Moving to Melbourne

HankScorpio1985

Thanks for this. I do quite enjoy afl so that shouldn't be a problem. I just need to figure out who to support.

Would you have any recommendations on the best places to buy a second had car? Reliable and affordable sites or dealers?

This is the best site for cars. Something like this gives you peace of mind of still having 3 years new car warranty but you can get much cheaper cars that still have new car warranty remaining.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Kia-Cerato-2014/OAG-AD-13249733/?Cr=0

Thanks for all of this. Great info! I guess one of the main reasons in thinking about moving to St Kilda is because it's close the sea. I just have it in my head that what's the point in moving to Australia if you're not going to be close to the sea? But also because it seems to be an expat area.

I'd say St Kilda is more of a backpackers' area than an expat area. It's also the red light district of Melbourne - it's not so much Clapham as Soho by the Sea, IMO. It strikes me as similar to Kings Cross in Sydney - they build nice apartment blocks and talk about it being gentrified, but it's still got more than its fair share of druggies, knifings, prostitutes, street fights etc.

Agree with Marisawright, St Kilda is nice and iconic but in reality a bit of a dump compared to other areas of Melbourne. It may/will be nice for a couple of weeks when you arrive but long term other suburbs mentioned are much nicer. Then again it all depends what you are looking for. If you are prepared to deal with the commute to Frankston from St Kilda and want easy access to the city and the beach, it may well work for you. Lots of shops, cafes and bars within walking distance.

As a side note, buying a used car is a little different from the UK. In the UK you have to get a MOT, after 3 years, every year to prove the car is roadworthy. In Australia you do not, only when you go to sell the vehicle do you have to get a RWC(Road worthy certificate) and even then some sellers will still to try to sell the car to you without it. When I was looking for used car and discussing with friends and meeting people selling cars, I was shocked at how the majority of cars are serviced and maintained. I spoke to some friends and there cars appear to be death traps as they never get them serviced and just run them with no or minimal maintenance. So just be careful on the used car market.