Securing a house rental on arrival

fjm

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section.

When we returned to the UK, having lived in Australia for just under 3yrs, we had to pay 6mths rent upfront in order to secure a rental property. Is this something that is also generally required on arrival in Australia? I know that when we arrived in Australia we had no issues with being granted car finance etc - which I was surprised at, being a new migrant with no credit history.

How easy is it to secure a rental property as a new migrant? I should add that my husband and kids are all Australian citizens and I have PR.

Rules vary depending on the state. If you google for your state you should get the government site which will give you the rules and legal requirements for tenants and landlords including deposits.

You should not need 6 months up front anywhere.

The amount of bond and forward rent can depend on the amount of the weekly rent and how it is paid, monthly weekly or every two weeks.

I understood, although I might be wrong, that rental agents are not allowed to request six months up front. Still if you don't have jobs to go to, it might be something you choose to offer in order to secure the property of choice.

Archived