Why does everyone hate

So for a quick get-away you have wheels on your zimmer frame?:wink:

Long way off a zimmer frame, though we do see many around my age (66) having to use them, or walking sticks. Some of them need quick getaway wheels on them though, especially when between me and the food or drink. :wink:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To carry on the cruise theme me and the missus went on our first cruise last weekend. Just a 3 night food and wine cruise out of Freo. Ship was the Pacific Eden. Really enjoyed it, plenty to do, good food and drink, nice bars, great gym and sauna/steamroom place. Had a 4-5m swell the whole way and the wife felt a bit dodgy. Nothing that a couple of cocktails didn't fix though. Good mix of agegroups on board too, we were worried we might have to dodge zimmers. Might go on a longer one next time.

As K&L state, great value with what you get for your money. We did 7 long ones last year. If you go again, get the Mrs to drink ginger ale. Helps to settle a sea tummy. :jiggy:

Despite some of our friends really enjoying them, my hubby is still of the ilk that we are "too young" to be going cruising

Pity, as a good cruise agent will identify ships and itinerates that would suit you. I can think of some that if you were over 25 you would be far too old! (Carnival around Mexico) Like wise, I can name ships that would be entirely young families with children - Disney Cruises or one that is mainly people in the 30-40 bracket with no children and into diving - Paul Gauguin Cruises or the big Royal C ships that have a broad mix. There really is one for everyone

Personally, as someone in their later 40's and who likes to be spoilt on holidays, Crystal are excellent - big mix of passengers and a smaller ship but big enough to have everything I would want. Though a VERY interesting one is Sea Dream. Very small ships, but have a aft (back of the ship) that drops down to become a water sports platform.

Pity, as a good cruise agent will identify ships and itinerates that would suit you. I can think of some that if you were over 25 you would be far too old! (Carnival around Mexico) Like wise, I can name ships that would be entirely young families with children - Disney Cruises or one that is mainly people in the 30-40 bracket with no children and into diving - Paul Gauguin Cruises or the big Royal C ships that have a broad mix. There really is one for everyone

Personally, as someone in their later 40's and who likes to be spoilt on holidays, Crystal are excellent - big mix of passengers and a smaller ship but big enough to have everything I would want. Though a VERY interesting one is Sea Dream. Very small ships, but have a aft (back of the ship) that drops down to become a water sports platform.

To be honest, I don't like the idea of feeling trapped in one place .. a night out on a boat is an ultimate nightmare, I like to be able to do as I please and go where I want. I love our travels to the US and staying in a place for a few nights then moving on to something different

Despite some of our friends really enjoying them, my hubby is still of the ilk that we are "too young" to be going cruising

I think he'd find he'd be rather old on the one we're going on :)

Very possibly which wouldn't endear him to them either. I didn't realise we were that much older than you were - I'll tell him he's joined the male equivalent of the blue rinse brigade

Guest Libra

Does club 18-30 still exist then? How very ageist :wink::laugh:

To be honest, I don't like the idea of feeling trapped in one place .. a night out on a boat is an ultimate nightmare, I like to be able to do as I please and go where I want. I love our travels to the US and staying in a place for a few nights then moving on to something different

I would like to go on an 'ordinary' cruise for that very reason - one of my best ever holidays was when we hired a camper van in South Africa and toured, what was great was being in a different place every couple of days without having to check in/unpack, packup/check out so I envisage a cruise as similar.

My nightmare holiday is an all-inclusive resort in the kind of place where you don't really want to leave the resort, I certainly wouldn't want to do a cruise where a lot of time was spent at sea.

I love boats though, even paddle boats on the park lake! I think it's because my parents emigrated when I was young and I grew up to stories and photos of the weeks on-board getting there (& back!) - I have my 'crossing the equator' certificate still:)

A bit off track from the OP, but we have been to Aruba on Royal Caribbean. They pretty much cover the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa. We have stuck with them, and are now at the level we get a 3 1/2 hour free drinks session every day, plus some free internet and a few other goodies.

How long until retirement? I was lucky enough to retire early, at 61, so we can go whenever we please if the destination and price align with what we are willing to pay.

We are not dedicated followers of one particular cruise line (though I know one company owns several lines), we more go for where we want to go and the dates that suit best, also with trying others one then has the chance to compare. We have done Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Paul Gaugin, must admit that Royal has the edge at present though non have any bad points. Have to say the quality of cruise's has dropped since our first one on Princess, we can blame the increased competition for that though.

I am 61 now and looking at retiring maybe mid next year or if anything happens to p!$$ me of at work then sooner. I have a friend in the UK that gets a cheap flight over to Florida then once there just books a last second cruise deal real cheap, the airfare costs him more in most instances.

For all those that are apprehensive about anything on cruising, then I say do not be! of the many people I have encouraged to try a cruise not one, no matter how apprehensive/hesitant they were and saying all the same things as in some of these posts and more, have regretted doing so, with several now having done more cruises than myself.

My advice would be not to try one of the cheap cruises (party type ones) but try to find a quality cruise cheap.

Archived