Diploma qualified nurses

My name is Samantha Devonport. I am a 24 year old who has recently moved to Perth, Australia from the UK.

My visa was granted in 2011 which I activated also 2011, but as I was at university studying to be a nurse, I wanted to complete the course before emigrating. I graduated university in September 2013 with a diploma in adult nursing.

My parents had emigrated to Australia and I stayed in the UK as my research stated that 'at the time' I would benefit from experience. I worked for 2 years 3 months in a medical ward in the UK before emigrating myself to Australia.

It has now been 4 months since arriving and I am still unemployed due to my registration status. I have gone through the correct procedures to ensure all of the relevant documents were provided to ensure I could gain AHPRA registration status. I have now been informed that my UK qualification (diploma in nursing) is not recognised and further studying is needed.

The AHPR agency informed me that I need to do a bridging course, however will need to endure the costs of $10,990. I cannot afford this money after not working for 4 months, and emigrating to Australia.

Having known the information earlier that the law on UK diploma qualified nurses not being recognised changing, I would have emigrated immediately post qualifying and applying for a job in Australia with no experience.

Because I am now unable to endure the costs of further education, I feel my only options are:

To return to UK to fulfil nursing which I don't want to do

or lose my career that I have already worked so hard for and stay in Australia which was difficult enough to get permanent residency for which I also don't want to do.

Please help

Correct. In fact, I believe nurses can still get a successful skills assessment with a diploma and emigrate. But cant work once there - though this was being looked and may have changed.

I think your choices are as you say: 1. Try and find the money to do a bridging course; 2. Return to the UK to work and maybe do the course there at the same time; 3. A different career.

On the plus side, you are very young and a year or two is all it would take to follow number 2.

How far off citizenship are you? I'm a nursing student here in WA, I'm a migrant who is a citizen and my studies are covered by HEX, so I pay nothing and will repay the loan once I'm working over a certain salary. Are you an RN with your diploma? I'm only asking as our uni does a EN to RN conversion, all covered by HEX and I can only say it's a fantastic degree and we have the highest rate of graduates going onto graduate programs at out uni, PM me if I can help in any way. Alternatively, just a thought, have you looked at doing nursing in aged care and seeing if they will sponsor you doing your conversion? Just a thought and you never know xxxxx

I am assuming you have a permament visa through parents? If so you have to weigh up one thing against another. If you want to stay in Australia and want to work as a nurse in Australia then you need to find or save up the money for the bridging course. You can workin whatever occupation you wish in the meantime. If you are not bothered about Australia or if working as a nurse immediately is the priority then yes you will need to move back to the UK. However the issue on Australia requiring the degree qualified nurse is unlikely to go away.

How far off citizenship are you? I'm a nursing student here in WA, I'm a migrant who is a citizen and my studies are covered by HEX, so I pay nothing and will repay the loan once I'm working over a certain salary. Are you an RN with your diploma? I'm only asking as our uni does a EN to RN conversion, all covered by HEX and I can only say it's a fantastic degree and we have the highest rate of graduates going onto graduate programs at out uni, PM me if I can help in any way. Alternatively, just a thought, have you looked at doing nursing in aged care and seeing if they will sponsor you doing your conversion? Just a thought and you never know xxxxx

Based on the information in her post she's 32 months away from being eligible to apply for citizenship (and it normally takes another 6 months after that before the ceremony). I doubt she's willing to put her career on hold for that long.

Based on the information in her post she's 32 months away from being eligible to apply for citizenship (and it normally takes another 6 months after that before the ceremony). I doubt she's willing to put her career on hold for that long.

I can understand, bottom line, Auz has adopted a strict approach, degree nurse or nothing, at 24 years old I would bite the bullet and do what I need to do, there lies a massive, amazing career for young nurses in WA, get the right qualifications, the world is at your feet!! I'm a mature student, not so many career opportunities for me, but I'm loving what I do, I'm loving learning and m going to enjoy my years as an RN, degree qualified, it's the only option in OZ xxx

So unfortunately OP has only choice but to do the conversion course, frustrating yes, but I would feel frustrated at doing a serious degree course and only getting s diploma??? Is there a difference with a Bachelors degree? Curious, as just gone through 'hell' semester, very thought, very intense, would not be happy to learn my hard work got me a diploma, got loads of them.....

Archived