Morning and afternoon clubs at state schools?

Sharra

Hi there, I wondered if state schools had morning and afternoon clubs available for working parents. It's just that my partner and I both plan to work if we take the leap to move over and therefore wouldn't be able to make most school runs in normal school hours. Also, I'm hoping to find work as either an early years educator or primary teacher. Does anyone know if teachers are able to enrol their children more easily within schools that they work in? I have a 4 and 9 year old.

In my experience they tend to be done by third parties such as PCYC or community centres. None of the ones my way have "school" clubs, but they have arrangements with these others to provide before and after school care. Depending on demand they can be hard to get in to.

Mine go to a family daycare before and after school, and the educator drops them off and picks them up too.

Hi there, I wondered if state schools had morning and afternoon clubs available for working parents. It's just that my partner and I both plan to work if we take the leap to move over and therefore wouldn't be able to make most school runs in normal school hours. Also, I'm hoping to find work as either an early years educator or primary teacher. Does anyone know if teachers are able to enrol their children more easily within schools that they work in? I have a 4 and 9 year old.

Hi

I have found that most schools have before and afterschools clubs. There is recognition that a lot of parents have to work. Even better is that the state pays half of the fees and it isn't means tested (although I think that the fees overall are probably a bit more expensive because the provider knows that parents get state support).

I phoned up from the UK and got the space in the before and after school reserved before we came over because otherwise we would have had to look at another school.

P

Just about every school round here has OSHC. Out of hours school care. Runs from 7:15am to when school starts and 3:10pm til 6:15pm after school. Then all day in the holidays but does close for a Christmas break for 2 weeks. Costs $10 or so before school and $20 after, but if you get the rebate than its half this. Full days in school hols are about $50 but again, rebate means you pay half.

Re your children getting a place because you teach at a school, maybe around here if not zoned, but if the school is zoned and they apply it, then I think you'd need to live in the zone, same as everyone else.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-skills-and-learning/schools/out-of-school-hours-care-oshc

OSHC is brilliant and my son loves his OSHC days. I've found childcare around schools to be far better here and well priced. We make use of OSHC a fair bit putting our son in 1 or 2 days a week in the holidays also and he loves the day trips and activities they plan on site.

I agree with Snifter. Not sure if it is an Adelaide thing but most schools here seem to have OSHC. When you are researching schools have a look at the school website and see if there is anything about the OSHC on there. Here in SA the out of hours care is provided on site at the school and makes use of the school facilities. The one my kids went to (they don't go anymore) provided breakfast in the mornings and afternoon tea after school, which would include a hot/cooked option. You may need to book in advance though as places can be limited and they may be full. I know ours had one evening a week when they were completely full and they had space for 100 kids. Outing days in the holidays always used to get booked up as well.

I live in Perth and nearly all of the state schools have before and after hour clubs attached to them. They are run by third parties and are very well regarded.

Edited by Sammy1