IELTS test for native English speakers?

CassiegotoOz

You do not need to sit the English test if you are a British passport holder (unless your occupation requires you to?) Most people take the test to boost points (I did)

Unfortunately you do not get any points for just being English, if you need the extra points you need to sit the test.

There is also an alternative to IELTS, I sat the PTE Academic, its all computer based.

Majority of people need to take it to reach the minimum points required for application, or who wish to increase the number of points they have to increase their chances of getting an invite to apply. As a UK passport holder you will automatically be given band 6 however this gives you no points.

How difficult is it to get the 20 points? At present I have 70 points based on getting 20 in test, I lose 10 points in Jan as I turn 40. My dilemma is we visit oz in August and by then be too late to start visa process and submit by Jan as need to do skills assessment and English test. We need to go with an agent due to all paper work and want to get it right. Due to the costs of agent and if we don't wish to proceed I've help back starting process. Just wondering how difficult it is to get the 20 points?

If you're a native speaker, it isn't difficult at all to pick up 10 points with IELTS or PTE-A. I've taken IELTS, PTE-A, and TOEFL, and I'd recommend you give PTE-A a crack. You might be pleasantly surprised how well you do. Oh, and don't bother studying for it: just a waste of time.

Incidentally, no idea what profession you'll be applying for; however, if it's any of the 2611/2613 categories, feel free to give me a nudge. Went through the process without an agent (hate spending money if I don't need to), so relatively well versed in what you'd need for these.

I sat the PTE -A back in October and scored 20 points. If you are a native speaker and ok on a computer / Typing you should be fine, it was relatively easy, easier than I thought it would be. I disagree with CiderDrinkingCoder though, I do think you need to familiarise yourself with the format of the test or it will just throw you on the day. For example on the speaking part if you don't start talking within 3 seconds the microphone switches off and you move onto the next question. I studied every evening for the 3 weeks up until the test and really think it was worth it. I don't think I would have got the 20 points if I had not practiced. It just makes you more confident on the day and comfortable with what to expect.

If you're a native speaker, it isn't difficult at all to pick up 10 points with IELTS or PTE-A. I've taken IELTS, PTE-A, and TOEFL, and I'd recommend you give PTE-A a crack. You might be pleasantly surprised how well you do. Oh, and don't bother studying for it: just a waste of time.

Incidentally, no idea what profession you'll be applying for; however, if it's any of the 2611/2613 categories, feel free to give me a nudge. Went through the process without an agent (hate spending money if I don't need to), so relatively well versed in what you'd need for these.

Im a qualified social worker. The skills assessment looks like a mind field with so much information to provide, I'm guessing with dedication I could do this but still need agent for visa application as an error can cost dearly.

thanks

I sat the PTE -A back in October and scored 20 points. If you are a native speaker and ok on a computer / Typing you should be fine, it was relatively easy, easier than I thought it would be. I disagree with CiderDrinkingCoder though, I do think you need to familiarise yourself with the format of the test or it will just throw you on the day. For example on the speaking part if you don't start talking within 3 seconds the microphone switches off and you move onto the next question. I studied every evening for the 3 weeks up until the test and really think it was worth it. I don't think I would have got the 20 points if I had not practiced. It just makes you more confident on the day and comfortable with what to expect.

looks like PTE is my safest bet, how long does this last once you get the points?

yes would have study before as really need the 20 points.

thanks for he info on speaking part I won't forget that bit!

what % do you have to get to get 20 points?

thanks

They mark it in 4 sections. Listening, Writing, Reading & Speaking. You have to score 79 out of 90 on all 4 sections to get the 20 points. The main thing to remember with the speaking is to just keep talking as again if you pause for more than 3 seconds the mic turns off. Keeping talking even if its a umm or ahh

Best of luck, im sure you will do just fine

They mark it in 4 sections. Listening, Writing, Reading & Speaking. You have to score 79 out of 90 on all 4 sections to get the 20 points. The main thing to remember with the speaking is to just keep talking as again if you pause for more than 3 seconds the mic turns off. Keeping talking even if its a umm or ahh

Many thanks

Many thanks

3 Years.......

I've just checked my PTE-A SCORE report and it states the following:

Report Issue date - 8th October 2015

Report Expiry date - 7th October 2017

So certainly in my case the validity is 2 years!

I've just checked my PTE-A SCORE report and it states the following:

Report Issue date - 8th October 2015

Report Expiry date - 7th October 2017

So certainly in my case the validity is 2 years!

Regardless what's on your certificate, DIBP accepts a test conducted in the 3 years prior to your invitation: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/mr1994227/s1.15d.html

Archived