Pension Dilemma

Petals

But if you are entitled to it, why shouldn't you apply?

This forum is full of people who expect to take the taxpayers money when they have the budget to pay fully for themselves,

Think of any of the following:

Bulk billing doctor.

Medicare gap scheme.

First home buyers allowance.

Low income rebate on tax in the first year of immigrating. (Claimed in both the uk and oz)

Rebate on childcare (CCR and CCB)

Rebate on private health insurance.

But the pension is means tested - a stupid idea in my view as it leads to all the issues we are discussing. I speak to many retirees in my job and the desire to qualify for the pension by manipulating their assets/income is almost an obsession. All accountants would offer this advice, such as putting in a swimming pool with a windfall so as not to jeopardise the pension. Unless we want to see the amount of the pension reduced, something will have to be done to mitigate the cost.

Many of us sold up and moved house halfway across the world as part of life's journey - I fail to see why retirees should be insulated from this reality if it is necessary.

But the pension is means tested - a stupid idea in my view as it leads to all the issues we are discussing. I speak to many retirees in my job and the desire to qualify for the pension by manipulating their assets/income is almost an obsession. All accountants would offer this advice, such as putting in a swimming pool with a windfall so as not to jeopardise the pension. Unless we want to see the amount of the pension reduced, something will have to be done to mitigate the cost.

Many of us sold up and moved house halfway across the world as part of life's journey - I fail to see why retirees should be insulated from this reality if it is necessary.

Entitlement is a long standing belief from what was/has been said by governments social policies/ideals of yesteryear, I believe this sense of entitlement will, over time, not exist or at least greatly lessen, this will happen once the super has run at least a full generation. However tweaking with the super like they are now may have a negative influence and extend the sense of reliance on Government coffers.

I do agree though that trying to chase a government pension by hiding/moving assets is not really a prudent strategy, as those assets could be used to better provide for oneself, IE produce say $2 to the governments $1.

But the pension is means tested - a stupid idea in my view as it leads to all the issues we are discussing. I speak to many retirees in my job and the desire to qualify for the pension by manipulating their assets/income is almost an obsession. All accountants would offer this advice, such as putting in a swimming pool with a windfall so as not to jeopardise the pension.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Archived