Help! Expensive dentist treatment required

swallow

So been in australia for about 18 months now.

Had my first checkup at dentist since ive been here. Been very busy. Came out worried as have advised a treatment plan of $7800. I had a mini heart attack when they said. Problem is i cant afford this!! Ill need to get a loan to repay or take a plan out.

My question is. I have been talking around at work and someone suggested bali or somewhere else in asia to get my teeth done at a fraction of the cost.

I basically need two old fillings removed and most a tooth with a tooth restoration to two 4 teeth. Cracks across teeth from overbite.

I would consider this but sounds a little dodgy. Any advice would be great!! Thanks

Also get a second opinion from another dentist. I'd also suggest going back to your current dentist, telling them you can't afford it and asking if there's an alternative.

Twenty years ago, my dentist told me I needed expensive dental work on my two front teeth which were at odd angles, and had a big filling between them. He said the filling was getting old and was too big to replace so I'd need restorative work at my next appointment. He quoted $5,000.

I said I'd think about it, and six months later went back for my next appointment. My regular dentist was on holiday and I saw a locum. The locum looked at the quote and said, "you know, there is a resin solution that would work. It won't last forever but it will give you a few years' grace, if you can't afford the major work right now".

I said yes please and I think it cost me around $250. The "few years" turned out to be fifteen years - and when it needed replacing, I just had the same thing done again.

Dentists in Australia assume everybody wants an absolutely perfect smile and will always quote for the ultimate result unless you push them.

So been in australia for about 18 months now.

Had my first checkup at dentist since ive been here. Been very busy. Came out worried as have advised a treatment plan of $7800. I had a mini heart attack when they said. Problem is i cant afford this!! Ill need to get a loan to repay or take a plan out.

My question is. I have been talking around at work and someone suggested bali or somewhere else in asia to get my teeth done at a fraction of the cost.

I basically need two old fillings removed and most a tooth with a tooth restoration to two 4 teeth. Cracks across teeth from overbite.

I would consider this but sounds a little dodgy. Any advice would be great!! Thanks

I have never quite got the logic of going to Asia to see a dentist. By time you factor in flights, hotels and time off work it surely will leave you much the same position? Bearing in mind that you probably cannot get everything done in one appointment.

I would maybe think about other options though, like does it really all need to be done at once, perhaps this treatment can be spread out over a year or two or longer.

I would certainly get a second opinion. We have two dental practices in the regional area i live. I been to both one is considerably more expensive than th other. Many in the area say the more expensive one is better but i disagree having used both i think they are pretty much the same apart from the cost.