How Many People Are Moving On A Limited Budget

Guest GRAEME AND CATHY

Guest GRAEME AND CATHY

Hello there are there any people or families out there moving to oz on a limited budget ,We are absolutely gutted as the house sale has fallen through again as the chain has collasped . This is the third time this has happened and the months keep moving on . It looks as though where going to have to move regardless and rent the house out over here and rent when we get there can anyone give some insentive and motivation from some where . How much do you think you would need to see you through the first 12 months ?please help

Hi Graeme and Cathy we submitted our 176 visa the end of March, we are still trying to decorate house, etc before we put it on the market, if we don't sell it then like yourselves i won't know what to do, as we have no savings, literally all our money is in our propery so it will be interesting to see what reponse you have to this thread, to give us some idea

Good luck

Tania X

Guest mad dog groomer

Hi guys, have a similar problem in that I am going as a student so work may be difficult to find for the first year and my wife will be limited to 20 hours as well. We have budgeted for £20,000 but will try to make it £15,000 if we can. If we can find some work as well we will be able to reduce the amount of capital we eat into as well. This is our rough budget in £'s.

Rent: 8000

Bills: 2000

Food: 3000

Car: 2000

M/bike: 1000

Petrol: 2000

Other: 2000

We based our figures based on what it costs us to live in this country and what our plans are for Australia and think we can easily live on less especially as we will rent, stop smoking and change to a more outdoor lifestyle. It is, after all, free to go for a walk or laze on the beach.

We think we will still be able to enjoy ourselves and live the lifestyle we want especially if we don't go buying all that crap that we did while we lived in our home. I can't believe how much stuff I have thrown out or ebayed that we have collected or should I say paid for over the last 9 years of living in our house.

Hope that helps

Nigel

So sorry about the rotten luck that prompted this post. Hope your luck changes before the time comes for you to go to Oz.

As for us, don't tell Mr Tyke but I am beginning to consider selling one of his organs on eBay. And not the musical kind, either. :shocked:

Mrs Tyke xx

Guest cazbeckham

Hi sorry to hear about your house sale falling through for a third time. Ours has fallen through once and that was bad enough. Had another viewing today but no feedback as yet.

What are the tax implications of renting your UK house out while living in Australia and if you rented it here in Uk for a year or so until the market picked up, then sold, what are the tax implications on the money made from both the rent and the sale?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be most grateful

Caz

Guest gothicqueen
Hi Graeme and Cathy we submitted our 176 visa the end of March, we are still trying to decorate house, etc before we put it on the market, if we don't sell it then like yourselves i won't know what to do, as we have no savings, literally all our money is in our propery so it will be interesting to see what reponse you have to this thread, to give us some idea

Good luck

Tania X

we are in exactly the same situation as you Tania, totally skint too, to be honest, with all the visa and agents fees. Also worried sick about the house prices as this is eating into our moving money, if the house prices drop any further we may have to cancel all our plans and stay where we are..........:sad: o that would be around five grand wasted.... but Im trying to be positive about it all, and I keep thinking if it does all fall through at least my house will be finally finished!:wacko:

Good luck

Tania X

We too are in the exact same situation, I suppose these days it's not worth worrying about what your house is worth, it's more like, is it saleable. We're trying to stay really positive about the whole thing.

Hi guys it is a real worry though isn't it, the houses were selling really well in our street, our next door neighbour didn't even have chance to get the board up and his was sold, this was about Easter time, but now there are two properties up for sale in our street, but prices seem to be about the same. We'll see more once we get the valuers in again and its on the market, its just a pain in the backside, reading other threads where people can't afford to validate visas and that would be us, especially with being 6 of us.

Anyway thats my rant over with, i'll go and pour myself another glass of wine

Have a gud weekend everyone

Tania X

Hi All

It maybe easier for me to say, but I think sometimes the fresh start is better!

If you go over with nothing you will work hard as a family to get these things back, maybe you wont want them anymore?

going out of a weekend maybe going to a park or a beach with a picnic, rather than a fancy restaurant or going somewhere that costs? If your going out and having a nice day does it need to cost? You may need to put a bit of thought and a bit of planning into it but it will be worth it.

I think if you have a job to go to the pressure is off a little and if you have enough to last you a month + to buy a car you should be able to give it a go! If you dont have job maybe 3 months worth of rent food etc + enough to buy a car.

The question maybe you need to ask is could someone come to this country with enough for 1 month and make a go of it? could you?

Im not saying it will be easy or life is a bed of roses in Australia im just saying that it can be done if you have the drive in you to go out and give it a go.

