PR - Australian Wife & Baby

darren123

Hi,

Just need some advise please. I am a uk citizen and my partner of 2 years (now wife 2 weeks ago) are expecting in January. Whats the quickest way of getting PR? I am currently on a 457 visa and my partner is a Australian citizen.

Thanks,

Darren

There is no quick way. Impregnating an Australin citizen does not change the rules or the timelines. Now you are married you can apply for a partner visa and the processing time is about a year or so.

Edited by Bungo

Hi,

Just need some advise please. I am a uk citizen and my partner of 2 years (now wife 2 weeks ago) are expecting in January. Whats the quickest way of getting PR? I am currently on a 457 visa and my partner is a Australian citizen.

Thanks,

Darren

On onshore partner visa application is most likely your best strategy.

I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about your visa-strategy options.

Depending on few things, you may have some options.

If you can claim at least 60 points towards an occupation on the SOL, you may be able to get a 189 visa in a few months (skills assessment may slow this down, and if yours is a pro rata occupation it may really slow it down unless you can claim at least 65+ points).

If your occupation is on the CSOL and a state is sponsoring, that may be another option but may be more difficult if you are currently in a different state or if they have additional criteria.

If your employer willing to sponsor you for a PR visa, you may be able to get a 186 visa within 8-9 months.

Or a partner visa may be the best/only option and they take 12+ months. Normally you need 3 years relationship or 2 years+baby to go past the temporary visa and straight onto the PR. Not sure if that's criteria at time of application or if they can be flexible and make it a time of decision criteria.

I asked this same question on here a few months back, here's our conclusions and what we did (we are in UK however):

1/ You can apply via skilled route but Australia is not obliged to accept skilled migrants (they can limit numbers for each profession as they choose)

2/ Partner visa's are guaranteed so long as you meet the requirements for genuine relationship and have no serious convictions. Sure they take longer and cost more but you are entitled to the visa.

3/ You need the two years defacto plus child needs to be born and registered, on the way doesn't count to stand a chance of going straight to pr. We waited until our son was born before applying because our five years defacto was hard to prove (no common mortgage only bank accounts) whereas two years married and a born child cannot be disputed. I wanted pr straight off, actually put it in my application