Did anyone have a job lined up before leaving the UK?

sns

Hi

We are in the early stages of the visa application process, I have my English exam next week.

My husband works in the food manufacturing industry. Food manufacturers are often located out of town and in cheaper places, so it would be difficult for us to choose Perth for example, move there and expect him to be able to get a job within commuting distance.

So our ideal plan would be to get the 189/190 visa and then for him to apply for jobs from the UK.

Has anyone done this? Any tips, website etc? Is it possible, or do we need to wait until we arrive?

Thanks!

When you say " in food manufacturing " that a bit vague , is he the main applicant or you? If it's you what's your job? In answer to your question my OH had two job offers before we arrived, he just sent his CV out to all companies within his field whether they were advertising or not. Somewhere like Perth could well have food manufacturing very close to the CBD try Welshpool, Henderson, Kwinana and about an hour away from the CBD Mandurah, Pinjarra even the Swan Valley has food and wine manufacturing .

Edited by Que Sera Sera

My employer wouldn't finalise my contract unless I was in the country, so we moved over without a firm offer. I get the impression from reading various threads on this forum that employers are a bit dubious unless you are here ready to work, perhaps they've been let down before etc. Of course it's down to the individual employer, and it would be worth doing a reccie to Australia if possible before moving and contacting a few companies to find out what the market is like, and develop some contacts.

I'm moving out shortly and have had a few interviews before flying out.. But without a definite arrival date i don't think I would have got this far.

Even they - they both say they would wait to meet me face to face and for me to visit the site and meet the people before they would make a concrete offer.

Both for their benefit and mine. They last thing they wang is to restart the process in a month or two's time because the commute is too far or the town too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH and I both secured permanent jobs before departure following telephone interviews. Have posted on this several times before but can't emphasise enough to do your research of the sector as is in Australia and adapt your CV and covering letter accordingly.

We are not in the food sector so can't help with specific advice I'm afraid.

Moved out in 2009 on a 457 with the offer attached to said visa.

Returning in June with an offer form the same employer albeit we are now PR. I will commute on 14 day on 14 day off roster from April (jetlag anyone). Even though I'm well connected with my old employer it took a bit of back and forth before they would commit to an in writing offer.

Thanks for all your replies, I think even if he's made some positive contacts with some companies nearer to the time, then that will give us some comfort. My biggest worry would be choosing a school and area etc, get the kids started at school and then need to move again to be closer to his work.

Que Sera Sera - I am the main applicant (Accountant) but he will be the main earner. We have young children and I also know it's difficult for accountants to find jobs, so I'm happy to let him do the work!