Potential moving from Adelaide to Melbourne....did you leave SA and was it a good decision?

wozzie2202

We have a potential dilemma. My other half is on the verge of an excellent job offer across in Melbourne. However, we moved over here with the intention of settling in SA and when we arrived got the girls settled in to school, enrolled in to clubs etc and they are really settled.

Having moved around a lot in the past, we reassured our girls when we moved to Oz, that they would not have to move again and they have settled so well. We love what SA has to offer in terms of lifestyle and accessibility…I love the size of Adelaide, the hills, the scenery and the closeness to the beach….what I don’t like..the lack of employment opportunities for my husband, poor government decisions, high utility costs and not so great prospects for our kids in the future if the job situation worsens!. So we are now in a dilemma…we plan for him to commute for the foreseeable future as I also work and have a good job in SA, but in the back of my mind I know that a move to Melbourne could potentially be a good move for us career wise and education wise for the children (SA education has so far not filled me with confidence and I know SA results are the worst in Australia). To be honest though, I hate big cities, and with the likelihood of me having to work in the CBD, the thought of the traffic and commute fills me with dread unless I am lucky enough to get work in the SE ‘burbs. The thought of wetter and cooler winters is also not very appealing...it' been bad enough in SA this year as it is.

I guess I’m looking for information from those that may have moved from SA to Victoria (with families) and whether you feel it was the right decision for you in hindsight. I realise everyone’s journey is different but I read so many times that people that have left SA state it’s the best thing they ever did. If we moved we would look to settle somewhere in the South East within 30 mins of the coast but near to parks etc. So…did you make the move, and do you miss SA?

Thanks in advance

Don't know whereabouts you are living in Adelaide, but I have heard the complete opposite regarding schooling here compared to Melbourne - from people that have made the move in the other direction, from VIC to SA. There are plenty of excellent schools around the metro area with fantastic results, and the private schools are a fraction of what you would pay in VIC. Don't forget SA covers a huge area for results tables - and includes a lot of outback areas as well which would bring the average down. If you are not happy with the standards at the particular school your children are at though, perhaps a move interstate wouldn't be such a bad thing... but if not, I think in your place I would be looking at changing schools in Adelaide as well!

PS I have a lot of time for Jay Wetherill too - I think the governmental decisions that blight South Australia tend to come from the Feds, and that will be just as bad in VIC as they are not too fond of Daniel Andrews either who is way too progressive for their tastes!

Edited by Diane

Hi Diane, don't get me wrong, I don't think the schools are terrible...it does take some adjusting to in terms of the little homework they seem to get and they are less focused on academic teachings than the UK. We would certainly consider private once the children reach high school age. My main concern is the growth of private industry in Adelaide...or lack of. SA has a high proportion of public sector roles and if you don't happen to work in the public sector but moreso in private industry...that is where SA is struggling. Unfortunately cronyism does appear to be rife in SA and many migrants are struggling due to the lack of local experience and the protected recruitment circles that exist..i.e. it's not what you know, but who you know. A lot of talent is leaving SA due to this which is a real shame but employers need to change their mindset and be prepared to step outside of their comfort zone from time to time and employ individuals who can bring new ideas and experiences to their businesses. To watch South Australia get hammered for taxes and utilities and to see industries closing is certainly food for thought for the future.

I think the more relaxed approach to primary schooling is not just confined to SA. You need to stop comparing the UK system to the Aus one as they are different. It can take a while to let go of the UK system but to settle into the Aus one, you do need to do so (for your own sanity if nothing else :) ) I actually like its less full on with far less homework and the pressures that can bring. Education isn't solely about academics and I think Aus schooling at primary level seems to be more geared to giving kids some much needed skills in other areas. It took me a while to get used to the system when we moved over but I was looking forward to it being less full on that UK schooling and quite happy to leave the testing, homework and the extra pressure put on kids there these days. I read no end of reports about kids being stressed or suffering anxiety because of pressure at school in the modern age (for kids to keep up, do well, pass tests, homework etc) and that its not doing our kids any favours and that its probably not a good direction for our kids to head in. For me, having experience of both systems, I know what I prefer and it ain't the UK one.

