uk child passport from oz help

bwatt99

May sound a bit silly these questions but im applying for a uk passport for our son who was born a month ago here in oz.

My question is does it make any difference which passport to apply for first?

Uk or oz passport.

Im almost done filling in form for oz passport just need the photos but thought i look into uk one.

Some questions it ask i want to make sure i answered right are:

Was the applicant a british national at birth? Said no was born in oz but we are both uk citizens.

Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalistation by the home office? Said no he was born in oz and been registered here in oz.

And when you enter parents full name does this include middle names or first and last enough?

Also i believe you can no longer do this at aus post office now but can only just out of interest who supporting docs do they ask for? As not completed the online application yet.

And can this be copies?

And what method of postage did you use to send to uk.

Not done a passport from uk yet here in oz and just wondered if there was anything futher i shoukd know.

I have only two original birth certs to send,two passport photos and the declaration form what do you recommend to use for postage to yk,the courier im sure would be a bit extreme and i think very expensive and not as if i have tons of docs.

Yes i suppose the two birth certs are important but wondered what best as not sure if much difference in price:

Pack and track international or registered post international.

And can you add insurance as sending birth certs if i had to replace if lost would be min $100.

But in saying that when they send your docs back from uk are they covered as could get lost on way back.

It probably be good both ways but dont fancy spending $100+ to get them again.

We just sent ours recorded delivery to the UK for about $20. Got passport back and other stuff a few weeks later. I don't remember it being difficult at all.

Edited by Guest
typo

I sent our stuff via the Express Courier International, which cost $54.10 (well two times that as I didn't include the original Birth Certificates the first time). Arrved int he UK within 3 days and I got the passport back yesterday. I think it took around 4 weeks total (less if you send everything the first time around)

Chris

May sound a bit silly these questions but im applying for a uk passport for our son who was born a month ago here in oz.

My question is does it make any difference which passport to apply for first?

Uk or oz passport.

Im almost done filling in form for oz passport just need the photos but thought i look into uk one.

Some questions it ask i want to make sure i answered right are:

Was the applicant a british national at birth? Said no was born in oz but we are both uk citizens.

Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalistation by the home office? Said no he was born in oz and been registered here in oz.

And when you enter parents full name does this include middle names or first and last enough?

Also i believe you can no longer do this at aus post office now but can only just out of interest who supporting docs do they ask for? As not completed the online application yet.

And can this be copies?

And what method of postage did you use to send to uk.

Not done a passport from uk yet here in oz and just wondered if there was anything futher i shoukd know.

Whenever I want to send stuff to the UK I takeit to the post office and ask them the best route, depending on whether it needs to be a parcel, or signed for, or whatever. Its not hard, just ask them! They will have plenty of knowledge about sending documents!

Whenever I want to send stuff to the UK I takeit to the post office and ask them the best route, depending on whether it needs to be a parcel, or signed for, or whatever. Its not hard, just ask them! They will have plenty of knowledge about sending documents!

I suppose i just need to ask im sure the uk side is covered sending stuff back as was done when doing application but its from here to uk,only having what i have just wondered best option.

As said if it got lost on way it would be $100+ to replace birth certs but who is to say it can get lost way over as not sure what method they use.

I suppose i just need to ask im sure the uk side is covered sending stuff back as was done when doing application but its from here to uk,only having what i have just wondered best option.

As said if it got lost on way it would be $100+ to replace birth certs but who is to say it can get lost way over as not sure what method they use.

I've sent documents over loads of times, especially when applying for my husband's visa. They have Express Post Tracked envelopes and all sorts of things, just ask them.

Yes but looking on site express post is most expensive good if they arrive safe over there but i believe when they send them back take no responsibility for lose of docs? So me paying loads to send just two docs and they could get lost on way back. Two birth certs,photos and declaration form is all im sending. But still pay same amount.

Can some confirm i hope in right as form is left with someone to countersign the part it ask to if i remeber declaration you sign a name which is applicant well being that applicant is 5 weeks old i signed my name and asks after that relationship to passport holder ne father and name.

I wonder if this name goes on his passport? As my daughters passport did not require it but thats over 3 yrs ago now.

Im pretty sure its right but be silly if it was send and not right.

Yes but looking on site express post is most expensive good if they arrive safe over there but i believe when they send them back take no responsibility for lose of docs? So me paying loads to send just two docs and they could get lost on way back. Two birth certs,photos and declaration form is all im sending. But still pay same amount.

I sent ours via Aus post, signed for the other end and also elsewhere en route. $20 to send it all. And it arrived back fine, they send the documents back separately from the new passport. The system carries many passports and applications. You are over thinking it a bit.

Would that have been registered international post? I'm sure looking online that's about price,do Aus post take responsibility it it does not make it to uk? As don't see if have insurance cover? But this was one I had been looking at,others have been paying more than double do they want passports ASAP or just feel other methods are more secure offer tracking and insurance.

