Validity of PR visa

kulsumt

Yah ok. But we all had visited AU just to get our visa stamped. We stayed for only 8 days & returned back to India. It is now we are ready to move for our permanent stay. If we enter now there will not be any exit until we complete 4 years. Please let me know if that is the case what are we still eligible for citizenship?

Before the epiry date of your PR just come to Australia, and your PR will be automatically extends to next 5 years.

To become Citizen you need to be in Aus for 4 years including 1 yr with PR.

You dont need to stay continously until next 4 years to become Citizen, ones your PR extends for next 5 years you can travel as you wish, But what ever the time you will be out of Auatralia you have to wait those many days more to apply for Citizenship.

I hope this will help you.

Before the epiry date of your PR just come to Australia, and your PR will be automatically extends to next 5 years.

To become Citizen you need to be in Aus for 4 years including 1 yr with PR.

You dont need to stay continously until next 4 years to become Citizen, ones your PR extends for next 5 years you can travel as you wish, But what ever the time you will be out of Auatralia you have to wait those many days more to apply for Citizenship.

I hope this will help you.

Just to clarify. PR is not extended, it doesn't need to be because it is already permanent and something permanent cannot be extended by definition.

The right to travel to Australia is not permanent but it certainly isn't automatically extended. Permission to continue to travel to Australia needs to be applied for in the form of a residents return visa.

Just to clarify. PR is not extended, it doesn't need to be because it is already permanent and something permanent cannot be extended by definition.

The right to travel to Australia is not permanent but it certainly isn't automatically extended. Permission to continue to travel to Australia needs to be applied for in the form of a residents return visa.

if iam not wrong, one of my friend's initial 5yrs of PR was finished and he went to immigration to get a new STAMP which showed for the next 5years.

if iam not wrong, one of my friend's initial 5yrs of PR was finished and he went to immigration to get a new STAMP which showed for the next 5years.

First off they don't put stamps in passports anymore. Secondly you have to have lived in Australia for 2 years out of the last 3 years (or possibly 4 it's a while since I read the rules) to qualify for a 5 year RRV - otherwise it'll be for a much shorter period.

Going back to the OPs original question if he and the adult members of his family all move to Australia before 1st June 2017 and stay for 3 years they'll all be eligible to apply for citizenship. No need to even apply for an RRV unless they want to leave and return. The residence period is 4 years of which you can be out of the country for 12 months - which can be the first 12 months of the 4 years which is why they only need to stay for 3 years before they can apply. And I mentioned adult members because the residency period doesn't apply to children only the adult whose application they're included on has to meet the requirement.

Edited by Ken

No they would have gone to get a resident return visa.

PR does not "finish". It is permanent.