Port Macquarie - New South Wales

Guest The Pom Queen

We visited Port Macquarie a few months ago (the week before the massive floods) taking advantage of these small regional flights to open up regional destinations, now that Virgin and Qantas are fairly grounded due to their big planes and too few passengers.  

It's a lovely little place, though not sure that it would not become quite boring after a time.

Climate was wonderful but they do get lots of rains...the rivers are not real lengthy rivers, but short run offs from the surrounding mountains.

Because it's very flat near the river, I actually looked at the flood maps and realised a large part of Hastings River Drive and Settlement Point (where they were building new houses) would be underwater at some point....then 7 days later it all flooded. I imagine house insurance will be very difficult from now on, unless you're elevated well above river level or on the sea side nr Lighthouse Beach.

I much preferred Coffs as a place you could live better, with more services.

• 4 months later...

I have been offered a job in Port Macquarie and would love to hear from anyone living there. How you are finding it.. Is it easy to make friends? Is it very expensive? I live in suburbia of a medium sized town currently so not worried about it being quite small and quiet.

Im getting very nervous now its becoming more real!

1 hour ago, Ruth1 said:

I have been offered a job in Port Macquarie and would love to hear from anyone living there. How you are finding it.. Is it easy to make friends? Is it very expensive? I live in suburbia of a medium sized town currently so not worried about it being quite small and quiet.

Im getting very nervous now its becoming more real!

It really depends what you're hoping for.  Are you in Australia already or still in the UK?  The great thing about Port is that you can have the house by the beach for a reasonable price, unlike the major cities.  

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It really depends what you're hoping for.  Are you in Australia already or still in the UK?  The great thing about Port is that you can have the house by the beach for a reasonable price, unlike the major cities.  

I am still in the UK. I just want a better work life balance, more time spend in the outdoors, a more relaxed pace of life.. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ruth1 said:

I am still in the UK. I just want a better work life balance, more time spend in the outdoors, a more relaxed pace of life.. 

Homely.com.au is a good place to check out

https://www.homely.com.au/port-macquarie-hastings-mid-north-coast-new-south-wales

If you're coming from the UK, then you're probably imagining Australia as a place where you'll have good weather and easy access to the beach and an outdoorsy life.   Port Macquarie will fit that bill. 

Because house prices are now so expensive in the major cities in Australia, you need to be a millionaire (or more) to buy a home anywhere close to a beach.  So smaller cities like Pt Macquarie are your best bet to get that kind of lifestyle.  It's a tourist town so it's not short of cafés, restaurants etc but it will be quiet in the wintertime.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Homely.com.au is a good place to check out

https://www.homely.com.au/port-macquarie-hastings-mid-north-coast-new-south-wales

If you're coming from the UK, then you're probably imagining Australia as a place where you'll have good weather and easy access to the beach and an outdoorsy life.   Port Macquarie will fit that bill. 

Because house prices are now so expensive in the major cities in Australia, you need to be a millionaire (or more) to buy a home anywhere close to a beach.  So smaller cities like Pt Macquarie are your best bet to get that kind of lifestyle.  It's a tourist town so it's not short of cafés, restaurants etc but it will be quiet in the wintertime.

Great, thank you. Really reassuring.

On 25/07/2021 at 06:52, Robert Dyson said:

We visited Port Macquarie a few months ago (the week before the massive floods) taking advantage of these small regional flights to open up regional destinations, now that Virgin and Qantas are fairly grounded due to their big planes and too few passengers.  

It's a lovely little place, though not sure that it would not become quite boring after a time.

Climate was wonderful but they do get lots of rains...the rivers are not real lengthy rivers, but short run offs from the surrounding mountains.

Because it's very flat near the river, I actually looked at the flood maps and realised a large part of Hastings River Drive and Settlement Point (where they were building new houses) would be underwater at some point....then 7 days later it all flooded. I imagine house insurance will be very difficult from now on, unless you're elevated well above river level or on the sea side nr Lighthouse Beach.

