Migrating to Oz

Dvercetti14

Hi,

I'm returning to Australia early next year in the hope of getting serious with a girl I met whilst travelling.

Because of my age, I'll be going back on a second year tourist visa (I spent approx eight months there earlier this year). As far as I can tell, my role I used to do back in the UK before travelling isn't on the required skills list, meaning I can't get a 457 sponsored visa. I'm pretty sure this only leaves me with the de facto route, if we decide to proceed with the relationship. If we decide to go ahead, largely will be determined by what we can and can't do immigration wise.

Problem as I understand it is, I'll be on a tourist visa and unable to work, and you have to be able to evidence being together for twelve months before you can apply for the de facto option.

Would I be able to apply for a bridging visa so I can work at some stage in that year? If not, I have a decent amount of savings, and if I'm careful, pretty sure I could last twelve months without working. Presumably, I could then apply for the de facto visa?

I don't know what I'd end up doing all day for a full year if my partner was at the office, I couldn't work, and was trying to stick to a budget. A lot of housework I suppose!

Is there something I've missed? I want to head back to Australia in the new year with solutions, but the situation feels a bit hopeless for us at the moment.

Many thanks to anyone that can help

DV

If you have savings why not look into studying? you will get some qualifications and will be able to work part time. Then if the relationship works out you can then apply for a defacto visa. Just a thought. Sitting at home all day not working for a year is going to make you go insane.

Hi,

I'm returning to Australia early next year in the hope of getting serious with a girl I met whilst travelling.

Because of my age, I'll be going back on a second year tourist visa (I spent approx eight months there earlier this year). As far as I can tell, my role I used to do back in the UK before travelling isn't on the required skills list, meaning I can't get a 457 sponsored visa. I'm pretty sure this only leaves me with the de facto route, if we decide to proceed with the relationship. If we decide to go ahead, largely will be determined by what we can and can't do immigration wise.

Problem as I understand it is, I'll be on a tourist visa and unable to work, and you have to be able to evidence being together for twelve months before you can apply for the de facto option.

Would I be able to apply for a bridging visa so I can work at some stage in that year? If not, I have a decent amount of savings, and if I'm careful, pretty sure I could last twelve months without working. Presumably, I could then apply for the de facto visa?

I don't know what I'd end up doing all day for a full year if my partner was at the office, I couldn't work, and was trying to stick to a budget. A lot of housework I suppose!

Is there something I've missed? I want to head back to Australia in the new year with solutions, but the situation feels a bit hopeless for us at the moment.

Many thanks to anyone that can help

DV

First problem might be that two such long term tourist visas may result in the second one having a 'No furtherstay' clause meaning you can't apply onshore for another visa.

You can't apply for a Bridging Visa. if you apply onshore for the de facto visa you will be granted a bridging visa with work rights once your tourist visa expires. But a bridging visa is just that- it bridges the time from the expiry of one visa to the grant of another, which has already bee allied for.

First problem might be that two such long term tourist visas may result in the second one having a 'No furtherstay' clause meaning you can't apply onshore for another visa.

You can't apply for a Bridging Visa. if you apply onshore for the de facto visa you will be granted a bridging visa with work rights once your tourist visa expires. But a bridging visa is just that- it bridges the time from the expiry of one visa to the grant of another, which has already bee allied for.

Thanks guys, most helpful.

My current Aussie tourist visa expires in Feb next year. I've been told getting a second year won't be a problem.

My understanding of this visa is that I can stay for a year as long as I leave once every three months. I was going to apply for a second year just before I leave the UK again, so I get a full year. Its a big ask to just move in immediately, and force myself on my intended partner whilst we're still in this defining what we are period, but I assume this is the only way before I can go the de facto route.

Studying, to strengthen my case and increase my points score is a great idea. Is there a list of recommended subjects anywhere? Or does all study, as long as its in Australia, count towards your score?

Thanks. Your help is all greatly appreciated.

What state will you be living in? Some states you can register your relationship and iirc this waives the 12 months de facto. But you'd have to research it fully yourself to understand it better and what that might entail or mean if on a tourist visa etc.

What state will you be living in? Some states you can register your relationship and iirc this waives the 12 months de facto. But you'd have to research it fully yourself to understand it better and what that might entail or mean if on a tourist visa etc.

Thanks Snifter. If all goes to plan, I'll be in WA.

Can she get a working visa for the UK?

