Tourist visa

Quokka2005

So I'm toying with the idea of working the rest of my Visa and then going onto a tourist visa. I have a few friends who have but I'm worries mines will get declined. I've got bad luck haha. I would rather use the visa that's $350 and not leave Australia but I'm not sure if this would increase my chances of being declined? If I am can I appeal? I'll be able to show I have savings and I might even book a outgoing flight too.

Any advice? I just don't want to work the 12 weeks and then be declined. Otherwise I'll just work 8 weeks and holiday the last month

What? Only because i know other backpackers that have been declined for no apparent reason. But i have friends who have completed their farm work but then came back on a tourist visa instead. Theres nothing dodgy about what i want to do, im working legally to save but then want some extra time to see a bit more. The 3 month visa would be more than enough time i think. Im not going to apply for the 12 month tourist one. Its just annoying that they can decline for no apparent reason, i would hate to work all of my whv and then for that to happen. Especially if i paid $350 for the other visa instead of the free one

I think it's the thing of you've had a 12 month WHV and time to see Aus and they question if people have genuine motives to want to then stay on a tourist visa and if they will actually leave.

I think its one of those things no one can know the answer to until you apply and see what they say.

Ive always thought thats kinda stupid. Technically people could come here on a whv and just not leave. I dont get why people would go to the bother of leaving and coming back to do that. But im not clued up on the immigration stuff. I just know im not very lucky and no doubt ill be the one to be declined. Before i got this job i was about to go home and just save up from there instead. I suppose im just going to have to risk working in a tiny place for potentially nothing. Although i suppose i could use the money for NZ instead if thwt happens. I hate uncertainty when it comes to things lik money and visas haha

You seem like your expecting it to be declined. The way this post is worded is strange and you are playing with fire whatever it is you have planned.

It is actually a very reasonable question. It is not at all unheard of for immigration to decline a tourist visa immediately following a working holiday visa, because they consider that 12 months is perfectly long enough to explore the country.

The answer to Quokka, unfortunately, is that there is simply no way of knowing in advance what the outcome would be.

Thanks bungo, i was starting to wonder what id said wrong haha. I guess itll be a good reason to go to bali or thailand. Or if i manage to save more than expected - maybe nz for a few weeks but thats probably pushing it haha. If it does get declined ill just keep the money in my aus account and try again at a later date but i hope it doesnt

If i was you, i'd book a return flight before submitting the visa. Say if you did your farming in Cairns. Book the flight in Sydney... it'll show your intentions if you have to appeal. There's too many people returning to Oz and working cash in hand for their last company and not having a return flight.

If i was you, i'd book a return flight before submitting the visa. Say if you did your farming in Cairns. Book the flight in Sydney... it'll show your intentions if you have to appeal. There's too many people returning to Oz and working cash in hand for their last company and not having a return flight.

The problem is if the visa is then declined she won't be able to stay to get the flight - I suppose if the flight is flexible it could be brought forward but then that's going to cost more.

Can you apply now? Or would that cancel your WHV? If you knew you could have the tourist visa then you work the 12 week, if you get declined work 8.

I dont know the exact date i'd go home so its not ideal. I think my best bet is just to go to bali or somewhere for 2 weejs then apply. I dont think i can apply till after my visa expires so thats november but i could be wrong. I just want the 3 ninths one. I know a girl who got a 3 month one then they gave her a years one! Without asking anything

The problem is if the visa is then declined she won't be able to stay to get the flight - I suppose if the flight is flexible it could be brought forward but then that's going to cost more.

Can you apply now? Or would that cancel your WHV? If you knew you could have the tourist visa then you work the 12 week, if you get declined work 8.

Okay ignore that it seems it would cancel it - I don't think you can realistically work to the end of your visa, as I would suggest allowing at least a month for your tourist visa application. It should be a lot quicker but if they investigate and ask for more information then it will take longer & then you are talking about appealing (probably pointless) so longer still.

Do your 8 weeks, apply and work until you have the outcome. If it's denied finish work & enjoy your time left as a tourist, it's granted you'll have to finish work immediately anyway otherwise you'd be working illegally but you'll have probably have done 9-10 weeks.

I know you have friends who have got one but it seems really hit and miss - I found this online

When I apply online I got email from immigration officer that I have to send them more information. I answered them with my holiday plan in Australia attached with accommodations from first few dys, my visa for NZ, my ticket out from Australia to NZ, my bank account with sufficient funds... They still refuse my visa because for them I don't have genuine intentions in Australia.

They said, I already spend 697 day in Australia under WHV and the main purpose of WHV is holidays, not working. But I didn't work more then 6 months for the same employer and I didn't abuse WHV at all, I stayed under all the condition about this visa and I also travelled a lots while a was there. But we all know how big is Australia. There are places I didn't see, that is why before go to NZ (now that I have money from Christmas and some savings) I wanted to go first for holiday to Australia before undertake my WHV in NZ.

