Council Tax

janlo

In the UK I pay £1350 for a tiny 2 bedroom (really small). I rent, wish it was just home owners here who had to pay that would be awesome for me. :-p

So not only do renters in the UK pay off the owners mortgage for them, they also have to pay the rates. I think that is awful :mad:

We pay £264 a month in UK and the council are about to raise it by the maximum percentage that the government allow. I do think it's fair that renters pay too though, they also use the pothole-filled roads and bin services

Just asked inlaws they pay £1300 per year

We pay over £1200 a year in north east England The rates are worked out on a band level ABC etc depending on the area your in not the house size

oddly enough my son in Oz is moving onto a property on acres and will pay less in rates that's his current suburban home

We pay over £1200 a year in north east England The rates are worked out on a band level ABC etc depending on the area your in not the house size

oddly enough my son in Oz is moving onto a property on acres and will pay less in rates that's his current suburban home

Council tax is based on the value of the property in 1991 with new builds being given an assumed value for that year. The reasoning behind the costs for each band is explained on Wikipedia (fairly long winded).

Not for where The Pom Queen and I are (Townsville), "Council uses the unimproved capital or site valuation as advised by Department of Natural Resources and Mines to determine the rateable value"

Councils are (unfortunately) pretty much able to do as they wish.

And (as we have just had highlighted) different states act like different countries.

Its the state laws and proceedures that affect our lives on a day to day basis.

It makes federal matters seem like a bit of a joke, really.

We pay £264 a month in UK and the council are about to raise it by the maximum percentage that the government allow. I do think it's fair that renters pay too though, they also use the pothole-filled roads and bin services

I wish they did fix the potholes our town has so many and even our local motorway is full of potholes. I would obviously prefer the owner to pay as we do pay the mortgage for them too. Our council tax is also raising by the maximum percentage allowed this April. :-(

Our house is super small but our house and next door used to be one house so I have a feeling myself and our neighbours are paying the rate each as it was in 1991 when it was a 3 bedroom house it is now two, 2 bedroom houses but the bedrooms are so small can't even fit a waredrobe in. So the council get the payment twice as next door pays the same.

I wish they did fix the potholes our town has so many and even our local motorway is full of potholes. I would obviously prefer the owner to pay as we do pay the mortgage for them too. Our council tax is also raising by the maximum percentage allowed this April. :-(

Our house is super small but our house and next door used to be one house so I have a feeling myself and our neighbours are paying the rate each as it was in 1991 when it was a 3 bedroom house it is now two, 2 bedroom houses but the bedrooms are so small can't even fit a waredrobe in. So the council get the payment twice as next door pays the same.

Just seems wrong. :mask:

Archived