If so, that might be the best plan of action to look at. Easier to apply for a defacto visa to Oz than the other way around these days and less costly.

As you mentioned your current age. What line of work are in at present?

Studying is not cheap in Australia and you have limited options to how many hours you can work. Unless you have a big bank account, might be a no go for you.

Unless you have a degree already what kind of courses are you looking to complete in a year?

My current Aussie tourist visa expires in Feb next year. I've been told getting a second year won't be a problem.

My understanding of this visa is that I can stay for a year as long as I leave once every three months. I was going to apply for a second year just before I leave the UK again, so I get a full year. Its a big ask to just move in immediately, and force myself on my intended partner whilst we're still in this defining what we are period, but I assume this is the only way before I can go the de facto route.

Studying, to strengthen my case and increase my points score is a great idea. Is there a list of recommended subjects anywhere? Or does all study, as long as its in Australia, count towards your score?

Who told you getting a second year tourist visa won't be a problem? I dont see how anybody could know this, getting a second year long tourist visa could very much be a problem. Even if you get it, you could still have a problem at immigration control and you should not assume otherwise.

I am not sure why you would get a one year tourist visa anyway, that locks you out of working for the whole year. If you got a three month visa, registered the relationship (thus bypassing the 12 months Defacto), then applied for partner visa, the bridging visa with working rights kicks in after three months.

I would not be so enthusiastic about studying myself. I am presuming you are quite young and would not have trouble passing the points test anyway. What occupation are you in - have you checked you meet the requirements?

Can she get a working visa for the UK?

If so, that might be the best plan of action to look at. Easier to apply for a defacto visa to Oz than the other way around these days and less costly.

As you mentioned your current age. What line of work are in at present?

Studying is not cheap in Australia and you have limited options to how many hours you can work. Unless you have a big bank account, might be a no go for you.

Unless you have a degree already what kind of courses are you looking to complete in a year?

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm grateful for any help at this juncture, its starting to feel a bit like a lost cause.

I work in IT Account Management. Although I think there are some states where I could be sponsored and, with a prevailing wind, gain a working 457 visa that way, I'm 99.9% sure this isn't the case with WA.

I will have approx 20K (UK Sterling) in savings to live off of for the year if the situation dictates staying, and if I'm able to get a part time job to top this up, or at least not keep living off it completely, this would help no end.

Regards studying, I think it would probably be more a case of what I could do that takes around a year, and hopefully compliments my existing work. Is there anywhere I can view a list, or will anything I chose qualify and assist my cause?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm grateful for any help at this juncture, its starting to feel a bit like a lost cause.

I work in IT Account Management. Although I think there are some states where I could be sponsored and, with a prevailing wind, gain a working 457 visa that way, I'm 99.9% sure this isn't the case with WA.

I will have approx 20K (UK Sterling) in savings to live off of for the year if the situation dictates staying, and if I'm able to get a part time job to top this up, or at least not keep living off it completely, this would help no end.

Regards studying, I think it would probably be more a case of what I could do that takes around a year, and hopefully compliments my existing work. Is there anywhere I can view a list, or will anything I chose qualify and assist my cause?

Thanks,

Steve

Your welcome, these forums like other expat forums are here to help and provide advice guidance. Helped me with tons of issues/questions.

Would you say your position falls under Account Manager or Service Delivery Manager, if even? I see lots of these positions posted in Melbourne, not helping as your partner is in WA. WA like say SA and QLD are going to be tough compared to say Sydney or Melbourne. The IT job market is saturated at the moment, and locals are struggling to find work also. As the locals like to call it the 457 rort! I am even relocating to Canada as found it tough when my company had a number of retrenchments. I have read too many sad posts of expats in Australia moving back to the UK, due the job market here.

Your job title is vague, I work in IT myself so this could cover a multiple different areas. Do you have ITIL, Agile/Waterfall, PM or BA experience or would you class yourself more in a BDM type role?

Lets say 20K pounds is roughly 40KAU$, it is less with the exchange rate now. 40K AU$ will be a struggle to cover you for a year, including education fees, unless your partner supports you.

Can your partner get to the UK on a work visa, as this may be the best route forward.

So are you looking at the evisitor -lasts 12 months but only allows you 3months onshore at a time-or the 12 month tourist visa-which gives you 12 months here.

If you have already done an evisitor coming and going every three months I'd say you have a high probability of getting stopped at some point and refused entry.

Thanks for a great, and extremely helpful response.

