Guest fa66ster
Cheers Sheena, at least one person out there doesn't think I'm nuts.

I was beginning to doubt my sanity.

I would say it was a Fab idea! Good on ya for having a dream to follow........make it happen mate. I have a child now but was a dream of mine too, maybe I will get to realise the dream too when the baby is older.

Imagine the peace/solitude you will experience, will be food for the soul man!

• 2 months later...
Guest The Green Dragon

Go for it Pinhead! I think it's a great idea. You'll always get people who think these things are mad, but if it's something you really want to do then you just have to go for it.

I'm contemplating cycling across Oz (when I eventually get there!). My partner thinks I'm crazy for wanting to cross the Nullarbor on two wheels!

Good luck and Happy Sailing!!

Anyone heard of this pinhead guy since he decided to sail around Oz :chatterbox:

He's gone. And more power to him. He's clearly a better man than I am.

"Take the adventure, heed the call, now ere the irrevocable moment passes! 'Tis but a banging of the door behind you, a blithesome step forward, and you are out of the old life and into the new!"

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908.

Guest flipflop
He's gone. And more power to him. He's clearly a better man than I am.

"Take the adventure, heed the call, now ere the irrevocable moment passes! 'Tis but a banging of the door behind you, a blithesome step forward, and you are out of the old life and into the new!"

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908.

Ahhhh man, when did his boat go down....:jimlad:

Ahhhh man, when did his boat go down....:jimlad:

What makes you think his boat went down? Maybe he's just been enjoying himself:

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." Mr Rat.

The guy's just messing about in boats. Where's the harm in that?

Its such a shame people decide to dig up old posts. Loads of people really like Pinhead and I for one do miss his invaluable help. Ian if you are out there we miss you please come back! :hug:

I think he is more of a flop than a flip or is that a flippant remark flopped?

Personally i think he is someone's alter ego.

I'm thinking of sailing around australia myself but need a "girl friday"

Wiat for it..................................................................

VVVV

VVV

VV

V

Any of you girls wanna come on me boat....:biglaugh:

Archived