Is an MA needed? or is my case simple enough?

SUPERSTARDJ01

So if my wife is to get a Midwifery job with sponsorship, would we need an MA? also I think our case is pretty simple 2 adults 3 children no criminal records all healthy except I have a pacemaker with about 8yrs battery life left and 100% stable, pacemaker inserted due to bradycardia.

So if my wife is to get a Midwifery job with sponsorship, would we need an MA? also I think our case is pretty simple 2 adults 3 children no criminal records all healthy except I have a pacemaker with about 8yrs battery life left and 100% stable, pacemaker inserted due to bradycardia.

Employers often want to use a migration agent for this process, so you may not have a choice as such.

Is there a specific reason you have opted for an employer sponsored visa? Not usually very desirable for a family.

Employers often want to use a migration agent for this process, so you may not have a choice as such.

Is there a specific reason you have opted for an employer sponsored visa? Not usually very desirable for a family.

I thought it would be easier, cheaper and quicker, why is it not desirable for families?

I thought it would be easier, cheaper and quicker, why is it not desirable for families?

I wouldn't necessarily assume it would be those things.

Easier - maybe or maybe not, health authorities are not sponsoring as much as they once were. Maybe she would find a sponsor easily but who knows. There is probbaly an argument that not having to find a sponsor but just applying as a skilled migrant would be easier.

Cheaper - the 457 visa cost is cheaper, but if you ever want to become permanent then you pay the permanent visa fees later so overall would have paid more. In the meantime on a temporary visa there is no child tax benefit and you may even need to pay for schooling depending where you go to live. Employment options for the spouse may be narrowed by this visa too.

Quicker - not really, the skilled migrant visa is pretty quick these days. She would still have to go through registration for either visa and that probably takes the most time.

Not desirable for a family because it is temporary. If the job is lost or if say there is a huge personality clash and she cannot tolerate working there any more, then you will have 90 days to find a new sponsor or leave Australia.

If you are planning a permanent move, then do it with a permanent visa.

Agree with Bungo on this. PR is better over temp in many ways.

School fees here in SA on a temp visa are around $5,000 per child, so 2 kids in the state school system could set you back around $10,000. Plus childcare fees if you need before and after school care. Most states charge school fees now iirc. And as has been said, no tax benefits either.

If you want to make a permanent move, permanent residence would be much more desirable. With sponsorship you are tied to the employer also and this can often go pear shaped or not be as hoped. However, PR may mean finding employment once the visa is granted or once moved to Aus. I'd prefer not to be tied to the temp conditions but to have options and choice from the off.

I spoke to an MA at emigrate-to-Australia he said apart from he having to take English tests now (would love to hear from anyone who has done these) they would apply for state sponsorship from Queensland and as long as stays regional and employed for at least 1 yr the 489 visa transfers to PR automatically in 2yrs, and whole process will take 7-9mths.

I spoke to an MA at emigrate-to-Australia he said apart from he having to take English tests now (would love to hear from anyone who has done these) they would apply for state sponsorship from Queensland and as long as stays regional and employed for at least 1 yr the 489 visa transfers to PR automatically in 2yrs, and whole process will take 7-9mths.

So so that is state sponsored, earlier you mentioned employer sponsored? Which are you thinking of?

The 489 visa also has its pitfalls. Firstly no it does not convert automatically to the permanent visa, there is an application process to go through, although if you have abided to the conditions of the visa and meet the criteria then it will be a rubber stamp. In the meantime though, you are restricted on where you can live and work and job opportunities can be limited in regional areas. So that is something for you to consider as the secondary applicant, what is your line of work? You should also note that the 489 is a provisional visa so the points about child tax benefit and school fees would apply here too.

Again, if you want to make a permanent move, apply for a permanent visa, not a temporary or a provisional one.