My title of 'Account Manager' was always deliberately a little ambiguous, I would regularly get involved with purchasing, hiring, project management, even some warehouse work, but the main role was more Business Development than anything else. As you say, numerous roles I could do over on the east coast in Melbourne and Sydney, and if I can't find a workable solution, I would consider Melbourne as my next choice and attempt the 457 route.

I don't have any recognisable qualifications such as the ones you mention, but perhaps studying something in that first year, if that what it ends up being, might be a possibility. I'm quite keen to do that, even if its not something not attached to my normal work, and obviously anything that strengthens my hand would be a plus. Can I study and get part time work on a tourist visa?

When you mention about my partner coming to the UK, how would that work? Sorry I'm new to this and only just starting to get up to speed. What are the benefits of this route?

Otherwise, it looks like I've got to get her to agree to letting me live with her almost immediately, study, then apply for defacto in a years time. If the planets align, it *might* work, but I don't especially like my chances. As I have to come and go every three months, as one or two people have mentioned, is there any possibility of I might encounter problems at the airport coming back in, or is this like asking how long is a piece of string?

Does that summary cover it? Anything I'm missing or not accounting for?

Hi Bungo.

Thanks for your response.

My contact at Flight Centre advised that unless I was living a covert life in Australia trying to work, I shouldn't have any problems with a second year on my visa. If thats true or not remains to be seen I guess, but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I was advised the tourist visa route because as far as I'm aware, I'm running out of options, and its the only way I can legally stay for the year required to show evidence of the defacto application.

I can't register the relationship, because from what I've read, WA won't recognise or allow it.

I am always keen to learn and would enjoy studying, especially if it helps strengthen my case. I am 40, I work in IT Sales, I meet the criteria for the East side, but not WA, which is were I'm trying to get to.

Hi Bungo.

Thanks for your response.

My contact at Flight Centre advised that unless I was living a covert life in Australia trying to work, I shouldn't have any problems with a second year on my visa. If thats true or not remains to be seen I guess, but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I was advised the tourist visa route because as far as I'm aware, I'm running out of options, and its the only way I can legally stay for the year required to show evidence of the defacto application.

I can't register the relationship, because from what I've read, WA won't recognise or allow it.

I am always keen to learn and would enjoy studying, especially if it helps strengthen my case. I am 40, I work in IT Sales, I meet the criteria for the East side, but not WA, which is were I'm trying to get to.

I would say that the person in FlightCentre has not really got much of a clue about the finer points on Australian visas.

Using a tourist visa to live in Australia whilst you build up your defacto time together actually isn't a legitimate option either, but it might be something that you manage to make work for you. But it is important that you know that immigration would not approve of your plan and you run a risk of being stopped, questioned and possibly denied entry every time you exit and try to renter the country. The more you do that and the longer you stay, the more this risk increases. But there is no way to give you any guarantees either way, it is down to chance and luck.

Thanks for a great, and extremely helpful response.

My title of 'Account Manager' was always deliberately a little ambiguous, I would regularly get involved with purchasing, hiring, project management, even some warehouse work, but the main role was more Business Development than anything else. As you say, numerous roles I could do over on the east coast in Melbourne and Sydney, and if I can't find a workable solution, I would consider Melbourne as my next choice and attempt the 457 route.

I don't have any recognisable qualifications such as the ones you mention, but perhaps studying something in that first year, if that what it ends up being, might be a possibility. I'm quite keen to do that, even if its not something not attached to my normal work, and obviously anything that strengthens my hand would be a plus. Can I study and get part time work on a tourist visa?

When you mention about my partner coming to the UK, how would that work? Sorry I'm new to this and only just starting to get up to speed. What are the benefits of this route?

Otherwise, it looks like I've got to get her to agree to letting me live with her almost immediately, study, then apply for defacto in a years time. If the planets align, it *might* work, but I don't especially like my chances. As I have to come and go every three months, as one or two people have mentioned, is there any possibility of I might encounter problems at the airport coming back in, or is this like asking how long is a piece of string?

Does that summary cover it? Anything I'm missing or not accounting for?

Welcome and yes I think it covers a lot.

Not really sure what to suggest, but I think it may be worthwhile going to speak to a migration agent who can provide more guidance.

Since you mentioned your age in another post, I would assume your partner is over 30 and if so not eligible for a UK working visa. Are here parents or grandparents from the UK or another part of the EU. If the former then she could look at UK Ancestry visa(not sure of the exact details), if the latter maybe try to get a passport for her home country and enter the UK on that(not sure if this is legal or not!)

