Car finance on 457 visa

LadyBlaze

Hello!

Has anyone had experience of getting hire purchase on a new car when they arrived with a 457 visa? I have an employment contract in place, as well as a bank account...I just don't want to spend all of my savings up front on a new car as I'm going to need to buy furniture etc. I can imagine lenders won't look favourably on this with no credit history in the country.

Thanks in advance for any any advice on car loans and also how to actually buy a car. I'm a loan female and a tad concerned the dealers see me coming...

You can get it, but they will limit the length of the credit term to 6 months less than the length of the 457 visa. So, if you have 4 years left on the visa, they will limit the credit term to 3 years and 6 months

That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought it would have been available on anything less than PR.

B

We bought a car on finance on a 457 visa back in 2013, we didn't really need the finance but wanted it for some good credit history. Was only for a 12 month term so the interest was negligible.

Our finance was through the dealer (St. George finance) as we had a 457 visa, the finance company initially wanted a 50% deposit, but agreed on 30% due to my salary.