Out ur of interest, do you know why this agent mentioned the 489 rather than the far superior 189 visa? Is your wife perhaps in her 40s and struggling for points?

shes 34 midwife 2yrs post grad experience, bachelors degree, not sure if she's low on points, i'm in IT (desktop support technician) but happy to do any kind work while a better job comes along, we're wanting to go to Cairns, I read they don't charge 489 visa holders school fees over and above the norm???

in fact I don't think anyone on a 489 visa pays school fees.

http://www.gmskilled.com/paying-school-fees-in-australia-holders-of-subclass-489-visas/

[h=1]Paying school fees in Australia – Holders of subclass 489 visas[/h]24/08/2015UncategorizedAlan Collett

The question of paying school fees if children are attending a Government school in Australia is one that seems to be misunderstood by many intending migrants – and by some advisors.

In this blog we provide feedback from the various State and Territory Education Departments.

Having heard and read commentary on the question of subclass 489 visa holding parents paying school fees if their dependent children attend a Government school in Australia we thought we should make enquiry, in an effort to get to the bottom of the urban myth.

We think the confusion has arisen because certain types of temporary residency visas – most notably employer sponsored subclass 457 visas – do require the payment of school fees if children of the main visa applicant attend such a school.

The subclass 489 (Skilled Regional Sponsored) visa is a temporary residency visa – but it is a provisional visa, in that it is considered to be a precursor to a permanent residency visa, most commonly under subclass 887.

In this regard the 489 visa is closer to the provisional business skills visas – and as such school fees are usually not payable.

Here are the replies we received from the various State and Territory Governments.

Western Australia

As per the Department of Education Enrolment policy, the parents of dependent children holding subclass 489 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa have local enrolment entitlement and pay no tuition fees.

These students have the same enrolment entitlements as local students and are eligible for Student-centred Funding.

Victoria

Visa 489 dependents are classified as fee exempt and pay the fees set by the individual government school (not fees to the DET International Education Division).

Enrolment is made directly to the school.

Queensland

As you and your family are travelling to Australia on 489 visas, your dependent is eligible to enrol at a Queensland Government school as per the domestic enrolment process. Therefore, I recommend you contact a school that based on your place of residence in Queensland, as a number of Queensland Government schools have strict catchment area policies. This means that families must live within a certain radius of the school to be eligible for enrolment.

You are not required to pay the normal international student tuition fees that are processed through the central office of Education Queensland International.

The school you decide to enrol at will discuss any fees associated with the enrolment with you directly.

New South Wales

A holder of a 489 visa is not required to pay the administration or education fees.

They are required to have an Authority to enrol issued to the school before they are able to start school.

Northern Territory

Dependants of 489 visa holders do not incur International tuition fees at Northern Territory Government schools.

Go Matilda Visas has not yet received replies from the Governments of South Australia and Tasmania, but anticipate the situation there mirrors that described above.

I did an assessment but this is relying on her acing her English test which I hear is difficult.

[TABLE=class: contactStyle]

[TR=class: top]

[TD=colspan: 100%][h=5]Your Assessment Summary[/h][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: head]

[TD=class: border]Criteria[/TD]

[TD=class: border]189 Independent[/TD]

[TD=class: border]190 State[/TD]

[TD=class: border]489 State[/TD]

[TD=class: border]489 Family[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: alt]

[TD=class: border]Age Points[/TD]

[TD=class: border]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]General Education[/TD]

[TD=class: border]15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Australian Education[/TD]

[TD=class: border]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]English Language[/TD]

[TD=class: border]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Designated Language[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Occupation Experience[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Au Occupation Experience[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Partner[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Sponsorship by State Government[/TD]

[TD=class: border]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Sponsorship by Regional State Government[/TD]

[TD=class: border]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: border]Sponsorship by Family[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: results]

[TD=class: border, align: right]Total Score[/TD]

[TD=class: border]60[/TD]

[TD=class: border]65[/TD]

[TD=class: border]70[/TD]

[TD=class: border]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: CheckPassFail]

[TD=class: border, align: right]Results[/TD]

[TD=class: border]checkmark.png Passed[/TD]

[TD=class: border]remove-32.png Not Eligible[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: border, align: right][/TD]

[TD=class: border]Applicant is eligible for 189 visa.[/TD]

[TD=class: border]Applicant is eligible for the 190 state sponsored visa.[/TD]

[TD=class: border]Applicant is eligible for the 489 state sponsored visa.[/TD]

[TD=class: border]Applicant is not eligible for 489 family sponsored visa because they do not have a relative in a regional area of Australia AND/OR applicant is older than 50.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

shes 34 midwife 2yrs post grad experience, bachelors degree, not sure if she's low on points, i'm in IT (desktop support technician) but happy to do any kind work while a better job comes along, we're wanting to go to Cairns, I read they don't charge 489 visa holders school fees over and above the norm???

