Rabies blood test passed, what is next?

Nifa77

Hi all,

Im just after some direction if anyone can help? We started the process for our labradoodle to emigrate to Australia. He has passed the blood test for rabies and our vet has completed his pet passport which I am collecting tomorrow. The earliest he can fly is 28th March 2017. Can anyone advise what else needs to be done and when or where I can look for this information? Unfortunately our vet has never done a pet passport for Australia and she doesn't know what else needs to be done, she has asked us to find out.

Thank you in advance

Hi all,

Im just after some direction if anyone can help? We started the process for our labradoodle to emigrate to Australia. He has passed the blood test for rabies and our vet has completed his pet passport which I am collecting tomorrow. The earliest he can fly is 28th March 2017. Can anyone advise what else needs to be done and when or where I can look for this information? Unfortunately our vet has never done a pet passport for Australia and she doesn't know what else needs to be done, she has asked us to find out.

Thank you in advance

I think you need to find a vet that understands the requirements better or contact a pet shipper. Pet passports have no relevance for a move to Australia, I believe they are a Europe thing.

Guest Priscilla101

You don't need a pet passport

you need an export certificate to take animal from uk and import one to get in. These need to be signed by a OH vet. No matter what the receptionist tells you. If they're not OH they can't do it. The vet will know if they are as it's an extra qualification. The defra site for oz tells you all the requirements they want to get the animal in.

I used quantas to fly my cat here so contacted the local airport office. Who were fab. My cat went from Newcastle to Dubai so had to wait 8 hours thee as per their rules. Then fly on. Wuantas organised all that.

I contacted the quarantine facility here (only one is in Melbourne so consider that in your costs if you're going somewhere else to live) all animals go through Melbourne site. Paid online. And collected her 10 days after arriving

Hi

Lots of vets issue pet passports for this, but the pets really dont need one.

Have a read of the DAFF/AQIS site and have a read of this http://www.petairuk.com and choose destinations and there is an article about flying dogs to Australia.

At your stage now - you need to contact shippers to get quotes and then decide how much help you want and which shipper to use. Also you need a rough idea of when you want your dog to travel.

There is loads of help for you and your vets so dont you worry :)

Hi

Lots of vets issue pet passports for this, but the pets really dont need one.

Have a read of the DAFF/AQIS site and have a read of this www.petairuk.com and choose destinations and there is an article about flying dogs to Australia.

At your stage now - you need to contact shippers to get quotes and then decide how much help you want and which shipper to use. Also you need a rough idea of when you want your dog to travel.

There is loads of help for you and your vets so dont you worry :)

Thank you for all your replies.

I have just returned from my vets, where she had in fact issued a pet passport ☹️. We sat down together and went through the websites above and she is a lot clearer about what needs to be done. She is going to fill in the necessary paperwork and let me know when we need to return for the next treatments etc.

It is all so mind boggling

I would strongly urge you to use a pet shipping company such as Bob from Pet Air above. One tiny error in paperwork and your dog can find itself not going anywhere. Also, you would be amazed at how much things can change while the process is happening with via regulations or airline own rules. For example, a couple of days prior to our little ones flight, the airline decided it would no longer fly dogs. Luckily, our pet transport company were able to sort it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all your replies.

I have just returned from my vets, where she had in fact issued a pet passport ☹️. We sat down together and went through the websites above and she is a lot clearer about what needs to be done. She is going to fill in the necessary paperwork and let me know when we need to return for the next treatments etc.

It is all so mind boggling ?[/quote

As very stormy said please consider a shipping company that knows what they are doing

my vet helped all the way BUT at the last minute lost a crucial blood test if it hadn't been for my shipper i would have been totally stuck We had actually flown out of the uk and left our boy with the shippers they sprang into gear and he scraped through the test Just can't leave things to chance !Plus is your vet approved if not they can't do the process for Oz

Edited by Patphillips47