could anyone please explain RWC road worthy certificate to me please

jonjo2904

Hi all,

My names jonjo im from the uk and i will be living in melbourne for the next 6 months and i am looking into buying a car i understand rego and the fact of registering a vehicle in my name. But i am very very confused with RWC because to my understanding there is a 30 day, 6 month and 12 month rwc and people selling cars dont really tell you which it comes with they just say for example 9 months rego and a valid roadworthy one guy told me it only lasts 30 days but wanted an extra $500 does that mean it will cost me $500 every 30 days for roadworthy? Ive tried to understand it but all im understanding at the moment is never buy a car without rwc as it can cost thousands of dollars. I just think 500 dollars every 30 days is extortionate to drive a vehicle! I assumed rwc was the uk equivalent of M.O.T but you pay that once every 12 months.

Thanks.

When you sell a car privately you generally have to get a roadworthy certificate before the registration change to the new owner can occur.

So if you are buying a car you shouldn't have to worry as the seller will generally provide this, and you should insist the seller does this otherwise you will get stuck with the cost of repairs to make it roadworthy.

Registration is different. that is generally paid annually to the Roads Authority in your state.

PS. You only need to get a roadworthy when the car changes hands so after that don't worry about it again until you sell the car.

Registration is annual and you will get a bill for it every year.

Edited by parleycross

Hi Jonjo I think you might be confusing RWC and warranty. You need a RWC to sell a car and I think it lasts 30 days meaning the garage who issued it guarantees the state of the vehicle for 30 days from issue of certificate. It is the only time you need a RWC. If you do not get a roadworthy you have to get one done yourself - I wouldn't buy without one could cost too much to get issues fixed.

Thank you for replying so quick! so if I buy a vehicle with RWC I don't have to worry about renewing it until I come to sell the vehicle then? Wow I really misunderstood that eh! thanks very much guys you've really cleared that up for me I was under the assumption I had to pay annually for rwc:ssign7: once again thanks a lot.

Many private sellers will try to sell an older vehicle without a RWC but with Rego. Strictly speaking, not a legal situation, but if you buy one of these and manage to get it through the RWC yourself at no extra cost, and then change over the rego into your name, there isn't really an issue and Vicroads couldn't care less.

You see the excuses in the ads sometimes for not selling with RWC; eg, work nigh shift, can't get time off work to get it done, live too far away from the nearest tester, etc.

Buyer beware. Whatever the excuses, there could be more serious underlying issues that the seller might be hiding.

Reputable dealers will sell with RWC, but sometimes they don't include that cost in the advertised price, so again, buyer beware.

Many sellers will state in their ad things like "should sail through RWC" or " only needs a tyre for RWC"; seemingly simple things like that. It's not always the case though and it could prove beneficial to get RACV (or similar auto mechanic) to do a roadworthy check. Common RWC failures are for often overlooked items, small stone chip in the windscreen, discoloured headlights, perishing hoses etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Buy a car with RWC and enough rego, well atleast 6 months. There are a lot of private sellers and dealers who sell without RWC, but will cost you usually more than what you anticipate. Try and get a drive through price, the benefit of buying from a delaer is that you would be able to get some warranty if the car has done less than 160k kms. Toyota's, mazda, Hyundai's are pretty good and will give you god fuel economy too. stay away from Holdens, ford etc..