I much preferred Coffs as a place you could live better, with more services.

Coffs has serious drug issues seemingly getting worse . Nothing unique in that, it's across much of Australia. But the growth in Coffs is of concern. 

Ruth1 I lived in Port Macquarie for a year 2018-end 2019. 

Positives - it is a beautiful location, you can live very close to the beach for a reasonable price (I was renting), lots of nice cafes. It was a nice community and the people were quite friendly a made a few friends through work. I think it is what a British person would think a typical Australian lifestyle is relaxed beach side living. I actually really enjoyed the winter there, coming from the UK you will still think it is warm.

Negatives - the distance from any significantly larger town, for example I was pregnant at the time and there are limited health services locally so had to go to Newcastle which is a 3 hour drive for some appointments due to complications. Locally there is a limited range of shops and you can't always get things like furniture delivered due to the distance from Sydney. There are also limited jobs locally so if a partner is coming with you, they may find it difficult to find work depending what they do. 

I enjoyed my time there but my husbands work contract did not get renewed so we moved on, I could have happily stayed another couple of years but I think long term it would have been too remote for me.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 03:27, kmrg said:

Ruth1 I lived in Port Macquarie for a year 2018-end 2019. 

Positives - it is a beautiful location, you can live very close to the beach for a reasonable price (I was renting), lots of nice cafes. It was a nice community and the people were quite friendly a made a few friends through work. I think it is what a British person would think a typical Australian lifestyle is relaxed beach side living. I actually really enjoyed the winter there, coming from the UK you will still think it is warm.

Negatives - the distance from any significantly larger town, for example I was pregnant at the time and there are limited health services locally so had to go to Newcastle which is a 3 hour drive for some appointments due to complications. Locally there is a limited range of shops and you can't always get things like furniture delivered due to the distance from Sydney. There are also limited jobs locally so if a partner is coming with you, they may find it difficult to find work depending what they do. 

I enjoyed my time there but my husbands work contract did not get renewed so we moved on, I could have happily stayed another couple of years but I think long term it would have been too remote for me.

Thank you for your advice-really helpful!!

• 1 month later...
On 09/12/2021 at 19:45, Ruth1 said:

Hi Ruth

You mentioned Port Macquarie in another post, but then it was locked for some reason, and I was unable to answer

PM is a lovely place to visit and live. 

It WILL certainly give you a "better work life balance, more time spent in the outdoors, a more relaxed pace of life.."

Lucky you. 

In regards to the drugs comment someone made, well unfortunately in 2021 / 2022, drugs are everywhere almost (no longer living in the 70s). But unless you take drugs, you may not even notice there is a drug issue. I have just found out there is a cocaine craze in my suburb, but never seen any drug dealings or high people on the streets, and crime rates are very low. I don't take drugs, so other people doing it doesn't impact on me. If you are going to worry about something like that, you may as well go live in a cave atop a mountain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/01/2022 at 21:47, BeachBabe2022 said:

Hi Ruth

You mentioned Port Macquarie in another post, but then it was locked for some reason, and I was unable to answer

PM is a lovely place to visit and live. 

It WILL certainly give you a "better work life balance, more time spent in the outdoors, a more relaxed pace of life.."

Lucky you. 

In regards to the drugs comment someone made, well unfortunately in 2021 / 2022, drugs are everywhere almost (no longer living in the 70s). But unless you take drugs, you may not even notice there is a drug issue. I have just found out there is a cocaine craze in my suburb, but never seen any drug dealings or high people on the streets, and crime rates are very low. I don't take drugs, so other people doing it doesn't impact on me. If you are going to worry about something like that, you may as well go live in a cave atop a mountain. 

Thank you for your advice. Yes I am not really worried about the drugs issue as it is a problem here aswell but it doesnt have any impact on me personally and I am sure I will be oblivious to it.  Feeling excited now, just wish the whole process wasnt so long winded and expensive!