As for the 457 route, it can be difficult but not impossible. From your background, you could try looking on LinkedIn and seek.com.au, see what roles are available and make contact with them.

But honestly, reading your posts I think you have a slim chance. Other than that I don't think the tourist visa allows you to work or study, you would need to apply for a course and be accepted then apply for a student visa.

Thanks for another great reply. I have to admit, its starting to look like a bit of a lost cause to me.

She's 27, so could get the UK working visa. It looks like I might have to get her to come to do the year here in the UK before returning, or move over to the east coast, but of course, I'll give it my all first in WA.

Thanks again.

Thanks for another great reply. I have to admit, its starting to look like a bit of a lost cause to me.

She's 27, so could get the UK working visa. It looks like I might have to get her to come to do the year here in the UK before returning, or move over to the east coast, but of course, I'll give it my all first in WA.

Thanks again.

She could maybe try for this:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility

That gives her up to 2 years to live and work in the UK.

She could maybe try for this:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility

That gives her up to 2 years to live and work in the UK.

It also seems like she's got up to three years to do it, because it looks like you can apply right the way up to being 30, without even leaving. This gives me a bit of leeway to spend a bit of time in Oz and suss it all out first.

So in an ideal world, if I'm following correctly, we'd spend a year (or up to two) in the UK, then head back to Oz registering the relationship as a defacto before we left. I'd then be able to get the bridging visa whilst thats being processed and be able to work immediately?

IF this is correct, this has so many advantages, and is a much tidier way than me fudging my way through Australia on a tourist visa...I now just need to convince her to do it! Gulp!

It also seems like she's got up to three years to do it, because it looks like you can apply right the way up to being 30, without even leaving. This gives me a bit of leeway to spend a bit of time in Oz and suss it all out first.

So in an ideal world, if I'm following correctly, we'd spend a year (or up to two) in the UK, then head back to Oz registering the relationship as a defacto before we left. I'd then be able to get the bridging visa whilst thats being processed and be able to work immediately?

IF this is correct, this has so many advantages, and is a much tidier way than me fudging my way through Australia on a tourist visa...I now just need to convince her to do it! Gulp!

Yes she has upto 3 years, but I believe from memory, maybe on this forum or another or some other source(was a while back). The UK is looking to change the system for Australians to get visas for the UK. Hopefully someone on here can answer that and correct me. Or do a search on the net to see what info you can find out.

I cannot comment about the registering as defacto and the bridging visa, as have no knowledge about it.

The defacto visa is not so easy, you are really best going to talk to some one who fully qualified and knows there stuff. I have known a few people who have done it, and heard there experiences and the costs associated with it. this would help you come up with a plan to discuss with your partner about the best route to pursue and timelines.

Not sure what part of the UK you are in, but has the lady ever visited the UK?

Good luck with everything, relocating is not easy by yourself let alone trying to work in a defacto visa.

Erm perhaps I am missing something, but you don't actually mention making the offshore partner visa application above, so aren't you therefore still looking to fudge your way through on a tourist visa with this plan?

It is not possible to "register a relationship" in Australia when you are both in the UK. As has been mentioned your chosen state is the one that does not recognise registered relationships anyway. And finally even if you did register a relationship, it isn't a visa. So you would still be looking to fudge (your word) your way into Australia on a tourist visa?

If she is willing to apply for that UK visa and live in the UK for a couple of years, then the way to do things properly would be to move to UK, apply for the Australian partner visa offshore after a year of living together in the UK and then move to Auatralia year or so later when it is granted.

Erm perhaps I am missing something, but you don't actually mention making the offshore partner visa application above, so aren't you therefore still looking to fudge your way through on a tourist visa with this plan?

It is not possible to "register a relationship" in Australia when you are both in the UK. As has been mentioned your chosen state is the one that does not recognise registered relationships anyway. And finally even if you did register a relationship, it isn't a visa. So you would still be looking to fudge (your word) your way into Australia on a tourist visa?

If she is willing to apply for that UK visa and live in the UK for a couple of years, then the way to do things properly would be to move to UK, apply for the Australian partner visa offshore after a year of living together in the UK and then move to Auatralia year or so later when it is granted.

Thanks Bungo, it now makes more sense to me. Appreciated you stepping in.