What do we need to legally drive our car...

aconcannon

Please can anybody help in answering a few questions for me...we bought a brand new Hyundai i30 Active X last November & as a result didn't need to pay for rego, we do however pay for fully comp insurance. We're coming up to our 1 year anniversary of buying the car so will soon need to pay for our rego....is it a standard price for everybody or does it differ in price & if so how can I calculate what ours will cost? Also, if we buy our rego through Alianz who we get our insurance from, do we still need to pay for both or does the fully comp cover everything? Is tree anything else we need to get / pay for or is it just rego? We're based in Sydney. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rego is made up of two figures one being gov tax the other is compulsory third party insurance provided by an insurance company, both these are collectively termed 'Rego' and is paid as one sum, however you can nominate which insurance company you wish to use (there could be a slight variation in cost but not much to worry about)

Any other additional insurance is completely separate to the rego, and is optional. It is advisable to, and prudent to always have fully comp, especially if you have a new or expensive car

Your rego is made up of two figures one being gov tax the other is compulsory third party insurance provided by an insurance company, both these are collectively termed 'Rego' and is paid as one sum, however you can nominate which insurance company you wish to use (there could be a slight variation in cost but not much to worry about)

Any other additional insurance is completely separate to the rego, and is optional. It is advisable to, and prudent to always have fully comp, especially if you have a new or expensive car

Thanks for your help. So it's not a standard price then rego? How do they calculate it? Is it like UK car tax where there are bands depending on your car? I'm just curious how much roughly I'm going to get stung? Thanks

..is it a standard price for everybody or does it differ in price & if so how can I calculate what ours will cost?..... We're based in Sydney. Thanks!

The first thing to know about car rego in Australia is that it is administered by the various State transport authorities - so conditions and prices vary from one state to another.

This link gives you an indicative cost for your car based on its weight: it won't be exact for your model but will give you some idea of what to expect. Also the links from that page will give you any other info you want about registration in NSW.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/fees/registration-costs.html

The first thing to know about car rego in Australia is that it is administered by the various State transport authorities - so conditions and prices vary from one state to another.

This link gives you an indicative cost for your car based on its weight: it won't be exact for your model but will give you some idea of what to expect. Also the links from that page will give you any other info you want about registration in NSW.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/fees/registration-costs.html

Thanks very much!

NSW is the worst for car registration/insurance. I swear its all a massive rort, especially the green slip. I have colleagues that moved from the Gold Coast to western Sydney and they went for paying less than $1000/yr for rego and comp insurance to almost $2500. Theres no reason there should be that much of a discrepancy between states.

NSW is the worst for car registration/insurance. I swear its all a massive rort, especially the green slip. I have colleagues that moved from the Gold Coast to western Sydney and they went for paying less than $1000/yr for rego and comp insurance to almost $2500. Theres no reason there should be that much of a discrepancy between states.

WOW that is nearly as bad at Ontario in Canada. I tried one online compare site, and it came back between CA$5000 to $7000. I nearly had a heart attack.

Think it would depend on the number of accidents and claims made, Sydney higher population, more cars on the road.

Higher risk (of theft and accidents).

It's also not just the value of the car, but the cost of the damage you can do per accident.

Still well under $1000 for insurance out west (if you bother).

Archived