Vacuum storage bags

Hi folks.

We've just had a quote from PSS for our move from Somerset to NSW and I've packed a few odds and ends into vacuum/suction bags already. The man that came to do the quote said not to use them due to possible moisture damage. Now, I may not be the brightest pin in the box, but not sure how moisture would get in if there's no air??? Anyone else heard this? I just keep thinking that they don't want us to use them because they create less volume and these companies want lots of volume!!

Hi folks.

We've just had a quote from PSS for our move from Somerset to NSW and I've packed a few odds and ends into vacuum/suction bags already. The man that came to do the quote said not to use them due to possible moisture damage. Now, I may not be the brightest pin in the box, but not sure how moisture would get in if there's no air??? Anyone else heard this? I just keep thinking that they don't want us to use them because they create less volume and these companies want lots of volume!!

Not sure on that one but I know some things grow mould while in transit Maybe their way of thinking is that there could be moisture in the goods packed albeit a tiny amount but could cause problems ?

We used them for both air and shipped boxes, had no problems at all. If you are concerned you could buy some of those moisture absorbing sachets and stick them in. We didn't bother, packed things like towels and bedding etc. our shipped boxes took about 11 weeks to arrive, air about 10 days. No issues with either.

We shipped a lot of our stuff in vacuum bags then didnt open them for 3 years and still everything was as good as new. I think the guy is talking cobblers but other peoples experiences may differ I guess

Buy a heap of the silicon sachets from Amazon or Ebay and chuck a few in each bag. We used quite a few to ship clothes and it was fine. I threw in about half a dozen in each bag.

Hi folks.

It's because you never suck all the air out, so if there is any moisture already in there you are sealing it in....

Over the years i have heard of a few shippers who recommend you don't use them. I know some people have and have added the little silicon sachets. I guess at the end of the day ,if you use them and your stuff does arrive ok, all is good, however if arrives moldy or damaged i think you would have to suck it up and probably wouldn't be able to claim on your insurance (this is probably why they tell you not to use them).

Cal x

We used them for clothes mainly and then we packed the cardboard boxes with nylon wrap and we did not have a single box or item damaged, although we shipped everything in pallets as we did not have enough items for a full container.

Archived