Visa options?

Dorsetbrit

I was after visa advice not family therapy, thank you for your concern but I wouldnt make such a large decision without speaking to my daughter first, she's going to finish her exams first then we plan to move. She has a choice to start a new life in Australia or stay with her mum in england and she has chosen Australia. We will keep checking she feels the same the nearer we get to leaving but she's very excited by it as we all are.

I've wondered about how or whether to reply, but here goes. sometimes when new posters make their first post they don't include enough information, so because some of us older members have seen the heartache that the unexpected refusal of a teenager refusing last minute to come, advice is given that is unexpected by the OP. Advice given on PIO is given volunterally with the intention to help not criticise, even though that isn't always obvious.

Wish you all the best with your plans to emigrate.

I was after visa advice not family therapy, thank you for your concern but I wouldnt make such a large decision without speaking to my daughter first

Of course you wouldn't and no one is suggesting you would. It's great that your daughter is keen as mustard now - but in the next two years she'll be transitioning to a young adult and her attitudes and needs will undergo some radical changes, unless she's a very exceptional girl! As you rightly say, you won't dream of going if she decides she doesn't want to go - so we're just flagging that as a possible issue because as Ramot says, we've seen the same thing happen before. If you go soon while she's still eager to go, she'll settle in no problem. If you wait until she's more cemented in her group of friends (and possibly boyfriend), you may miss your window of opportunity. If you don't mind either way, then it's not an issue but some of us thought it was worth pointing out, just in case you hadn't thought of it.

Frequently people come to these forums asking one question, and because we volunteer advice they didn't ask for, they learn valuable information they wouldn't even have thought to ask for - and that makes them better prepared. So that's why we do it. As Ramot says, it's certainly not meant as criticism.

Edited by Marisawright

Adding my thoughts as an accountant who arrived this week in Brisbane, leaving Christchurch last week. I came on a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, and oddly that has forced the hand of my UK employer which has offices in Australia, and I will start a contract next week.

As Bungo has said it's pretty straightforward for accountants if you can meet the criteria, and bluntly the cost is low (including the visa itself) until you actually move - that's when it really ramps up. FWIW I would not bother with the 457 - go straight for the 189 and then that gives you the most options.

Advice would be to speak to a MARA agent (there are already some good ones on this thread), and you will need to include all potential complications relating to children - however that sounds like a non issue but is important to tie off all loose ends which is why advice has been given by the old hands - that really helped me navigate the visa process.

Good luck!!

Ferrets

I think i'm going to get my wife signed up as I feel a little like the guy in the middle. Great to hear the accountants first hand of things, my wife is from Christchurch to. It sounds to me going for the 189 will be the best option and hopefully seeking work could be sourced before we leave, ,maybe rent for a while before buying once we know the areas and surroundings. Sorry to the guys trying to help over the children side of things, clearly people have had experiences on this so it would be wise to take advise, it just through me as it was a complete change of subject. We know a move will be a super hard decision on us all as well as how the feelings of the family that we will leave behind. This is why we don't want to rush in to it but im not getting any younger and id at least like to say one day "we gave it a good go" even if long term it didnt work out.

Thanks to all with the posts and ill get my wife to join in with her thoughts later, she got excited when I said a few accountants have been in contact.