Moving back to the UK 2017 - advice please!

costa123

Thanks for all the replies! We've got a lot to think about an organise, can imagine there's a lot of paperwork to complete after being away for so long but just hope it's not too painful. On a side note does anyone know what happens if we had debt when we originally left the UK - is it erased after a certain period of time or will it chase us again once we open up British bank accounts etc?

I tend to think unless you were to live within a stones throw of your Mum, support as such isn't going to be on tap. Having had PND myself and knowing how horrible it is, yes I can appreciate you wanting to be close to your Mum but PND does not last forever and at some point you own families needs and wants are going to come to the forefront (we lived almost 2 hours away from my parents when I had my baby and then moved while I was suffering PND another hour plus further away but we got through it). I guess what I am saying is don't bank or plan on being too close to your Mum distance wise. You could end up an hour or two away and its not the end of the world.

Having another baby is not a given, so don't plan for something that hasn't happened yet IYKWIM. Cross those bridges if and when you need to. I'd say its more important to just get back to England, for your husband to be able to secure work and for that to be decent and then the other things will follow. If he finds a good job up north a bit for a while, so be it I think. What will matter more in the long term is that your husband can find a decent job he enjoys that is something he can cope with commute wise and not being the one to commute hours each way because you want to be closer to family or some such.

Credit history wise, you'll have zip in the UK. I'd look to opening up an account there while you are still in Aus. Some UK banks are in Aus and you can do this with them. Pay something in to the account so you can build up a bit funds wise perhaps?

really helpful, thank you! I know just bring in the same country and on the same time zone will help so much.

If you have a British passport, any bank will say that BUT when you sit down with the bank official to do the paperwork, you'll discover they need a proof of address in the UK as well.

Sat down with Halifax yesterday and took in our passports and tenancy agreement. They didn't even look at the agreement as it wasn't something on their list of docs, but were happy with just passports. Account open and already put first transactions through it. Debit cards and cheque books will be 3 days and £250 overdraft approved

Sat down with Halifax yesterday and took in our passports and tenancy agreement. They didn't even look at the agreement as it wasn't something on their list of docs, but were happy with just passports. Account open and already put first transactions through it. Debit cards and cheque books will be 3 days and £250 overdraft approved

When I tell people they won't have major issues opening a bank account, getting cards overdraft etc I get jumped on and told it's practically impossible.

Thanks for all the replies! We've got a lot to think about an organise, can imagine there's a lot of paperwork to complete after being away for so long but just hope it's not too painful. On a side note does anyone know what happens if we had debt when we originally left the UK - is it erased after a certain period of time or will it chase us again once we open up British bank accounts etc?

There isn't really that much paper work. We only had a weeks notice of the move and so just sold everything and jumped on the plane.

The only issue is if you have pets - flying animals takes longer planning. For example, a dog must have its rabies shot 21 clear days prior to flying.

When I tell people they won't have major issues opening a bank account, getting cards overdraft etc I get jumped on and told it's practically impossible.

Nobody has said you can't get a bank account, the delay is providing proof of UK address which the new government legislation demands. If you looked at Quoll's post earlier, you'll see that banks are not allowed to open an account for anyone without proof of address, so the Halifax has broken the law if they didn't look at the tenancy agreement!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

Strangely, Barclays wouldnt take the tenancy agreement as proof of address which is what caused our frustration - if we'd known about that checklist we'd have made a fuss about it and maybe got the account sooner. Wouldn't have helped us get an overdraft or credit card though - you need a credit rating for that.

Nobody has said you can't get a bank account, the delay is providing proof of UK address which the new government legislation demands. If you looked at Quoll's post earlier, you'll see that banks are not allowed to open an account for anyone without proof of address, so the Halifax has broken the law if they didn't look at the tenancy agreement!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

Strangely, Barclays wouldnt take the tenancy agreement as proof of address which is what caused our frustration - if we'd known about that checklist we'd have made a fuss about it and maybe got the account sooner. Wouldn't have helped us get an overdraft or credit card though - you need a credit rating for that.