There is no good reason for anyone to choose a 489 visa if the 189 is available, in fact I would go so far as to say it is insane. Very puzzled as to why this agent was talking to you about a 489. A 34 year old degree qualified nurse should be able to get a 189 visa.

Does she not have work experience to add into that points test?

Also no the English test is not hard, it is a literacy test. She will need to do the academic version for her skills assessment but if she doesn't get the points in that she can take the general test for the visa applciation which is easier. If she is literate and uses her language skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening on a regular basis, there is nothing to be afraid of. It is worth familiarising with the test.

There is no good reason for anyone to choose a 489 visa if the 189 is available, in fact I would go so far as to say it is insane. Very puzzled as to why this agent was talking to you about a 489. A 34 year old degree qualified nurse should be able to get a 189 visa.

Can you recommend an agent?

457's have lots of issues. Most importantly, it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to permanent and if you go down that path, then you would need to assume you are only going to Australia for a short period - up to 4 years and then leaving.

It also has the issue that if she were to lose her job for any reason, she would only have 90 days to find another willing to sponsor or leave the country. Bear in mind, a number of health authorities have made some large redundancies in the last couple of years and unions have argued that when redundancies occur, it should be 457 holders to go first.

The he partners of 457 can find it difficult to find work as you are only in the country temporarily and your fate is not in your hands - wife loses her job, you have to leave.

A number of of states charge 457 holders for education for any children.

There are extra hoops to jump through for buying a house.

Getting credit can be restricted.

The 489 is a better visa, but not anywhere near as good as a 189 or 190. The 489 will limit you to where you can live and work. Regional areas can be significantly harder to find work.

Most people pled find they need to take an English test to boost points and this would be a far better option than a 489.

I spoke to http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/ they said the 189 visa is possible but she would have to get top marks in her English tests problem is she's dyslexic.

I understand that there are special provisions made for those that are dyslexic if you notify the board in advance. It is worth a shot and she is going to have to get 7s on academic IELTS for skills assessment so if she can do that she should be able to get 8s on the general. What about work experience? Is she newly qualified?

by the time we apply she'll have 2yrs (which is this september) post grad, but by the time she's registered with the Australian nursing and midwifery council? can't remember the name, done the English tests and sent off for the visa she may have 3yrs.

Well you could try for the 20 points on IELTS and if no luck, hold off for the work experience at the three year point. I honestly think that this would be preferable to getting the 489 visa in view of the restrictions upon it.

Well you could try for the 20 points on IELTS and if no luck, hold off for the work experience at the three year point. I honestly think that this would be preferable to getting the 489 visa in view of the restrictions upon it.

I think so too, I was also informed she can opt to take the OET instead of the IELTS, which might be better

Also does this affect 189 visas?

The 189 visa is unsponsored so nothing to do with Queensland.

Any state might stop processing sponsorship applications if they feel they have enough or too many, yes it happens from time to time. It is possible the federal government will pause processing some of the actual visa applications from time to time too. But it starts again, it is just one of those things.

Also does this affect 189 visas?

State nomination/sponsorship is not applicable to 189 Skilled Independent visas and Midwife 254111 is an eligible occupation for 189 potential applicants.

As to when Queensland may resume processing of State based EOI's it is impossible to tell. Note Queensland is currently experiencing an economic downturn.

See https://www.stgeorge.com.au/content/dam/stg/downloads/report-centre/eco_reports/QLD%20Economic%20Outlook%20-%2023%20March%202016.pdf

The Queensland downturn has been gestating for some time. Only time will tell as to how the demand for midwifery services in Cairns will be affected.

Archived