Tourist 600 visa---- Advice please

bridgie

Hi All,

We have applied for a Tourist 600 visa for a 12 month period. We applied for this early (We are not travelling until Dec) the reason being is that we are shipping goods over and the shippers are shipping in September and will not ship until a visa number is received. We are shipping goods earlier than anticipated as we have sold our house in Spain and must vacate it by October-----all a tad complicado but we'll cope.

Received a reply from Immigration today and I wonder if what I have received is standard and what others have down In this situation.

Immigration have stated that we can apply for two types of 600 visa :-

The first allows us to visit Australia and from the date of entry we will be allowed a 12 month stay however we must only stay 12 months within an 18 month period. I assume the visa period will run from the date of grant, possibly 1 September.

The second says that we don't have to agree to any of the conditions they are asking for No.1 option but the visa will be granted for a 12 month period only. This I assume means that If it is granted 1 September it will be 12 months from this date.

As we are unlikely to get our permanent residency before March 2018 I am not sure which is best for us. Do you think or know whether I/we are able to apply for subsequent visa's to tide us over until we receive PR's. I'm aware we will have to go Off-shore to re-apply and we are happy to do that. I just want to be sure that we are able to do so otherwise It will be House sitting in some other part of the world until we receive that Magic Email.

Appreciate any views or comments as to what you know or have done in the same situation.

Many Thanks

Bridgie

Edited by bridgie

Hi bridgie

we are in the same position as you, travelling out in November on e600 visa waiting for CPV about March 2017.

we had the same email from immi, just replied stating we did not want the extended visa, just 12 months.

we received visa grant the same day, 12 months stay from date of entry. ( not visa grant ) the latest we can enter Australia is 12 months from visa grant.

as I understand it the 600 visa only allows a maximum stay of 12 months in any 18 month period, so after 12 months you will have to leave for 6 months before re-entry.

hope this helps

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

At least I now know this is a standard email and It's good to know that the 600 visa runs from the date of entry not the date of grant. That takes us up to the first week in December 2017. I guess If we can't get get an extension or subsequent visa for 3 or 6 month until CPV it will be a short term let or house sit somewhere off shore. I'm sure by next year Immigration will be racing through applications to accommodate us all-------No, I don't think that either :) but I remain glass half full.

Hi All,

We have applied for a Tourist 600 visa for a 12 month period. We applied for this early (We are not travelling until Dec) the reason being is that we are shipping goods over and the shippers are shipping in September and will not ship until a visa number is received. We are shipping goods earlier than anticipated as we have sold our house in Spain and must vacate it by October-----all a tad complicado but we'll cope.

Received a reply from Immigration today and I wonder if what I have received is standard and what others have down In this situation.

Immigration have stated that we can apply for two types of 600 visa :-

The first allows us to visit Australia and from the date of entry we will be allowed a 12 month stay however we must only stay 12 months within an 18 month period. I assume the visa period will run from the date of grant, possibly 1 September.

The second says that we don't have to agree to any of the conditions they are asking for No.1 option but the visa will be granted for a 12 month period only. This I assume means that If it is granted 1 September it will be 12 months from this date.

As we are unlikely to get our permanent residency before March 2018 I am not sure which is best for us. Do you think or know whether I/we are able to apply for subsequent visa's to tide us over until we receive PR's. I'm aware we will have to go Off-shore to re-apply and we are happy to do that. I just want to be sure that we are able to do so otherwise It will be House sitting in some other part of the world until we receive that Magic Email.

Appreciate any views or comments as to what you know or have done in the same situation.

Many Thanks

Bridgie

I am am a bit confused about what you are trying to do. Do you mean you want to move to Australia in December 2016 and live there on a tourist visa until your expected permanent visa is granted in March 2018? The tourist visa is for tourists, you should not expect to be able to live for so long in Australia on a tourist visa. Also, a tourist visa is unlikely to satisfy the shipping requirements, people do not after all, bring their household goods on holiday with them. I think you should have another look at your plans and timeframes.

I am am a bit confused about what you are trying to do. Do you mean you want to move to Australia in December 2016 and live there on a tourist visa until your expected permanent visa is granted in March 2018? The tourist visa is for tourists, you should not expect to be able to live for so long in Australia on a tourist visa. Also, a tourist visa is unlikely to satisfy the shipping requirements, people do not after all, bring their household goods on holiday with them. I think you should have another look at your plans and timeframes.

Thank goodness someone said this. It's surely a huge risk anyway to move out a year before you 'might' get PR. I suppose they will show a return ticket when asked at immigration?

Do people really do this? Do migration agents really advise this???? Seriously, I would love to know!

Thank goodness someone said this. It's surely a huge risk anyway to move out a year before you 'might' get PR. I suppose they will show a return ticket when asked at immigration?

Do people really do this? Do migration agents really advise this???? Seriously, I would love to know!

Exactly what I was thinking. We're always being told that you're not allowed to enter Australia on the tourist visa with the intention of staying permanently - and if Immigration suspects that's what you're doing, they can cancel your tourist visa and send you back on the next plane. So it does sound like a risky thing to do, especially if you have a PR application in the pipeline. I'd be worried that if discovered, they might reject the PR visa because you tried to use the tourist visa fraudulently.

Edited by Marisawright

Just to clarify the situation about shipping. We have checked with the shippers and even the Unaccompanied goods form from Immigration shows a box to tick if you are on a tourist visa. So yes you can do it. We have a flexible return ticket which can be changed for other flights. You have to leave the country to receive your CPV so when time is up we will go and house sit somewhere around the world and wait.

We've house sat in numerous countries around the world it's a no brainer if you have no ties. For us from the end of this year we have no ties, no houses or any other chattels to worry about. So we intend to go "Ski-ing" and become "Grey nomads"