I was thinking of sending my docs only two birth certs in a4 envelope but is there any point just to save folding it,but do they return the folded one the send your passport back as will see no point then?

Has anyone recently had there uk passport and docs return and was the docs folded.

As it maybe cheaper to post that in larger envelope

I was thinking of sending my docs only two birth certs in a4 envelope but is there any point just to save folding it,but do they return the folded one the send your passport back as will see no point then?

Has anyone recently had there uk passport and docs return and was the docs folded.

As it maybe cheaper to post that in larger envelope

Of course they will send the folded one back! Makes no difference whether its folded or ot. Mine is a very long birth certificate, its longer than an A3 page and HAS to be folded, it doesn't make it any less valid.

Using a larger envelope os often more expensive but the post office can advise you.

Send what folded one back when you buy or to date any birth certs i have purchased came unfolded and in a4.

Yes im sure you can still scan and make copies but with the fold line along middle.

Not an issue but it is good to keep then in a4.

And my question was if i paid a bit more and posted in a4 envelope if when they completed your passport and returned the birth certs if same sent a4 or smaller envelope to cut costs.

As see no point sending from oz in bigger envelope when they just return folded be pointless and the reason it was send a4 size to begin with.

I suppose i could always down the line get extra birth certs and keep the unfolded copie as they are and use folded copy for stuff like this.

If it had been certified copies would not care any less

Send what folded one back when you buy or to date any birth certs i have purchased came unfolded and in a4.

Yes im sure you can still scan and make copies but with the fold line along middle.

Not an issue but it is good to keep then in a4.

And my question was if i paid a bit more and posted in a4 envelope if when they completed your passport and returned the birth certs if same sent a4 or smaller envelope to cut costs.

As see no point sending from oz in bigger envelope when they just return folded be pointless and the reason it was send a4 size to begin with.

I suppose i could always down the line get extra birth certs and keep the unfolded copie as they are and use folded copy for stuff like this.

If it had been certified copies would not care any less

Am I misunderstanding you or are you actually now stressing more over whether a birth certificate gets a fold line in it than over whether you ahev the correct supporting documents? My birth certificate is so old is bigger than A3. It has to be folded. Its survived more years than you've been alive, I'm sure, and every time I do a certified copy it comes out fine, no problem with fold lines showing up.

Am I misunderstanding you or are you actually now stressing more over whether a birth certificate gets a fold line in it than over whether you ahev the correct supporting documents? My birth certificate is so old is bigger than A3. It has to be folded. Its survived more years than you've been alive, I'm sure, and every time I do a certified copy it comes out fine, no problem with fold lines showing up.

I can live with the folded birth certs just be nice to keep as i got them,im more stressing on the passport pics not being right.

The guy was told several times at post office it was for uk and oz passports. Had trouble getting the right shot being so young,gave it 20 mins and came back and tried again.

By this time only him and another guy in post office the queue was near out the door but hey small p.o. anyway.

He checked and said he may have one thats ok give it a go? I said its for uk and oz passport as it was on one sheet and looked all same ti me.

Now this is a guy who probably does lots of uk passports and others,they probably used to do the applications from here at one point.

He said just a few mm difference lol.

But is the uk not really fussy with these photos im sure they are. Looking at both uk and oz photos the overall size is same so that should be ok.

Its the face size they say is the difference and it looks like im over by a 1mm on the face to what uk say is max.

Ok the babys head is slightly to one side but it says thats ok on the site and even says under 1 yrs eyes can be shut,he has one slightly closed.

Looking at the uk photos on our passports including daughters one from 2012 the overall size is even smaller unless they have changed it since then or cause the passport agency makes the rules if they want they just trim as i swear the cut more off than should be.

Im just over a week since applying online and you get 5 weeks to complete,so 4 weeks left probably take a week to get there and god knows does it sit around until they look at it.

What if they was not happy with pic and ask for another does this 5 weeks still countdown?

As by time you got new pics had countersignature to sign again post back etc it be close to that time.

There is no rush to get the passport but be fine if we did as i can get my birth cert back and use for something else.

I talked with a few people on social media in my area and they went to a photoshop and had there pics done there.

But like me they all same,but says was accepted with passport agency uk.

Is there anywhere who takes these pics right size as asked for or are we fobed off with ones you get for oz passports?

I have a good mind to go back there and tell them to take again at there cost on whatvi asked for.

As it sure going to be a right hassle if its knocked back.

I maybe worrying to much about it but when they give you 5 weeks is this just to get all your stuff there? Or is the clock still ticking as would hate to lose the fee paid due to guy in post office saying it be fine.

But as said not just that hassle of doing pics all again and resending.

Itcm cant be that hard for them to have made them the right sizes.

Anyone else had pics taken post office or photo places and all being same.