Private schooling will most likely see more homework and be more drilled in the academics. If that appeals perhaps consider it for primary also. There are faith based schools around with cheaper fees (Catholic schools seem reasonable price but of course, they are Catholic and it would entail a religious aspect to attending such a school that you need to be ok with).

I tend to think kids will do well where they are happy. A kid can be in the most expensive private school going but if they are unhappy or feel stressed to do well etc, it can really impact their well being and their schooling. A kid can be in a not so great school but feeling less pressure, liking it there and do well. Also friends they make can have a big impact and as kids get older we have less sway in that aspect of their lives.

FWIW, we moved schools when we had been here almost a year. I know we only moved within Adelaide but given the sprawl we could have moved to another city IYKWIM. I had hoped to keep my son at his first school for the academic year and to change schools for the new school year but the school commute wore me down after a term so we talked it over with him, let him do a couple of transition days and see his new school and moved him midway through the school year. The first few weeks were tough going in some respects but he made friends, found his feet and has not looked back. He's in a fab school (far better than his previous one so shopping round can improve academic and other standards thats for sure) and didn't miss his old school. We stayed in touch with a few of his friends from his old school and see them on weekends and school holidays but as time has gone on, its only really 1 or 2 we see regularly, not the 4 or 5 from when we first moved school.

In terms of moving, if you and your husband feel its the right move for you and will be better all round, then go for it. I'm the first one to say no point staying somewhere you are unhappy. And not being able to secure work in the city you wanted to settle in can go a long way to making you unhappy thats for sure. And bitter, angry and resentful if it goes on too long. Adelaide doesn't work for everyone and perhaps it might be better to stay put with the kids till the end of the year but let your husband go on ahead and start work there and make sure its right for him etc. Then tie things up here, he can perhaps keep his eye on the job market here to see if something comes up (if its where you want to be, might not hurt to see if you could have options here) and then if its all going well for him in his job, make the move with the kids over the summer holidays.

If at some point you want and are able to return to Adelaide, then go for it. If not, hopefully Melbourne will tick your boxes and give you the life you are after.

I know of a few people who have moved interstate for one reason or another. Some found they just didn't like Adelaide, wanted more tropical and so headed to QLD, others for work to Melbourne, Sydney and QLD (fwiw the family who moved to QLD for work moved back to Adelaide within 6 months). Those that left for employment reasons found or secured work elsewhere. As to if they are ultimately happier with the city they have ended up in, I don't know. They took a job and moved and are making a go of it. I've not heard them say that leaving Adelaide was the best thing they ever did. It may have been for work reasons a good move but in other aspects of their life, I'm not so sure. The family that moved back from QLD, it didn't work out for them making the move for work and they seem very content and happy to be back in Adelaide and their kids are happy being back too.

I really hope whatever you decide that things work out for you and you are as a family and individuals, happy with wherever you end up :)

If you are pretty settled in SA then I would be tempted to stay. If your hubby doesn't mind commuting for a while but also keep a lookout for jobs locally. Sometimes it looks good in a resume when you are employed in a decent job. If he does manage to get an interview in SA it will sound good that he'll be able to say he wants to move back there 'cos the family like it so much.

I too like smaller Cities. I've been lucky enough to travel and see most with my job and Melbourne would be 2nd bottom of my list with Canberra bottom.

I like Adelaide and if the climate suits you and you enjoy the beaches I don't think Melbourne will cut it.

There's an awful lot more to being happy than a job and career. The older I've got the more I've realised it.

I'm not overly concerned about the relaxed attitude towards schooling over here.. I did expect it to be that way, but am just a little surprised that my eldest (11) has not brought one piece of maths homework home in her entire school year as it's her weakest subject. There are also no parents evenings so you have to make the appointment to speak to the teacher which can be tough if you work full time. I am just intrigued to get thoughts from people that have moved from SA as to whether they felt it was the right decision for them...didn't intend for the post to turn in to a topic on schooling. If my other half were to secure a role in SA tomorrow it wouldn't be a concern...we would put down roots but when employers are prepared to present you with high salaries for moving to Vic...it's something we have to consider, as unemployment can place a massive strain in relationships. I'd be happy to do the commuting option and just hope Hubby can secure something in SA further down the line...we always knew the first couple of years would be tough.

