Do I need an Australian Passport?

britsabroad2013

Hello all,

I have Australian Citizenship and will be leaving country around August. I've read that once I have Australian Citizenship my Perm Resident Visa which is linked to my British Passport in 'cancelled'

When I leave the country and they check my British Passport technically I wont have a visa linked to that as it's been 'cancelled' so my question is will I have trouble at the airport traveling on my British Passport? Has anyone had an experience with this in the past?

Many thanks for any input.

Hello all,

I have Australian Citizenship and will be leaving country around August. I've read that once I have Australian Citizenship my Perm Resident Visa which is linked to my British Passport in 'cancelled'

When I leave the country and they check my British Passport technically I wont have a visa linked to that as it's been 'cancelled' so my question is will I have trouble at the airport traveling on my British Passport? Has anyone had an experience with this in the past?

You might get away with leaving on it, but if you are returning you definitelyneed an Australian passport. All Australian citizens must travel on an Australian passport Your visa is no longer in effect.

Your visa would no longer be valid so it might raise some questions when departing Aus immigration. You should, as an Aus citizen depart and enter Aus on an Aus passport.

Trying to return your UK one would be an issue.

Guest alansgirlfriend
Hello all,

Hi there

I'd be really interested to find the answer to this for sure. I am also returning back home to Scotland but will be returning on my UK passport. I have citizenship but didn't get an Australian passport.

We're heading home in June.

What sort of problems can it cause? Travelling back to our home town with a UK passport on a one way ticket?

We could always show our citizenship certificate at immigration if need be?

Hi there ?

I'd be really interested to find the answer to this for sure. I am also returning back home to Scotland but will be returning on my UK passport. I have citizenship but didn't get an Australian passport.

We're heading home in June.

What sort of problems can it cause? Travelling back to our home town with a UK passport on a one way ticket?

We could always show our citizenship certificate at immigration if need be?

Yes trying to leave on a UK passport will cause a problem if your a citizen it has to be an Aussie passport We had a friend that was held up at the aiport and finally allowed to leave on her UK passport But she said she felt harressed by the whole experience

We fly out of Oz on our Aussie passport and into UK on our UK passport I know it costs for the Aussie one but it makes life easier in the long run to have both

We were returning to Oz one time from the UK and I inadvertently gave my UK passport they picked up straight away no return visa and I promptly pulled the Aussie one out

Edited by Patphillips47

The general advice is you must have an Australian passport to leave Australia, although a friend recently did get a definitive answer that it was not a legal requirement.

As above though, do you really want the hassle at the airport?

And you absolutely couldn't come back to Australia without one which would mean applying from one overseas which is significantly more difficult and expensive - personally I will be keeping my Australian passport up to date as renewing it from overseas is again easier than a new application.