Its like he made them more suited for oz passport and not uk or at least could have met in the middle so is accepted from both.

Are you saying 5 weeks to get the uk passport from Oz we have never ever waited that long

No they require 5 weeks to get all your docs etc from applying online and wondering if you had to send more or was issues if the clock was still ticking.

I can live with the folded birth certs just be nice to keep as i got them,im more stressing on the passport pics not being right.

The guy was told several times at post office it was for uk and oz passports. Had trouble getting the right shot being so young,gave it 20 mins and came back and tried again.

By this time only him and another guy in post office the queue was near out the door but hey small p.o. anyway.

He checked and said he may have one thats ok give it a go? I said its for uk and oz passport as it was on one sheet and looked all same ti me.

Now this is a guy who probably does lots of uk passports and others,they probably used to do the applications from here at one point.

He said just a few mm difference lol.

But is the uk not really fussy with these photos im sure they are. Looking at both uk and oz photos the overall size is same so that should be ok.

Its the face size they say is the difference and it looks like im over by a 1mm on the face to what uk say is max.

Ok the babys head is slightly to one side but it says thats ok on the site and even says under 1 yrs eyes can be shut,he has one slightly closed.

Looking at the uk photos on our passports including daughters one from 2012 the overall size is even smaller unless they have changed it since then or cause the passport agency makes the rules if they want they just trim as i swear the cut more off than should be.

Im just over a week since applying online and you get 5 weeks to complete,so 4 weeks left probably take a week to get there and god knows does it sit around until they look at it.

What if they was not happy with pic and ask for another does this 5 weeks still countdown?

As by time you got new pics had countersignature to sign again post back etc it be close to that time.

There is no rush to get the passport but be fine if we did as i can get my birth cert back and use for something else.

I talked with a few people on social media in my area and they went to a photoshop and had there pics done there.

But like me they all same,but says was accepted with passport agency uk.

Is there anywhere who takes these pics right size as asked for or are we fobed off with ones you get for oz passports?

I have a good mind to go back there and tell them to take again at there cost on whatvi asked for.

As it sure going to be a right hassle if its knocked back.

I maybe worrying to much about it but when they give you 5 weeks is this just to get all your stuff there? Or is the clock still ticking as would hate to lose the fee paid due to guy in post office saying it be fine.

But as said not just that hassle of doing pics all again and resending.

Itcm cant be that hard for them to have made them the right sizes.

Anyone else had pics taken post office or photo places and all being same.

Its like he made them more suited for oz passport and not uk or at least could have met in the middle so is accepted from both.

Good heavens. You really are overthinking this and making it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Any Kodak (or camera/photo) shop would sort you out for UK passport pics with ease. We walked into our local one and walked out 10 minutes later with 2 packs of passport pics, Aus compliant in one pack, UK in the other. There is a difference in the requirements and any decent camera shop will know this and be able to tweak the settings. If you are in doubt, go somewhere else and get them done again. Ensure the background is the correct colour. We had bright white for ours.

Our application for UK passport from Aus was back within 4 weeks or so. Not much more than that. Supporting documents arrived back a few days before. It was really simple and straightforward. I've read the odd case where applications/pictures are returned and asked for again (usually the background is the issue) and the odd time when someone has to send something else but it is rare. So long as the things required are sent and the passport photos are UK standard, it is fine.

Until they contact you or send the application back and tell you its not correct, stop worrying. You can't do anything till that happens anyways and no point fretting for something that may not even happen. You can deal with whatever comes up then I am sure. Be it new photos or whatever else and resubmit.

Good heavens. You really are overthinking this and making it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Any Kodak (or camera/photo) shop would sort you out for UK passport pics with ease. We walked into our local one and walked out 10 minutes later with 2 packs of passport pics, Aus compliant in one pack, UK in the other. There is a difference in the requirements and any decent camera shop will know this and be able to tweak the settings. If you are in doubt, go somewhere else and get them done again. Ensure the background is the correct colour. We had bright white for ours.

Our application for UK passport from Aus was back within 4 weeks or so. Not much more than that. Supporting documents arrived back a few days before. It was really simple and straightforward. I've read the odd case where applications/pictures are returned and asked for again (usually the background is the issue) and the odd time when someone has to send something else but it is rare. So long as the things required are sent and the passport photos are UK standard, it is fine.

Until they contact you or send the application back and tell you its not correct, stop worrying. You can't do anything till that happens anyways and no point fretting for something that may not even happen. You can deal with whatever comes up then I am sure. Be it new photos or whatever else and resubmit.

Yes i know sent it off see what happens just annoys me you ask for uk and oz pics and give all same and there is a slight difference in whats required by uk standards. But they might just say its ok,i moaned about it to go at post office said not had issues before so lets see the outcome as they don't give you a guide on photos for nothing and the head size is slightly over in what uk as for. Lets see