Diploma nurse advice

Trevortamer

Hello,

I'm a 33 year old singleton looking to move to Australia on a skilled visa. I Have 10 years experience as an adult nurse and I'd hoped this would be sufficent to obtain a skilled migrant visa. I've just learned that as I'm educated to diploma HE level, and not the required degree level, I would have problems registering with AHPRA. I could top up to degree level here in the UK however that would take a couple of years and I'd like to be out there sooner!

Does anyone have advice on my options for entry? I am aware of the bridging course and if anyone has experience with this it would be good to talk. I would be willing to work as an enrolled nurse if this was possible but I don't think this is classed as a desired skilled profession.

Any information would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

Hello,

I'm a 33 year old singleton looking to move to Australia on a skilled visa. I Have 10 years experience as an adult nurse and I'd hoped this would be sufficent to obtain a skilled migrant visa. I've just learned that as I'm educated to diploma HE level, and not the required degree level, I would have problems registering with AHPRA. I could top up to degree level here in the UK however that would take a couple of years and I'd like to be out there sooner!

Does anyone have advice on my options for entry? I am aware of the bridging course and if anyone has experience with this it would be good to talk. I would be willing to work as an enrolled nurse if this was possible but I don't think this is classed as a desired skilled profession.

Any information would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

To qualify for migration to Australia as a nurse you must hold a nursing qualification assessed as comparable to an Australian degree.

You might be able to qualify in a related occupation.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for an assessment of your visa prospects?

You will probably have to come on student visas and do the bridging course. The cost is around $12000 though.

Wow, that's not cheap but I am determined to make the move so I'll consider it. Have you completed the programme or do you know people who have? It seems like a short course. Do you think someone in my position would be considered suitable for the bridge programme?

Wow, that's not cheap but I am determined to make the move so I'll consider it. Have you completed the programme or do you know people who have? It seems like a short course. Do you think someone in my position would be considered suitable for the bridge programme?

You might want to contact wrussel above. He is a respected agent and his contact details are in his signature.

There are a range of issues with going on a student visa. Most importantly you would not be able to work as a nurse during the period and would be limited to working part time while studying. Student visa holders have a limit of 40 hours per fortnight.

Hi Trevor

Hope you're well. My advice would be to do the top up in the UK. There are universities that do online courses and it's only one year. You could keep up work alongside it.

As far as I'm aware the bridging course has to be referred from AHPRA. So you would have to go through the whole application. Also, with the bridging course, again as far as I'm aware it's only recognising your overseas qualifications so you won't come out the end of it with a degree. So a lot of money to pay. Good luck with everything.

I would def top up here first then look to going to Aus...much easier n straightforward...n u should be going for degree here anyway for professional development reasons.. You might already have completed some courses that will count towards it? Means u won't get to Aus straight away but it's a lengthy process anyway

Thanks for the variety of advice, this has given me plenty to ponder over. I had considered topping up here however I would need a total of 120 credits and with each module giving me 30cr I guessed it'd take 2 years to complete. Thanks for the input people. It's much appreciated

Australia will still be there in two years. Sounds better than the crippling financial cost of the bridging course and living on a student visa.

If you look around at the various universities, some offer one year, others 18 months. But as Lorna said, they may take into account prior learning so you may have credits depending on what courses you have done. Best to contact them to get advice.

Just don't waste your money on a bridging course, it's not worth it.

Guest Priscilla101

Although you need 120 credits have you not completed some as part of your pdp?

Preceptorship, mentorship? They have a specific degree module where you do the dissertation so only 1 other module needed.

It wouldbe extreaMly hard and expensive doing it oz side.

You will probably have to come on student visas and do the bridging course. The cost is around $12000 though.

$12000 + visa costs + travel costs + accommodation and daily living costs + medical examination fee + ancillary costs (for examples: study materials, nurse registration) plus funds to apply for a skills assessment and a further visa - budget $20000+

Have you looked into sponsorship? If you are eligible you could top up your qualifications whilst working out there and then after a couple of years apply for PR.

No they couldn't.

They currently work as a nurse so they are not going to get sponsored as say an electrician. They cannot work as a nurse in Australia as they cannot get registered.

Thanks for the variety of opinions here. At the moment I'm leaning towards going for the nirsung bridging course and getting on with my dreams as soon as possible. I understand it will cost quite a lot more than other options but hey, it's only money and if that's what it costs to start an adventure then so be it :-)