Australia living in the dark ages

Diane

Exactly the same as opposite sex couples. Maybe instead of making same sex marriage legal maybe we should just make all marriage illegal.

making it illegal for everyone might be easier. my friend is from a culture that allows plural marriage & she is a second wife but oz doesnt recognise plural marriage even though she was legally married in her own country. she thinks if same sex marriage goes ahead in oz then people like her family should also be recognised. which i suppose is fair enough.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is an interesting argument actually. Objectively, it is just another form of relationship that can be recognised by the state or not. The marriage equality debate goes to whether gay marriage fits with Australian values. Most people in Australia would agree that it does (I'm guessing) but most people in Australia would vote against plural marriage because it doesn't fit with Australian values. Ultimately, that is what is in question and that is not objective, even though your friend makes a reasonable argument.

The irony is that Labor are quite prepared to have Same Sex marriage delayed for 3 years by refusing to support the plebiscite.

It will get put on the back burner as a result.

So the result of a plebiscite is a foregone conclusion in your view? And, despite any plebiscite being non-binding you are of the view that the Liberals would have abided by the result.

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God is a human construct though.

Do you follow all such bible verses with such vehemence? How about showing some love for your neighbour?

• Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19
  • When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12
  • You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT
  • If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

So the result of a plebiscite is a foregone conclusion in your view? And, despite any plebiscite being non-binding you are of the view that the Liberals would have abided by the result.

Not at all.

I expect it will be extremely close.

I also know the politicians will back the result.

this is what im asking though. i thought same sex couples are treated exactly the same as legally married couples under the law in oz. you say they arent treated equally so i am asking in what ways are same sex couples not treated equally.

They can't marry! That's how they are discriminated against

if you don't approve of gay marriage then don't marry someone of the same sex, it's quite simple !

Its called progress Keith. Obviously there are some who would prefer it if gay sex was still punishable with prison and that women didn't have the vote but society moves forward. Inevitably some get left behind I suppose but they eventually die out.

If that is your argument in favour of gay marriage, I think it needs a bit of polishing.

I also know the politicians will back the result.

That's a dangerous assumption. They've already said it won't be binding. The ultra right wingers in the Liberal Party have Turnbull by the short and curlies - there's a high possibility that Turnbull would have to choose between accepting a yes vote and losing his leadership. I'd put my money on him choosing to keep his leadership.

i dont know much about this in oz. apart from not being able to register a marriage what rights will the change give same sex couples?

The situation is complex in Oz because some laws vary from state to state but, at the moment, same-sex couples are still often discriminated against in areas like superannuation, pensions, tax concessions, carer's leave (sick partner), Medicare and PBS safety net, death benefits, access to aged care...... even occasionally being treated differently by hospital staff when their partner is critically ill or dying.

Its called progress Keith. Obviously there are some who would prefer it if gay sex was still punishable with prison and that women didn't have the vote but society moves forward. Inevitably some get left behind I suppose but they eventually die out.

Up to now I have not stated my position on this subject, some may probably have made incorrect assumptions, but here goes, I have no problems with gays, lesbians, cross dressers, trans genders or whatever of being in some form of union, my view is that they want to hi-jack marriage and use it as some sort of weapon in their quest. To me marriage is between a man and a woman, anything which differs to this should also have a different name. This is progress!

That's a dangerous assumption. They've already said it won't be binding. The ultra right wingers in the Liberal Party have Turnbull by the short and curlies - there's a high possibility that Turnbull would have to choose between accepting a yes vote and losing his leadership. I'd put my money on him choosing to keep his leadership.

now you are being silly.

They can't marry! That's how they are discriminated against

if you don't approve of gay marriage then don't marry someone of the same sex, it's quite simple !

i dont approve or disapprove. in the country of my birth homosexual people got no rights and can be put to death. in uk where i lived many years anything goes. im just trying to understand what the issues are in oz. if there was any unequal treatment apart from not being able to register a marriage.

Archived