Cost of migration

Sharra

Hi there, does anyone have any idea of the cost migration will be, coming to oz on a skilled migrant visa, with a chef as a partner and a 9 and 4 year old child. I don't want to use an agency in order to save money. Just want to have some idea of how much we need to save. I also need to spend money on degree cert and PGCE acreditation. Many thanks in advance.

Hi there, does anyone have any idea of the cost migration will be, coming to oz on a skilled migrant visa, with a chef as a partner and a 9 and 4 year old child. I don't want to use an agency in order to save money. Just want to have some idea of how much we need to save. I also need to spend money on degree cert and PGCE acreditation. Many thanks in advance.

Viasa about 5k, but full exact costs are on border.gov.au

in addition, skills assessment, medicals and police checks. Allow a couple more grand.

If you do not use an agent an make an error, you lose the above.

Shipping, about 4K, assuming you have no pets.

First months rent and a months bond will depend on where you are living- look at real estate.com.au

Temporay accommodation for arrival allow a couple of grand

flights another 2k

a car, a couple of grand will get you a run around.

but the big one is to live while you find jobs. You need enough to live, pay rent, bills, eat and all the costs of living for 6 months as it can take time to find work.

I reckon I spent £10k on the process (visas, shipping and flights)

And then another £10k between landing and getting my first pay check. And it only took me a month to find work - (I actually turned one job down 3 days after landing which I somewhat regret... However that's another story)...

But.. If I hadn't found work within a month, we would have needed to spend a lot more.

Month to month living for the 3 of us... The essentials .. IE Rent, gas, elec, water, food probably comes at around $4000 per month in Melbourne. So if you factor in potentially not working for 6 months I reckon you'd want $25k - $30k just to cover living costs for that period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had threads like this before and a figure of £30k came up quite often.

You can do it cheaper but it means compromises. For instance, doing without a car or buying an old banger when you arrive instead of a newer car (even second-hand cars are very expensive in Australia). Or not shipping your belongings and furnishing your home with second-hand furniture from charity shops and Gumtree. You could squeeze into a small apartment instead of renting a house.

However, all those compromises aren't really saving money, they are just delaying the expenditure - eventually, when you get on your feet, you'll want a decent car and a decent home. For most people, moving to Australia won't mean you're earning more, so you're going to have the same struggle to save up for those things at the other end.

For a family of four I would recommend having a good £25-30k behind you. We spent that as a couple, but we were not especially frugal on out choices, flew business class, city centre serviced apartment for five weeks etc.

These are my guesstimates: £6k visa process, £4k shipping, £4k flights and other travel costs, £3k temporary accommodation and long term house deposit. The rest is for car and other general living costs whilst you seek work.

To be honest when someone says they are saving for emigration it is a bit worrying, if they have got this far without saving then how would it suddenly be possible to save these kind of sums up in hopefully a short time period.

Archived