Long Term Car Hire UK

Johnny Kash

Hi folks,

We are heading back to UK for 3 months and after some advice/recommendations. :cool: Has anyone hired a car for a longer period and where from? Did you use a comparison site or go direct?

I'm guessing the other options are buy an old banger when over there and sell it on at the end (bit more hassle, would def work out cheaper), or leasing? (this looks way cheaper but don't think we could do this as not UK resident or a business)?

Thanks in advance,

JK

Not sure it would be cheaper if you include the insurance you would have to buy (if even possible due to residency) and possible road tax etc, risk of break downs too! If someone could lend you a car and have you named on the insurance that would be better, though still the worry of breakdowns, damage etc (a clutch went on me once cost was more than the car hire plus lost time)

The best deals I have been getting over the last 2 to 3 years is with Europcar, using the main website (not Aus or UK), it may be prudent to take out an excess policy with an independent insurer and not the car hire companies.

We have just booked a car for 34 days over the xmas period Astra 1.6 five door for 480 pounds (Heathrow pick-up), separate excess insurance will be some 50 quid. You may be able to talk a deal with one of the smaller independent hire companies.

Thanks for the replies,

I think were starting to realise that buying and selling over there is not really worth it due to the costs, hassle and negligible savings if any.

Have tried Europcar.com and it did come up with some good deals, cheaper than some of the comparison sites in fact.!

Really looking forward to visiting after 4 years away, will be interesting to see how we find things after being over here for so long - probably another thread that one :wink:

Thanks for the replies,

I think were starting to realise that buying and selling over there is not really worth it due to the costs, hassle and negligible savings if any.

Have tried Europcar.com and it did come up with some good deals, cheaper than some of the comparison sites in fact.!

Really looking forward to visiting after 4 years away, will be interesting to see how we find things after being over here for so long - probably another thread that one :wink:

Europecar has been the cheapest for us we hire in our home town and if we want to keep it longer we just go to thier office and tell them

You can get short term insurance if you buy a car but it's very expensive not with the hassles as you say

We used to hire the car with our Ausssie credit card and that covered the excess if anything happened to the car

Thanks for the replies,

We used Europecar for our last 8 week stay, but we got the best deal with them off a comparison site. Maybe they wised up, or it was due to the second driver remit.

We used to hire the car with our Ausssie credit card and that covered the excess if anything happened to the car

We did this and Com bank paid up when my Mrs scratched the car

We used Europecar for our last 8 week stay, but we got the best deal with them off a comparison site. Maybe they wised up, or it was due to the second driver remit.

We did this and Com bank paid up when my Mrs scratched the car

Would this be the case if we used a UK credit card? We both still have UK ones but no Aussie cards as yet (could probably apply for one if required).

Depends on any insurance attached to the card. Our Westpac card had holiday insurance that covered the car excess, our UK card insurance didn't.

Always read the small print. If you live in Aus you need insurance for Aus residents. Most insurance policies are invalid if you are not resident in the country you buy it from.

Just to add that although Nationwide keep telling us that we have holiday insurance attached to our credit card, the small print tells us we need to be UK residents for it to be valid. Now they know we live in Australia cause that is where they sent the new card! Standard info was included though.

Also you should use your Aus driving licence, even if you still have a UK one, for the same reason.

We have Citibank Australia credit cards they cover the insurance excess any where in the world on a hire car

But travel insurance the journey must start and end in Australia

I had booked flights to the UK and back with the card for what would have been my Mam 100th birthday

Sadly she passed away 6 weeks before hand so I had to change the flight dates

I thought I might have been covered for the cost because Mam had passed away and I was rearranging travel costs because of thag

i was told that I would only have been covered if Mam had died in Australia

Always always read the fine print

Just a point to note is that windows, tyres, undercarriage and lost keys are generally not covered on the hire car insurance therefor are not covered by excess insurance included with credit cards. Obviously the longer the hire period the greater the chance of something happening, taking out a separate excess policy normally covers these items

Would this be the case if we used a UK credit card? We both still have UK ones but no Aussie cards as yet (could probably apply for one if required).

You will find that the insurance attached to your UK card is not valid if you are not resident in the UK. Call them and check if it doesn't say in the small print. It is a condition of the insurance that you live in the UK and the journey starts and finishes there, the same goes for insurance attached to Aus cards, you need to live in Aus.

4 years and still not got an Aus credit card? If you get one make sure that it has the complimentary travel insurance included and check the terms and conditions for such insurance as you may have to spend a % of your travel costs for it to be valid.

Hi, I took a trip back to Blighty last Sept for twelve weeks, hired a vauxhall Astra from Europcar for the duration, it cost me 980 quid,  hope that helps

That works out at 11.67 pounds per day, which is what I have for later this year, not found any other that comes anywhere near! It would also be cheaper than having someone come and pick you up, what with time, fuel and parking costs involved by that someone.

Hi folks,

We are heading back to UK for 3 months and after some advice/recommendations. :cool: Has anyone hired a car for a longer period and where from? Did you use a comparison site or go direct?

I'm guessing the other options are buy an old banger when over there and sell it on at the end (bit more hassle, would def work out cheaper), or leasing? (this looks way cheaper but don't think we could do this as not UK resident or a business)?

Thanks in advance,

JK

They give cars away in the Uk you can buy a good car with Mot and Taxed for 600 Pound.On Gumtree Get your insurance from Skippy,they will accept your no claims bonus from Australia

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Just by way of an update. We ended up going with Europcar, they have 20% off just now if you book between now and 29th May - just look for 'crazy deals'. So we got a 5 door Corsa for 74 days for GBP900 - GBP12 a day, very happy with that. No other hire deal I found came anywhere close.

As mentioned by other posters, book via Europcar.com rather than UK and its cheaper for some reason.

Now time to get out and explore. We're in the Lake District just now, sun is shining and its just awesome to be back :cool: Oh, and Hibs won the Scottish Cup so it just got even better :smile:

Thanks again for some very good shouts/advice on car hire

Archived