Chn born in Australia - how do they gain dual Britsh Citizenship?

Julian927

Can anyone tell me what my daughter and son in law need to do to ensure that their children can have British citizenship and when a little older British passports. Both parents were brought up in Britain and emigrated to Australia where the children were born.

i have looked at various websites and become totally confused. Help gratefully accepted.

Can anyone tell me what my daughter and son in law need to do to ensure that their children can have British citizenship and when a little older British passports. Both parents were brought up in Britain and emigrated to Australia where the children were born.

i have looked at various websites and become totally confused. Help gratefully accepted.

They don't need to do anything special, the child just has British citizenship. When they want a British passport, they just fill in the application form.

Yes, it's automatic. That's assuming that one of the parents was actually born in the UK, of course - just being brought up there is not enough.

If either parent was born in the UK, then any children they have overseas are born with British citizenship (British by descent), it doesn't need to be applied for or anything. Also, no registration is required for British children born in Australia. Note that those 'British by Descent' children cannot pass British Citizenship on to their children automatically, though.

As Bungo says, British passports just need to be applied for.

Ive just done my little girls, she was born here.

Fill in the online form.

Print it out.

Get photo endorsed. This was the hardest part for us as a professional with a current british passport who has know the kid for two years is rather hard to find. The professional and knowledge was ok, but there arnt that many we know who havent let their british passport lapse once they get aussie citizenship.

Pay online.

Send witness page back only, with photos and old passport.

Job done.

I filled it out two weeks ago and logged on to check out its position in the queue over the weekend.

The new one is on its way back......

Get photo endorsed. This was the hardest part for us as a professional with a current british passport who has know the kid for two years is rather hard to find. The professional and knowledge was ok, but there arnt that many we know who havent let their british passport lapse once they get aussie citizenship.

It's supposedly quicker to use someone who has a British passport but if you can't find someone who has one then you can use someone with a Commonwealth Passport - which includes anyone with an Australian passport.

Just in case the last couple of posts have confused the OP.

They are presumably talking about getting passports for kids.

The OP asked about obtaining citizenship for the kids and the correct answer was provided.

They are citizens automatically and nothing needs to be done.

Passports are not necessary unless they particularly want them.

It's supposedly quicker to use someone who has a British passport but if you can't find someone who has one then you can use someone with a Commonwealth Passport - which includes anyone with an Australian passport.

It's surprising how many Aussies, and Kiwis, have British passports too, so don't forget to ask just in case!

Additionally, if they are British by Descent but they have lived in the UK for at least 3 years they can pass on citizenship.

Just in case the last couple of posts have confused the OP.

They are presumably talking about getting passports for kids.

The OP asked about obtaining citizenship for the kids and the correct answer was provided.

They are citizens automatically and nothing needs to be done.

Passports are not necessary unless they particularly want them.

re read the ops first sentence.

As citizenship is automatic, the next (asked) step is how to obtain the passports. Which has been provided too.

Apology accepted.

Archived