TRAVEL INSURANCE WHEN MOVING TO OZ? Life insurance? any other insurances when emigrating

marie

Hi,

We are emagrating to Aus in july and just wondered if we should be getting any sort of insurance?

I would usually get travel insurance when going away (maybe to cover lost bags/flights) But wasn't sure how this would work as only going 1 way journey with no return date so wasn't sure if you can get travel insurance like this .

also Once I arrive obviously will sort medicare ect out, but wasn't sure if I should be getting any sort of cover until I could get this.#

Life Insurance- I was going to check with my policy company- but do most people keep on a life insurance policy in the Uk to cover them during the move, then get a new policy in Australia?

thanks in advance

Hi Marie,

Were moving in August and this is something I need to sort out as well. I was going to get one way travel insurance, via Dinsure or STA travel as recommended by a few on here. But i didn't see the point in getting any cover in Oz as we have a PR visa....and should be OK to register for Medicare immediately.

thanks for the info about 1 way travel insurance- I will look at those :)

Hi Marie,

Were moving in August and this is something I need to sort out as well. I was going to get one way travel insurance, via Dinsure or STA travel as recommended by a few on here. But i didn't see the point in getting any cover in Oz as we have a PR visa....and should be OK to register for Medicare immediately.

One-way travel insurance is a good idea.

Your UK insurances will probably be invalid the moment you cease being resident in the UK, but check with your provider.

You will be covered by Medicare immediately. You have a year from arrival to decide whether you want to take out private health insurance or not. Some do, some don't. It's not really necessary - Medicare is pretty similar to the NHS, it's just that Australians have got used to having some level of private treatment. Also, if you earn over a certain amount you have to pay extra tax if you don't have health insurance, so most high earners take out a basic policy for that reason.

This has kinda got me thinking ( sorry to hijack the thread) - What's the actually difference between one way travel insurance and normal travel insurance and can we just purchase normal insurance and be covered?

Its seems adding the word "Emigration" to insurance policy increases the costs by 4 to 10 times more than normal travel Insurance and the polices seem to cover less. And Looking at the policy for Go walkoutbouts here http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/wordings/GWEmigration2015KeyFacts.pdf - it still states that you must be a UK Resident: "Are a resident* of the United Kingdom or Channel Islands" *We define a resident as being someone who has their main home in the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands and has not spent more than six months abroad in the year beforebuying this policy.

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing- I just look looked and it is about £120 for travel insurance by just putting 1 way on STA and DUISURE- OUCH!

I know, its about the same for us! I'm sure the reason is something like "the trip must start and end in the UK" for standard Insurance..I'm sure someone will confirm this. Go walkabouts seems to be the cheapest for us

This has kinda got me thinking ( sorry to hijack the thread) - What's the actually difference between one way travel insurance and normal travel insurance and can we just purchase normal insurance and be covered?

Its seems adding the word "Emigration" to insurance policy increases the costs by 4 to 10 times more than normal travel Insurance and the polices seem to cover less. And Looking at the policy for Go walkoutbouts here http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/wordings/GWEmigration2015KeyFacts.pdf - it still states that you must be a UK Resident: "Are a resident* of the United Kingdom or Channel Islands" *We define a resident as being someone who has their main home in the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands and has not spent more than six months abroad in the year beforebuying this policy.

If you took out Go Walkabout's Emigration Insurance, you would be a resident of the UK at the time of taking out the policy as it has to be taken out before the journey commences, there's nothing untoward in that.

Normal travel insurance won't cover you as the policies will state that the travel must start from the UK and you must be returning to the UK and be a resident - you wouldn't be able to claim from Australia.

Life Insurance- I was going to check with my policy company- but do most people keep on a life insurance policy in the Uk to cover them during the move, then get a new policy in Australia?

Still got my UK life insurance. I contacted them (Aviva) expecting I would need to cancel it but they were happy to confirm (in writing) that it was still valid in Australia - which is really good news as it's proved to be extremely difficult to get life insurance in Australia. Anyone with more than one medical condition is apparently all but uninsurable.

We are in the throes of moving back to Oz and have had a quote online for the journey with Go Walkabout however I am going to ring them to get the full details as if you ,god forbid ,need to be repatriated where do you get repatriated to

We are both retirees health is not too bad but my hubby is slow around the place ass he has had 4 hip replacements - another fall in the middle of the journey would be all we need !

If you take out normal travel insurance and become unwell on your trip, and need repatriation you'll find yourself on the way back to the UK rather than onwards to Australia.

Archived