Am I crazy? Sailing around Oz

Guest Pinhead

Guest Pinhead

For a while now I've had this yearning /desire to learn to sail and then sail all the way around Oz. Am I nuts?:goofy:

From websites I've seen the trip is approx 6,500 miles and depending on how much of a hurry you're in could take between 3-6 months. I've never sailed before but have always loved the water and the freedom you'd get from sailing.

I've been looking at sailing courses in Melbourne which I think would take a couple of years plus putting in the sailing hours before I'd even think of doing the trip.

Anyone out there with extensive experience of sailing have any thoughts?

Guest sheena

from a person who has had a boat and done sailing, i would say do it!!! you dont know unless you try it!! what a great feeling it is!!!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest Pinhead

Cheers Sheena, at least one person out there doesn't think I'm nuts.

I was beginning to doubt my sanity.

Guest Pinhead

I was thinking of going for a proper sailing boat rather than one of these diesel driven pleasure cruisers, small enough to be crewed by 1 person if necessary but big enough to sleep on in comfort.

At the moment it's a dream but hopefully once I get to Melbourne and start taking some sailing courses I'll get a better idea of what it entails and the best boat, equipment etc. As I said it'll probably take me a couple of years to pass all the courses and get enough confidence in my abilities. I'll probably do a Melbourne to Sydney trip or Melbourne to Adelaide as a dry run.

I figure the most difficult part will around the top end between Cookstown and Darwin and Albany to Adelaide, basically there isn't much between those points. I'd look to set off mid March from Melbourne going anti clockwise arriving back in the Spring i.e. get the best weather all around. Time wouldn't be a factor so long as I'm not at the top end during the Cyclone season or on the South coast in the winter.

Anyway it's just dream at the moment.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ian&Lou

Sounds like a great idea to me and something I would LOVE to do with Ian. For me being out on the water is a fab feeling and you get to go to lots of little beaches/coves etc that you cant get to by road.

I once was thinking about going on one of those trips where you volunteer to crew on a yacht across the atlantic. Then reality set in and I realised that leaving my son for 6 weeks + was not really an option!! But who knows, when he's grown up and flown the nest, I might just do it yet!

Lady Lou

Guest earlswood

I would guess it would cost you with boat capable of doing it etc about £300,000 minimum, stick with the boat in your bath Pinhead.:biglaugh:

Pinhead around Australia.....Day 1.

Tub_boat.jpg

Guest earlswood

Pinhead testing his "around Australia boat" :biglaugh:

minor-seminarian-boat.jpg

Guest stockies

I would love to have the nerve to do it !!!!!!!!!!

I would come with ya but there is just one small problem .........I get teriible sea sickness!!!!!!!!

Make it happen dont let it be a dream......just think of the stories you will have to tell to everyone after.

Claire. XX

Guest cantwait

Hi Ian

It sounds brilliant. My OH was a junior sailing champion when he was a teen and he would love to do it. His dream is to be able to buy a boat in Australia and to go sailing again.

You're only young once, so if this is one of your dreams - go for it!!!!

Karen

x

Hey Ian they are only jealous, don't take Earlswood with you though, it will never stop raining as you know the rain clouds follow him around everywhere, the boat might sink with him on it!!!:biglaugh:

I have been closely following a friend on another forum I am involved with. They bought a cat in St Lucia sailed it to Aus via lots of places in Caribbean then on to Galapagos, Ratoiti Fiji, Samoa New Caledonia to Bundaberg and they have just left to sail around Aus.

Wonderful blogs. Whole lot of people sailing around out there.

First you need to talk like a pirate

try this

Pirate Speak

no need to thank me

I don't think you people realise just how funny this is! Try the URL translator.

well i think its funny :sad:

People thought we were mad when we left home in a housebus with 2 kids.

Do your research and if it still grabs you go for it!! Just make sure you know enough about safety protocol and stuff and you're well equipped. I guess if you're going coastal you can easily come to shore if you're in trouble. Don't talk to the crocs. :arghh:

Archived