Enrolling and then moving schools

aaminuk

I'm arriving in Melbourne in the next few weeks, and planning on getting my 3 kids (4,4,8) into school as soon as the holidays are over!

I am aware that as long as we are in the area, we are guanteed a place, which makes looking for a house both easier and harder in many respects!

I'm very conciuous though that our first house will be less than ideal, having no references and oz budget experience, we will be lowballing our ability to pay until we fiund our feet, so expect to move after the first year to somewhere different.

if we do move, can we keep our kids in the same school, or does the catchment rule mean we pretty much get kicked out of that school as soon as we move?

I'm arriving in Melbourne in the next few weeks, and planning on getting my 3 kids (4,4,8) into school as soon as the holidays are over!

I am aware that as long as we are in the area, we are guanteed a place, which makes looking for a house both easier and harder in many respects!

I'm very conciuous though that our first house will be less than ideal, having no references and oz budget experience, we will be lowballing our ability to pay until we fiund our feet, so expect to move after the first year to somewhere different.

if we do move, can we keep our kids in the same school, or does the catchment rule mean we pretty much get kicked out of that school as soon as we move?

I think that once you are in the school you would be ok but I dont think they need to guarantee siblings a place if you move outwith the catchment so you could end up with kids in different schools

It all depends - generally they might allow you to stay but some schools are seriously pressed for spaces and might request you to move. Similarly you might get ticked off at having to trek out of suburb to take them to and from school. Also siblings might not get places. I'd plan on changing schools, much easier in the long run.

The 4 year olds probably won't be in school this year.

Edited by Quoll

thanks for the responses, i guess we need to be a little careful to select a school we are happy with in case we stay. i dont want to move the kids again after the first year, as my daughter will be 9, and i want her settled.

thanks for the responses, i guess we need to be a little careful to select a school we are happy with in case we stay. i dont want to move the kids again after the first year, as my daughter will be 9, and i want her settled.

I'd be looking at the best High Schools in the area as apprised to the best Primary Schools if you"re looking long term. They generally have a larger catchment area too.

FWIW we moved schools with our son 9 months in and it was fine. We started off in one area and we knew there was a nice school there but we never viewed it as the place we wanted to be in the long term so we were always open that we'd maybe move him to a better school if we found a house in a different area. We bought after 7 months and moved 20 minutes drive from the old school. And the schools in the area we had bought in were far better so it was a no brainer we moved. I did do a full term of driving to his old school daily with the noble idea in my head we'd move him at the end of the school year but the reality was that after one term (term 2) we'd both had enough and so he changed schools in term 3 and it was fine. Had a few transition days to make sure he was happy with it, made friends while there and settled in brilliantly. 2 years on almost is so happy and settled and never had a blip.

We have kept in touch with a few friends from his first school here. I made a real effort to do this and we see them on weekends sometimes during term, have sleepovers in the school holidays and play dates and stuff. Plus he made loads of new friends in our local area.

I'd not rule out moving to a new area within the first year, nor rule out moving schools if its a better long term thing for you all. Done the right way, supported and so on most kids move schools fine at primary age. Its older can tend to be harder. Loads of kids move schools during the school year here and we have 2 new kids in our sons class for this school year. And others left to move elsewhere.

ETA - And yes, I agree, I'd be focusing on being in an area with a decent high school catchment if you want the longer term picture. You may be in an area where you like the primary but the high school isn't so great and you'd be rather stuffed then a few years down the road.

Edited by Guest
eta