Need advices no RRV

Irenetee

Got my Australia PR in 2006, stayed in Australia 5 years from 2007 to 2011, got my RRV end of 2011 then move whole family to oversea due to job assignment. Family of 4, adults and the elder kid are PR, younger boy is Australian, own a property,

RRV expiring soon, total time spent in Australia for the past 5 years was about 100 days, last entry 1/8/16, we have no plan to go back to reside in Australia until my elder son graduated from high school which is 6 years later.

My questions:

1) Should we apply for RRV this year and yearly before it's expired if we have no plan to move back to Australia yet?

2) Are we losing our PR if RRV expired ?

3) what are the chances of getting our RRV approved in 2021 which has expired in 2016?

Anyone has successfully renewed their RRV yearly for more than 3 times ?

From what I've read on this forum you might only get a RRV if you can show ties to Australia - job, home, family as you have been away for so long.

Also, it is unlikely you will be granted another 5 years - more likely to be 1 year. If you haven't moved back after that 1 year would they then grant you another year ? I would doubt it.....

Someone else may be able to confirm ? It might be worth consulting a MA as you could potentially lose your PR.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Got my Australia PR in 2006, stayed in Australia 5 years from 2007 to 2011, got my RRV end of 2011 then move whole family to oversea due to job assignment. Family of 4, adults and the elder kid are PR, younger boy is Australian, own a property,

RRV expiring soon, total time spent in Australia for the past 5 years was about 100 days, last entry 1/8/16, we have no plan to go back to reside in Australia until my elder son graduated from high school which is 6 years later.

My questions:

1) Should we apply for RRV this year and yearly before it's expired if we have no plan to move back to Australia yet?

2) Are we losing our PR if RRV expired ?

3) what are the chances of getting our RRV approved in 2021 which has expired in 2016?

Anyone has successfully renewed their RRV yearly for more than 3 times ?

There is simply no way of knowing in advance.

You are effectively looking to be moving back eleven years after you last lived there which is a big ask, a citizen son and a house may help though. I don't think you are going to get one year RRVs for five years on the trot without using any of them, but no way of knowing as it has not even been five years since the most recent RRV rules were brought in, so no precedent.

After ten years out of the country you will need to show compelling reasons for your absence. Child finishing school is not a compelling reason as Australia has schools.

The only way to get certainty is to move back much sooner, anything else is a risk you willl need to weigh up.

This is a good lesson to others contemplating whether to get citizenship. In hindsight, if you'd got your citizenship you wouldn't be in this pickle.

You say you're not going to return until your son finishes school "6 years later". Do you mean you're not going to return for ANOTHER 6 years, or do you mean 6 years in total (i.e. he's got only one more year to go?).

As others have said, you have to show a COMPELLING reason why you haven't returned. Having a child who's in his final exam year might be compelling, but then they might sau, you could've moved back a couple of years earlier to avoid that, so why didn't you? So have a think about what you would argue.

The fact that you've retained your Australian home would be a point in your favour.

Archived