Best of luck to you all

Geoffrey

Hi guys it is a real worry though isn't it, the houses were selling really well in our street, our next door neighbour didn't even have chance to get the board up and his was sold, this was about Easter time, but now there are two properties up for sale in our street, but prices seem to be about the same. We'll see more once we get the valuers in again and its on the market, its just a pain in the backside, reading other threads where people can't afford to validate visas and that would be us, especially with being 6 of us.

Anyway thats my rant over with, i'll go and pour myself another glass of wine

Have a gud weekend everyone

Tania X

Hi Tania and Colin

Im really disappointed in you! :realmad:

Both you and Colin seem to have so much drive in you, and i know Colin will fit right in he seems like a great man (sure you could say different lol) and he will not find it hard to get work with his attitude, and you both will make a great group of friends in no time.

Keep your chin up, consider this a telling off!!!!! LOL. Pick yourself up i know you have had a bit of bad luck, but tomorrows a new day.

Keep smiling all the best

Geoffrey:wubclub:

PS the flowers are for you dont tell Colin LOL

Hi All

It maybe easier for me to say, but I think sometimes the fresh start is better!

If you go over with nothing you will work hard as a family to get these things back, maybe you wont want them anymore?

going out of a weekend maybe going to a park or a beach with a picnic, rather than a fancy restaurant or going somewhere that costs? If your going out and having a nice day does it need to cost? You may need to put a bit of thought and a bit of planning into it but it will be worth it.

I think if you have a job to go to the pressure is off a little and if you have enough to last you a month + to buy a car you should be able to give it a go! If you dont have job maybe 3 months worth of rent food etc + enough to buy a car.

The question maybe you need to ask is could someone come to this country with enough for 1 month and make a go of it? could you?

Im not saying it will be easy or life is a bed of roses in Australia im just saying that it can be done if you have the drive in you to go out and give it a go.

Best of luck to you all

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey, we don't go out much in this Country anyway, with both of us working full-time and we both work saturdays, also it is a constant struggle with 4 children to provide for. Don't know if anyone else feels like this. Also my x-partner doesn't provide for his 3 children so that doesn't help, and everytime i phone the CSA they give me the run around. So like you suggest if we could survive 1 month in Oz we're both prepared to work, so i'm sure it can't be much harder in Oz. What are other peoples feelings about this. Oh i'm sure doing some ranting tonight.:arghh:

Best wishes to everyone in a similiar situation

Tania XX

Hello there are there any people or families out there moving to oz on a limited budget ,We are absolutely gutted as the house sale has fallen through again as the chain has collasped . This is the third time this has happened and the months keep moving on . It looks as though where going to have to move regardless and rent the house out over here and rent when we get there can anyone give some insentive and motivation from some where . How much do you think you would need to see you through the first 12 months ?please help

Me, going on my own with £10000, heres my six month budget for one person including setup/car buying.

6 months living

6 months rent - $6500

rent bond - $1000

food, drink and bills - $5200

car - $3000

first Four weeks

two weeks car rental $650

Hotel Formule 1 Brisbane Airport 1 night $71

4 weeks cabin $1300

Food, fuel etc $800

Total £2821

target in dollars - $18521

Hi Geoffrey, we don't go out much in this Country anyway, with both of us working full-time and we both work saturdays, also it is a constant struggle with 4 children to provide for. Don't know if anyone else feels like this. Also my x-partner doesn't provide for his 3 children so that doesn't help, and everytime i phone the CSA they give me the run around. So like you suggest if we could survive 1 month in Oz we're both prepared to work, so i'm sure it can't be much harder in Oz. What are other peoples feelings about this. Oh i'm sure doing some ranting tonight.:arghh:

Best wishes to everyone in a similiar situation

Tania XX

A very good friend of mine went with nothing ten years ago and he turned his life right around own house buisness ect now.

He told me if you are prepared to work hard then you will earn a good wage and have a good living.

I worked with him nine years ago whilst doing the backbacker year and to be fair I think if you take a couple of months money e.g $5000 things will work out, mainly beacause they have to.

Good luck,

Mark

Guest gothicqueen

For us its not so much the fact of going with nothing, we just couldnt afford to go if we dont get what we need for the house, airfares, first months rental and stuff, plus the cost of gettig all our belongings over there, you are talking at least £10k we were anticipating taking at least £25k with us, but at the house prices are dropping and dropping, if we dont get sorted soon we could be in negative equity and then bang! all our plans have to come to an end....................