I'm not overly concerned about the relaxed attitude towards schooling over here.. I did expect it to be that way, but am just a little surprised that my eldest (11) has not brought one piece of maths homework home in her entire school year as it's her weakest subject. There are also no parents evenings so you have to make the appointment to speak to the teacher which can be tough if you work full time. I am just intrigued to get thoughts from people that have moved from SA as to whether they felt it was the right decision for them...didn't intend for the post to turn in to a topic on schooling. If my other half were to secure a role in SA tomorrow it wouldn't be a concern...we would put down roots but when employers are prepared to present you with high salaries for moving to Vic...it's something we have to consider, as unemployment can place a massive strain in relationships. I'd be happy to do the commuting option and just hope Hubby can secure something in SA further down the line...we always knew the first couple of years would be tough.

I wouldn't worry about the schooling too much. My youngest has autism and we sent him to a "private" school that had a stream for kids with learning difficulties and were a lot more strict with things like uniform and homework. He loved the school and was very proud to go there. My eldest went to the local state school, never seemed to have homework and the uniform was not strictly adhered to. In my opinion though the youngest used to get too much homework that only stressed him out. We used to do most of it for him anyway as he couldn't cope. Then you would find out they had been watching films at school??

The eldest has done fine since he left. He never wanted to go to uni and got himself an apprenticeship where he surprised me and his Mum with his performance. Sometimes kids don't really try until they find something that seems relevant to what they want to do. Can't say I blame them, there's an awful lot of schoolwork that's boring.

Just on the schooling and homework thing, my youngest (year 6) has a teacher that understands that kids have stuff on after school and gives the kids time to do homework during the day. More often than not he gets his homework done in this time and doesn't bring any home. Or he brings it home and refuses to do it so ends up doing it in the time allowed at school. My eldest is in public school in year 9 and gets quite a bit of homework and got quite a bit in year 8 as well. Unlike a friends daughter at a private school who was hardly getting any in year 8 or the beginning of year 9. I think the amount of homework they get depends a lot on the individual teacher and, to some extent, the policy of the school. Studies have shown homework has little benefit anyway so no point in worrying about it.

I can understand where you are coming from with the jobs thing for your OH. My OH works in IT and has mostly worked in government departments or government funded organisations. He has now got a job in the private sector but is working in Adelaide for a Melbourne based company. I have to say there is no way we would have moved to Melbourne for his work. It's far too big a city for me and we have the added draw here of my OH's family, including his elderly mother. My OH has friends that have moved to Melbourne for work and are perfectly happy. However they are well off and probably live in a really nice (and expensive) area.

I wouldn't worry about how other people have got on moving interstate. Some will have loved it and it will have been the best thing they ever did. Others will hate it and wished they never considered it (most will probably be somewhere in between). You only need to worry about how you will find it and whether it will work for you. I would start by researching areas, rents and schools - a bit like you probably did before moving to Adelaide. Then go and have a look as there is no substitute for seeing a place in person, but remember a visit is not the same as living there. Personally I really didn't like Melbourne when I went for a visit - too big and too busy for my liking - but I imagine if I lived there I'd get to know the side streets and the places to go to avoid the crowds. My only concern would be being able to afford to live in a nice area not too far away from work.

With Melbourne ( as I guess with many other places) it very much depends on where you live. Some places are definitely to be avoided but others are wonderful!

Not only that, depending on where you or your husband are going to be working, commuting from outside of Melbourne is also an option. A LOT of people commute from smaller cities like Geelong and Ballarat. I commuted from Lara (a town on the northern outskirts of Geelong) up until a decade ago and it was faster for me to get to work on the Vline train than it was for people living out in the South East or even those commuting on the metro lines from places closer in like Werribee.