Moving in September...making sure shipped stuff arrived before Christmas

richev

We're planning to move to Australia this September and will be shipping a container of furniture and belongings.

Since this can take three months, plus customs time, I'm concerned that we might not get our stuff before Christmas (with additional delays due to seasonal holidays).

What do people think about shipping/customs times at this time of year?

(Apologies for mentioning Christmas when it's only April by the way! ;-) )

Can you ship your things several weeks before you leave the UK? We are shipping ours about 7 weeks before we go.

We'll be shipping household things like beds and other furniture, so living at home will be tricky once we've shipped stuff. :)

We'll be shipping household things like beds and other furniture, so living at home will be tricky once we've shipped stuff. :)

Could you ship your stuff early to make sure it gets there and borrow things like camp chairs, blow up beds etc to get you through until you fly out? That might be preferable to risking your things not being there in time for Christmas.

We shipped 7 weeks before we left then stayed with my mum for the remaining time. If you have family and friends around you in the UK it would be easier and cheaper to borrow things to keep you going and camp out in your UK house (or stay with someone for a while) than try and manage with your stuff in Australia.

I have always shipped the day before I move myself on my international moves and have manged without at my destination. But in view of your timings, I would ship early so I am not indoor camping over Christmas. I think shipping in September means you could quite easily be still waiting.

Ask the shippers which ship they intend to put your container on, it can make weeks of difference! They should be able to show you the schedules. You might have to pay a bit more for a faster route but it can be worth it.

We had our stuff packed just in time for the ship, rather than a week or two before and it was delivered just as we moved out of our short term accommodation to our rental as planned. If we had just gone with the cheapest quote without asking it would have taken at least a month longer!

Of course there can still be delays and customs officials have their own timetable but it can give you more certainty.

Have an indoor camp out. We kept all the stuff we were not shipping (old, being thrown out, sold etc) and used that and also borrowed from family and friends and managed fine. Also bought from op shops any spare kitchen stuff or used old Ikea plates and things and recycled those before we left.

Ship the stuff when it suits you.

You either ship it earlier and live without it in the UK (basic camp in your own house) prior to your own departure, or you live with it in the UK until nearer your departure and have to make do without it in Australia (camp in your new Australian residence) after you arrive.

I doubt that the Festive period will have much impact on anything unless it arrives on one of the days that are gazetted public holidays.

We're planning to move to Australia this September and will be shipping a container of furniture and belongings.

Since this can take three months, plus customs time, I'm concerned that we might not get our stuff before Christmas (with additional delays due to seasonal holidays).

(Apologies for mentioning Christmas when it's only April by the way! ;-) )

What do people think about shipping/customs times at this time of year?

I shipped our belongings on 17 March (4 weeks ago) and we're expecting it all to arrive in about 6 weeks time.

No problems so far and we can track the ship's movements.

Archived