Guest Hammer

Hi Tracy,

Think your dead right! We've been in our house nearly 23 years and in theory should be sitting pretty. But After a couple decades that sometimes we feel that the only thing that went right was our kids, we've decided on a new life, even then it's seems to be going t*** up. We've got next to nothing to take especially if we have to drop thousands to sell. We're so determined to just go now though that upseting as it is the feeling of "why always us" We ain't gonna give up our dream.

Sorry it's not always that simple for everyone, but staying another year could make no difference.

If you can't bear the thought of staying, GO.

Good Luck Tania and Dave Whatever you decide.

Keith

Hi Tania and Colin

Im really disappointed in you! :realmad:

Both you and Colin seem to have so much drive in you, and i know Colin will fit right in he seems like a great man (sure you could say different lol) and he will not find it hard to get work with his attitude, and you both will make a great group of friends in no time.

Keep your chin up, consider this a telling off!!!!! LOL. Pick yourself up i know you have had a bit of bad luck, but tomorrows a new day.

Keep smiling all the best

Geoffrey:wubclub:

PS the flowers are for you dont tell Colin LOL

we may have to go on a limited budget... not what we wanted to do but thats the way things seem to be going for lots of peeps on here... we were hoping to go with the equity on our house... 100,000 but thats if and that is a big if we sell it AGAIN!!!!!

failing that it is on a wing an a prayer!!!!!!!!!!1

there is no deneying the less cash you can come out with ,the harder it will be but if you live within your means and prioratise correctly theres no reason why you cant make a success of your new life here.

As jo says you do pay for everything but theres savings in other ways too,

enjoy the crap aussie tv ,dont fork out on foxtel ,,

find a bulk bill Dr not one that carries a gap fee,

buy a cheapy PAYG mobile instead of a top of the range contract one,

buy a 1.8 or 2ltr car instead of a big gas guzzler,

shop around for food ,little veggies and butcher shops can be lots cheaper then Woolys & Coles,

There are lots of ways of saving a few dollars here n there if money is tight,as someone said the other day its not an expensive way of living here its the way some people lead an expensive lifestyle.

Cal x

p.s,, rental off a uk property will be classed as foreign income by Centrelink here(someone asked earlier in the thread)

Guest The Pom Queen

Pommypaul don't forget furniture or are you shipping yours out? There are not many furnished rentals over here unless you go in to a short term holiday let

Guest JenJen

very tight budget.

Keeping home in the UK though - Thank god as two weeks in and I sitll want to go home.

Bought a car for $18,000, our second car needs to be $12,000 or less to keep us in budget, then there are the rta fees and the comprehensive indurance costs to add on.

We;ve now found a rental but we had to pay $700 to reserve it, this week we'll have to go in and pay 2 weeks rent plus the bond and I think something else which takes it to about $3,000+

Then there is the shopping which is more expensive here than the UK so we're trying not to feed the kids too much :biglaugh:

I'm not really going to lots of places with the kids that charge a fee to enter.... if I'm going anywhere cause the weather is more often than not crap. All is forgiven UK im sorry.

The holiday place we're staying in is $800 a week for the 5 of us and we now have bill for 2 weesk rent :(

An life is about to get much more expensive if we don't go home soon as I'm pregnant :( more expense - NHS please forgive me for anything bad I said about you

Jen

Guest Ms_Fi

We're not going out with very much at all (about £10K is we're lucky) but we're going to be moving in with family initially and have already got a car waiting for us.

It can be done - we don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment as I'm studying and my partners off work sick but we're doing fine. At least in NSW the weather will be better!!

My partners got a job lined up for when we get out there and I can easily pick up work while I'm waiting for a proper job to get sorted - the inlaws are going to help with the kids and the school run so we've got a lot of help and support waiting for us.

Would be nice if the exchange rate improved though!

Guest giggles

Hi guys well we also will be going on a limited budget had to knock 10.000 grand of house but have sold and is moving out on 4th july (nowhere to live yet) . We will be taking after clearing all debts here around £55k and plus the way the exchange rate is it sounds no where near enough as we are going to rent for 6 months hubby is a carpenter/joiner hoping he will get work pretty quick going to gold coast as soon as that bloody visa arrives so frustrated.

regards tricia:arghh::Randy-git:

We are in the same position, but still going, actually, my huuby is staying back with our business in USA, I am going with our two sons, am terrified, going to be a struggle, but got to go, can;t lose that visa after trying so hard to get it. I have to just go and take each day as it comes. I can do it, so you guys will be fine. Life is a bitch then you die. It will all work out, it always does. I don't know anyone, and have never been to Perth so its going to be all new, but what an adventure.

Maybe I am crazy, but life is short and your only here once, just go for it, worrying won't help, it will all work out. Good Luck x

Archived