How Many People Are Moving On A Limited Budget

Guest GRAEME AND CATHY

Pommypaul don't forget furniture or are you shipping yours out? There are not many furnished rentals over here unless you go in to a short term holiday let

If i can't find a part or fully furnished unit i'm planning on enjoying a minimalist lifestyle for a few months :cute:

Just dont forget your hidden costs folks...Rego, car insurance, dentists, doctors, driving licence etc...That soon adds up to a fair bit...Also mobile phone bills can become expensive if you are not having a landline..Thats one thing about Oz..Ya have to pay for bloody everything:goofy:

Our first 10 months here and we have outlayed of our own money $54,000 on top of around another $60,000 on living but we are a family of 4

Jo x

I should of mentioned that (fingers crossed) i should be earning within two months of arrival, the 6 month plan is living on a no luxuary shoestring.

Guest Taylors08

you only live once go for it... Dont regret things.

We're in the same boat house not selling but still waiting for visa.. Its a worry but im sure it will be worth it once we are there.

Good Luck everyone....

x

For all those people who have never been to Australia let me tell you of the gem that is council clear up.

People put all their old furniture out for collection by the council collection a week beforehand and its a free for all. We furnished a house for my friend this way .

Top recycling and free.

Guest melissa
Hi Tracy,

Think your dead right! We've been in our house nearly 23 years and in theory should be sitting pretty. But After a couple decades that sometimes we feel that the only thing that went right was our kids, we've decided on a new life, even then it's seems to be going t*** up. We've got next to nothing to take especially if we have to drop thousands to sell. We're so determined to just go now though that upseting as it is the feeling of "why always us" We ain't gonna give up our dream.

Sorry it's not always that simple for everyone, but staying another year could make no difference.

If you can't bear the thought of staying, GO.

Good Luck Tania and Dave Whatever you decide.

Keith

Just sing your favourite song, the one about bubble's. I'm a fellow Hammer and we never really give up hope, do we. I remember the early 90's, pushing the pram around the park because i couldn't find work. We were young, new baby, absolutley skint, living in sh**tty temporary accomadation. But we were still happy and we can handle being skint for a while again(not for too long though please!).

Never give up Hammer, you'll be fine.

Don't get stuck in your safety zone people.

Darren.

The duds ,,i thought only i was sad enough to do that,its called kerb side collection here ,lol,, i have had a tv,playstation with 20 games,a massive wicker chest,patio table n chairs ,,oh the list is endless,lol, im laso banned from going to the tip as i always come back with a pushbike ,,the aussies must be rich to whizz the stuff they do ,lol

Cal x

Guest giggles

hi guys, sorry to hear all the bad news on people not selling ther houses, im sure it will happen, we are just the opposite we sold our really quick had to drop 8k , but we have not got our visa yet, applied online 12/2/08 have done meds and pcs and have uploaded all info requested, we are so frustrared we have to leave our home on 4/7/08 and have nowhere to go, so we are thinking of going to oz on a holiday visa for 12 months and staying unytll visa granted and then going to new zealand to validate for 7 days any advice on this from anyone so worried got a cild of 7 and a baby daughter age 7 months contacted adelaide this morning and all they say is they are up to 10/11/07 he saidcould be up to a year before visa granted (if it is) so depressed.please help

regards tricia

Guest The Pom Queen
hi guys, sorry to hear all the bad news on people not selling ther houses, im sure it will happen, we are just the opposite we sold our really quick had to drop 8k , but we have not got our visa yet, applied online 12/2/08 have done meds and pcs and have uploaded all info requested, we are so frustrared we have to leave our home on 4/7/08 and have nowhere to go, so we are thinking of going to oz on a holiday visa for 12 months and staying unytll visa granted and then going to new zealand to validate for 7 days any advice on this from anyone so worried got a cild of 7 and a baby daughter age 7 months contacted adelaide this morning and all they say is they are up to 10/11/07 he saidcould be up to a year before visa granted (if it is) so depressed.please help

regards tricia

Hi Tricia

We were in the same position as yourselves, we sold the house praying we would get our visas. We went in to a rental for 6 months after that we had the choice of renewing but we chose an alternative option of extending it by a month at a time. Thankfully we didn't need to as our visas came through 6 months later. As one of your children is still at school this may be another option for you.

• 2 years later...
Guest Prickles83

we cam over 9 months ago with $10,000.00 and survived just fine- both started work within 6 weeks- still have a house in the UK for sale- anything is possible!

Me, going on my own with £10000, heres my six month budget for one person including setup/car buying.

6 months living

6 months rent - $6500

rent bond - $1000

food, drink and bills - $5200

car - $3000

first Four weeks

two weeks car rental $650

Hotel Formule 1 Brisbane Airport 1 night $71

4 weeks cabin $1300

Food, fuel etc $800

Total £2821

target in dollars - $18521

You didn't mention the "food drink" bill included $5000 of VB.

Hi Tracy,

Think your dead right! We've been in our house nearly 23 years and in theory should be sitting pretty. But After a couple decades that sometimes we feel that the only thing that went right was our kids, we've decided on a new life, even then it's seems to be going t*** up. We've got next to nothing to take especially if we have to drop thousands to sell. We're so determined to just go now though that upseting as it is the feeling of "why always us" We ain't gonna give up our dream.

Sorry it's not always that simple for everyone, but staying another year could make no difference.

If you can't bear the thought of staying, GO.

Good Luck Tania and Dave Whatever you decide.

Keith

I guess one thing good about these forums is that it shows you it's not "why always us". There are a lot of people in the same boat. Good luck to you all.

From personal experience I can say it's been more than worth the risk for us. We had a lot of negative comments when we came as we both gave up good jobs to come to an unkown situation. I was out of work for the first 5 months. My wife got a job straight away so we were OK. I've not been out of work since and we have never regretted the move for one second.

very tight budget.

Keeping home in the UK though - Thank god as two weeks in and I sitll want to go home.

Bought a car for $18,000, our second car needs to be $12,000 or less to keep us in budget, then there are the rta fees and the comprehensive indurance costs to add on.

We;ve now found a rental but we had to pay $700 to reserve it, this week we'll have to go in and pay 2 weeks rent plus the bond and I think something else which takes it to about $3,000+

Then there is the shopping which is more expensive here than the UK so we're trying not to feed the kids too much :biglaugh:

I'm not really going to lots of places with the kids that charge a fee to enter.... if I'm going anywhere cause the weather is more often than not crap. All is forgiven UK im sorry.

The holiday place we're staying in is $800 a week for the 5 of us and we now have bill for 2 weesk rent :(

An life is about to get much more expensive if we don't go home soon as I'm pregnant :( more expense - NHS please forgive me for anything bad I said about you

Jen

Don't worry about the pregnancy. It won't cost you any more here than the UK, there is a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS.

Guest peacock

Sorry to hear how frustrating it must be there at the moment, what part of Oz are you thinking of going to, jobs in WA arent to bad at the moment, espeacially if you are prepared to adapt.

I know people who have rented there home in UK to come here, and have now brought here as well, so it has turned into a bit of a future nest egg when the tide does eventually turn,

Archived