Parent Visa

purpleal

Hi!

Having read the new thread about the possible abolishment of the parent visas, I was wondering if you could give me a little bit of assistance.

My mother's 143 was couriered off to the PVC yesterday. In your experience, if changes to visa regulations are made, how long does it take to implement them? Do they have a cut off - so in other words, do they process the applications already in the system? Or do they say, that's it, no more visa's and reject the applications in the system?

My Mother has no-one left at home (South Africa), her only living relative is her sister who had a severe stroke and is in a nursing home. My sister and myself are both here in Sydney.

I was just wondering if perhaps it would be better to get her to do an onshore CPV application when she comes here again on holiday so that the processing time is shorter?

Many Thanks,

Purpleal

Generally once a visa application is receipted (received by the Department and money is taken for the visa application fee) the applicant is "safe" from any changes to the law that effects that visa subclass in the future. This is not set in stone, and indeed there has been a case of the Department drawing a line under visa applications that were in the system for over 5 years, and going nowhere fast, which meant that applicants were left back where they started. But I doubt that would happen for Contributory Parent Visa Applicants, as they really are a bit of a cash cow for the Department.

As for your second question, as far as I am aware the only advantage for applying for the same visa, but from onshore, is for the visa applicant to be able to remain in Australia on a bridging visa during the processing period. Why do you think that onshore applications are processed faster?

The Commission reported back in April this year. All of a sudden this becomes a "permanent parent visas to be abolished" headline?

The commission reported on the following, on other words, it was specifically asked to look at this idea:

the Commission has been asked to assess, a single pricewould be charged for all immigrants (outside the humanitarian stream), determined eitherthrough a tender, an auction or by government. It would replace the current plethora of 18 MIGRANT INTAKE INTO AUSTRALIAdifferent visa classes, fees and charges, as well as the current administrative selectionmechanisms, although current character, health and security checks would be retained....

And it reported as follows:

"Given the balance of the costs and benefits, the case for retaining parent visas in theircurrent form is weak. In the short term, a partial remedy would be to lower the taxpayer funded subsidy forcontributory parent visas by considerably raising the visa charge, and to introduce morenarrowly focused non-contributory parent visas. This would involve narrowing eligibilityto non-contributory parent visas to cases where there are strong compassionate grounds.The impact of this tightening could be partly offset by the introduction of more flexibletemporary parent visa arrangements, subject to the parents or sponsoring children meetingthe costs of any income or health support during their period of residence.The resulting (large) fiscal savings could be better directed at more vulnerable members ofthe Australian community and at reducing the more general pressures of an ageingpopulation."

The Commission then recommended that:

"The Australian Government should amend arrangements for permanent parent visaapplicants. In the short term, it should:

• increase substantially the charge for contributory parent visas

• narrow eligibility to non-contributory parent visas to cases where there are strongcompassionate grounds to do so, accompanied by clear published criteria to limitapplications for such visas

• consider lowering the caps for contributory parent visas

• introduce a more flexible temporary parent visa that would provide longer rights ofresidence, but with requirements, as for other temporary visas, that the parents orsponsoring child would meet the costs of any income or health supports during theperiod of residence."

And:

"The Australian Government should request the Australian Government Actuary toupdate its actuarial analysis of the long-term fiscal consequences of immigrantsarriving under the parent visa stream, eventually incorporating all expenditures andrevenues, including at the state and territory government level."

End of Commission report and end of Commission recommendation on this topic. How this becomes a "permanent parent visas abolished" headline is questionable.

(The whole commission report can be accessed here:

http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report/migrant-intake-report-overview.pdf )

Confirming that onshore subclass 864 visa applications are taking about 12 months to process to a decision at the moment.

Subclass 143 visa applications are taking 2+ years.

An email sent to parents@border.gov.au confirms which lodgment dates are being processed for each parent visa subclass presently.

I do not see any changes emanating from the report affecting applications that have been submitted to the Parents Visa Centre already.

Best regards.

Confirming that onshore subclass 864 visa applications are taking about 12 months to process to a decision at the moment.

Subclass 143 visa applications are taking 2+ years.

An email sent to parents@border.gov.au confirms which lodgment dates are being processed for each parent visa subclass presently.

I do not see any changes emanating from the report affecting applications that have been submitted to the Parents Visa Centre already.

Best regards.

Many Thanks!

The application was signed for yesterday at 9.36. Does this mean it is lodged or is it only classed as being lodged once you have an acknowledgement of receipt?

I have just spent the last hour trying to get the total cost of a parent contribution visa (not temporary one). The Australian website gives the application charge but unless I am going mad, it doesn't give the cost of what would be the second instalment that is needed prior to getting the visa. I have googled for ages trying to find this information out and I just cant. Can anyone point me in the right direction please. Many thanks

If the minister tries to remove parent visas and is knocked back by the senate, as he was for various family visas, he can dribble them out a a rate that is, in may cases, effectively a removal.

If you are sure you have made a visa application, read S.39 of the Migration Act.

Not announced - rather, the idea floated. All that was said on the news was that it would be a five year temporary parent visa, and that parents would have to look after their own health care. Presumably it means no access to Medicare and social services in Australia. So a lot of unanswered questions. including whether it would be renewable. I assume that those coming from countries with reciprocal health agreements with Australia, such as the UK, would be better off than those who don't?

Is the new temporary visa that was announced today an 'extra visa' to run alongside the non-contributory visa and contributory visa? The latter hasn't been abolished has it?

It appears to be, yes.

See commentary here:

> https://www.border.gov.au/about/reports-publications/discussion-papers-submissions/temporary-visa-for-parents (when the DIBP site is up - it is down for maintenance presently), and

> http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/new-temporary-visa-for-parents-with-children-in-australia-consultation-announced/

Best regards.

Alan: not sure why you think that. The issues paper says on p.11 that parents on this new visa can continue to lodge a permanent visa application if they wish. To do so, presumably they would have to pass the balance of family test, which applicants for the temporary visa apparently do not have to pass.

Alan: not sure why you think that. The issues paper says on p.11 that parents on this new visa can continue to lodge a permanent visa application if they wish. To do so, presumably they would have to pass the balance of family test, which applicants for the temporary visa apparently do not have to pass.

Hi Roberta. Not sure why I would think what, please?

It appears there will not be a requirement to lodge a permanent parent visa application to lodge an application for this new visa.

[h=3]Will parents have to have submitted a permanent visa application before they apply?[/h]No. On introduction of this new visa, there will be no requirement for the applicant to have lodged a concurrent application for a permanent parent visa.

Priority MIGHT be given to temporary parent visa applicants who have already lodged an application for a permanent visa, but this is to be resolved following the consultative process:

[h=3]Will priority processing be afforded to parents already in the queue for a Parent visa?[/h]The discussion paper requests views on whether any priority should be made available to parents already in the queue.

Best regards.