This is not fair because now I have a denied visa in my passport for reason that they can't even prove (that means every time I apply for visas for other country I have to declare I got a denied visa in Australia), and I have flight booked to Brisbane that I can't change as it was under a saver fare.

I would be really careful - it may be better to do the 8 weeks and come home when the money runs out, if you want a 3 month holiday in Australia, do it before you go to NZ once you've saved up some more.

I dont know the exact date i'd go home so its not ideal. I think my best bet is just to go to bali or somewhere for 2 weejs then apply. I dont think i can apply till after my visa expires so thats november but i could be wrong. I just want the 3 ninths one. I know a girl who got a 3 month one then they gave her a years one! Without asking anything

You can apply but it would cancel the WHV if it was granted. if you work the 12 weeks and then go to Bali and it isn't granted then you don't get to see Great ocean Road, kangaroo island and the other places you mentioned.

That's your dilemma I guess! And why i told you to go to Bali a couple of weeks ago when you had enough money to travel in Asia. I guess after another stint in the bush you'll be able to afford that again, but don't you want to be home for Christmas anyway?

No id be happy to skip Christmas if it meant i got the majority ticked off. But right now i feel like just going home. Im going to be working remote again with the high possibility of not even being able to travel after. My wages work out the same as back home. Well i did say about possibility of going to asia but i had a bunch of people saying to me how id completely regret leaving early etc.

No id be happy to skip Christmas if it meant i got the majority ticked off. But right now i feel like just going home. Im going to be working remote again with the high possibility of not even being able to travel after. My wages work out the same as back home. Well i did say about possibility of going to asia but i had a bunch of people saying to me how id completely regret leaving early etc.

So a lot depends on whether you'll actually enjoy the working part (maybe not the shifts but the camaraderie etc.), right now you might as well give it a shot and after the 8 weeks decide whether it's worth chancing it and staying another 4 or travelling for a month with what money you have.

Sounds very exciting.

All you can do is try. Better to try and be knocked back. Then to never have tried at all.

Are you eligible for a second HWV:

https://www.travellers.com.au/WorkInOz/2ndYearVisaExtensions/tabid/142/Default.aspx

I don't know if the rules have changed. But back in the day, as long as you showed sufficient funds and an outward flight booking, it was fairly easy to get a 3 - 6 month tourist visa after a WHV one.

The main point to keep in mind is having proof of sufficient funds. Either here or overseas in an emergency fund that can be wired to you.

Also proof of an onward ticket would also work extremely well in your favour.

Immigration just want to make sure you won't get stuck here with no means of support.

Obviously something like $350.00 in the bank is not going to last long. And you are likely to be rejected.

But showing $3,500 would be most favorable I should think.

Sounds very exciting.

All you can do is try. Better to try and be knocked back. Then to never have tried at all.

Are you eligible for a second HWV:

https://www.travellers.com.au/WorkInOz/2ndYearVisaExtensions/tabid/142/Default.aspx

I don't know if the rules have changed. But back in the day, as long as you showed sufficient funds and an outward flight booking, it was fairly easy to get a 3 - 6 month tourist visa after a WHV one.

The main point to keep in mind is having proof of sufficient funds. Either here or overseas in an emergency fund that can be wired to you.

Also proof of an onward ticket would also work extremely well in your favour.

Immigration just want to make sure you won't get stuck here with no means of support.

Obviously something like $350.00 in the bank is not going to last long. And you are likely to be rejected.

But showing $3,500 would be most favorable I should think.

I tried to do my 2nd year work and unfortunately it didnt work out. I'll definitely have the funds if the job goes well and if the job doesnt work out then i'll just leave the country anyway unless i was to find another job super fast. I guess i'll just have to see how the job goes and hope that the visa is approved. Otherwise i'll maybe just spend my money in NZ.

They said, I already spend 697 day in Australia under WHV

If this is the case, maybe the applicant can "play dumb"

Say the didn't realise the country was so big when they arrived, and they really want to see XXXXXX area before they leave, as so many tourists had recommended it.

I also wonder if where you apply makes a difference. I have been told by various people that immigration in Sydney are bureaucratic, stressed, busy, harsh and military. Whilst immigration officers and offices in Brisbane, Darwin and Cairns are more laid back and friendlier.

When you lodge a new visa application and it is granted, the visa you are on is automatically cancelled. So best not to lodge the tourist visa until needed.

Read lots of stuff on the DIBP website about your query Stacey, and there is so much conflicting information. When your visa was granted initially, were there any visa restrictions placed ... these are always noted on the visa with a number, like 8503.... It seems that some WHV do have restrictions and some don't. No idea how that all works though. I totally understand your questions and concerns about this and what to do next, but I think it all seems to come down to working to get the money and after 8 or 9 weeks look at getting the tourist visa onshore and see where it goes! So much has changed since I worked in this arena just a few years ago and my knowledge of immigration law is not current.