I work as a lawyer in the banking industry and whilst there is a requirement for proof of address, this can be done in many ways and doesn't always require physical sight of a document. A physical document is always better but there are ways that banks can check this without you needing an actual document.

I work as a lawyer in the banking industry and whilst there is a requirement for proof of address, this can be done in many ways and doesn't always require physical sight of a document. A physical document is always better but there are ways that banks can check this without you needing an actual document.

Of course they could consult the electoral role or the credit rating companies, but only if the person left the UK fairly recently, surely? For people returning after several years' absence (like me!), there would be no way to check.

Of course they could consult the electoral role or the credit rating companies, but only if the person left the UK fairly recently, surely? For people returning after several years' absence (like me!), there would be no way to check.

You stay on the electoral role for 15 years after leaving the UK which is rather more than "fairly recently".

You stay on the electoral role for 15 years after leaving the UK which is rather more than "fairly recently".

Only if you choose to, most people don't bother

I can't be the only one who sees no problem in showing a bank a few documents ?

It is having the proof that is the difficulty - if you are staying in a holiday rental, which many do then you have no proof of address.

Had a right carry on with my dad the other day - he is 85, hasn't had a passport since 1967 and due to his health his driving licence wasn't renewed last month. He needed to make a funds transfer greater than the online limit so had to go into the branch (which in itself is a military exercise) and despite being with the Halifax for at least 45 years, having his debit card and able to be identified via the PIN, his ISA cashbook, bus pass with photo, expired driving licence with photo, post office card and various utility bills with address he was unable to make the transfer because he did not satisfy the 'identity requirements'

It resulted in my dad incurring over £100 in additional interest charges!!! I was absolutely furious and will be taking it up with Lloyd's and if necessary the FSA/FCA. In my mind it amounts to discrimination on the basis of age, disability and wealth - only a driving licence or passport was acceptable nothing else!!

It is having the proof that is the difficulty - if you are staying in a holiday rental, which many do then you have no proof of address.

Had a right carry on with my dad the other day - he is 85, hasn't had a passport since 1967 and due to his health his driving licence wasn't renewed last month. He needed to make a funds transfer greater than the online limit so had to go into the branch (which in itself is a military exercise) and despite being with the Halifax for at least 45 years, having his debit card and able to be identified via the PIN, his ISA cashbook, bus pass with photo, expired driving licence with photo, post office card and various utility bills with address he was unable to make the transfer because he did not satisfy the 'identity requirements'

It resulted in my dad incurring over £100 in additional interest charges!!! I was absolutely furious and will be taking it up with Lloyd's and if necessary the FSA/FCA. In my mind it amounts to discrimination on the basis of age, disability and wealth - only a driving licence or passport was acceptable nothing else!!

That sounds more the result of dealing with a jobsworth to be honest. I would do what you are doing and take it higher.

That sounds more the result of dealing with a jobsworth to be honest. I would do what you are doing and take it higher.

I doubt it. We had similar frustrations dealing with Barclays, TSB and Santander. In all cases, the staff were really apologetic and obviously unhappy at what they felt were ridiculous rules - however they said that all their decisions were now vetted by a Security Team who made NO exceptions. If they opened an account or allowed a transaction that was against the new rules, it would be cancelled when it was reviewed, no mercy, so they had no choice.

My Aunt in her 80's , taken to the bank in her wheelchair by a taxi driver was told the account she was trying to draw from wasn't there ! She had not used it in years but had a passbook showing the balance Young teller was adamant No it's closed no fund Aunt left the bank and rang me ,so I went straight to her home where she rang the bank and gave authorisation for me to speak on her behalf She'd had a stroke months before and looked like she was going to have another on Lady on the phone was brilliant and full of apologies she found the funds in a 'sleeper' account it had been flagged as not being used so didn't pop up immediately when the teller searched

Computer said NO springs to mind

Archived