LEGO

Ferrets

Hi there,

I have been getting quotes for international shipping at the moment to go from the UK to Brisbane. One of the guidelines has been to not send items new sealed in box, or indeed in original packing.

I have a growing LEGO collection, mostly aimed at opening to play with my children as they get to the right age. However a lot of this is BNIB at the moment. Some of the stuff is still in original box from the 80s.

Is this a potential issue? Don't want to find a nasty tax bill on arrival :wink:

Thanks,

Ferrets

Original box from 80's should be ok as its obviously a collectable, i would mark it as such.

BNIB for further use is an issue as it will have to go towards your $900 (is it still $900) tax free amount.

If you go over the tax free amount though, you pay tax on everything that is new and hasnt been used by you for the last twelve months....

Can you empty the boxes, collapse them, pack them separate and reassemble at this end?

Thanks, happy to open boxes, etc.

If I open them, open the inner bags and the ziplock everything does that allow me to keep them in the boxes, or does it need to go without boxes?

If it goes without boxes there will be some very happy kids having "leaving presents" to get the fun of opening them :)

Thanks, happy to open boxes, etc.

If I open them, open the inner bags and the ziplock everything does that allow me to keep them in the boxes, or does it need to go without boxes?

If it goes without boxes there will be some very happy kids having "leaving presents" to get the fun of opening them :)

Why not ziplock everything, as you have said, collapse the new boxes and put them in the bottom of the moving box labelled 'books'

Reassemble when you get here.

Edited by dmjg
changed a word

Why not ziplock everything, as you have said, collapse the new boxes and put them in the bottom of the moving box labelled 'books'

Reassemble when you get here.

I am now regretting packing everything in clear RUB (Really Useful Boxes)

I definatley have above AUD $900 in unopened boxes so looks like my boy and I are going to have some fun over the next couple of weeks :smile:

They are looking for items <12 months old. If you can prove they are over 12 months old ie discontinued etc then you should be fine. This will work if you can prove most are over 12 months and you have less than $900 of less than 12 months old.

We bought a load of new stuff in including consumer electronics without an issue. They generally head for bio threats.

S

My partner is a. Big, big LEG collector. We shipped boxes and boxes of the stuff all BNIB. Some of his sets are worth over £300 each and I'm not kidding we have loads. We just packed it all up, still unopened and shipped it along with everything else. We just marked the boxes as toys.

Don't know if we were just lucky but nobody took any notice. It all came through OK with no issues. Ours came into Sydney.

I should add, if I had suggested he open all his boxes he would have thought I was mad. To be honest though, it never even crossed our minds to be worried about it.

Edited by Metoo

Anything more than 12 months old I wouldn't worry about. The rule is there to stop people stocking up on new stuff in their home country thus depriving Australia of the migrant $ and more so stopping people bringing goods in to sell - no one is going to be remotely interested in a Lego collection.

I am now regretting packing everything in clear RUB (Really Useful Boxes)

I definatley have above AUD $900 in unopened boxes so looks like my boy and I are going to have some fun over the next couple of weeks :smile:

I'd not worry about it overly. If you label the boxes as toys I doubt it'll cause much of an issue. You don't need to open boxes of Lego from the 80's for shipping. Its far older than a year even if it is unused.

You could open the bags from each of the new boxes and then pop them inside a ziplock bag and back in the box. Its open then.

FWIW we shipped a fair bit of Lego and other kids toys. Most of the Lego was boxed although opened the bags and used inside but customs were not to know this. Out of all our stuff they only things they looked at were the boxes labelled shoes and Christmas decorations. Didn't touch the rest.

I'd not worry about it overly. If you label the boxes as toys I doubt it'll cause much of an issue. You don't need to open boxes of Lego from the 80's for shipping. Its far older than a year even if it is unused.

You could open the bags from each of the new boxes and then pop them inside a ziplock bag and back in the box. Its open then.

FWIW we shipped a fair bit of Lego and other kids toys. Most of the Lego was boxed although opened the bags and used inside but customs were not to know this. Out of all our stuff they only things they looked at were the boxes labelled shoes and Christmas decorations. Didn't touch the rest.

Thanks for the advice, will get a craft knife and some ziplocks. That way they can still be a present to our kids when given :smile: