Accommodation

Quokka2005

Hey guys

i don't suppose anybody knows of any campsites that are near public transport for the city? I found one but it's not got good reviews.

Other than that if anybody knows of any hostels in Sydney that would have parking for a van? Although we aren't that keen on driving into the actual city

Hey guys

i don't suppose anybody knows of any campsites that are near public transport for the city? I found one but it's not got good reviews.

Other than that if anybody knows of any hostels in Sydney that would have parking for a van? Although we aren't that keen on driving into the actual city

Bearing in mind you weren't that keen on Sydney the first time, how much time do you expect to spend in the actual city?

You could look at a camp site up on the Central Coast somewhere, it's about an hour into the city by train but that's not too bad - and you avoid all the horrible traffic through Sydney, which starts at about Hornsby!

Then you can stop into the Entrance to feed the pelicans, go to the Forest of Tranquility to see the king parrots and wallabies, and try the fresh seafood at Woy Woy Fishermen's Wharf.

http://www.terrigal.org/accommodation/camping_1.html

http://www.forestoftranquility.com/

Edited by Marisawright

Lane Cover river tourist park, in Lane Cove National Park

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/lane-cove-river-tourist-park-caravan-park

It's quite central, and an easy walk to North Ryde train station that has trains to the city every 15 minutes, taking about 25 minutes

For something slightly different then Narrabeen Lakeside is in a good spot - next to Narrabeen lakes on the Northern Beaches and an easy walk from two fab ocean beaches too (including Turimetta which you won't believe is a Sydney beach it's so unspoiled - they filmed some of Banished there as it's easy to get shots with no houses, roads, etc etc). Pretty hopeless for PT to the city though

Thanks everyone, I'll suggest both of those tomorrow. They sound good.

At the risk of everybody thinking I'm mad but they probably already do anyway - I'm having another crack at Sydney. I realised when I came to Queensland that it wasn't Sydney I hated (other than Pitt street!), I could have went to Perth that week and I wouldn't have liked it. I think it was a mix of culture shock/jet lag, twisting my ankle, bank card being blocked and hating being in my tour group. I should have listened to a few others and stayed at least another week to see how I felt. I've been thinking about it a lot and I miss the buzz which is maybe why I'm not liking most of these small seaside towns, I really don't know. There seems to be a lot more work in Sydney especially compared to Brisbane.

My problem is the price of accommodation so I'm probably going to have to live quite a lot outside the city. I'll just have to see how it goes but I'm looking forward to at least a few tourist days. Jakes never been so I'm going to show him the bits that I know and I'll do a few of the bits I missed (nearly all of it!)

Thanks everyone, I'll suggest both of those tomorrow. They sound good.

At the risk of everybody thinking I'm mad but they probably already do anyway - I'm having another crack at Sydney. I realised when I came to Queensland that it wasn't Sydney I hated (other than Pitt street!), I could have went to Perth that week and I wouldn't have liked it. I think it was a mix of culture shock/jet lag, twisting my ankle, bank card being blocked and hating being in my tour group. I should have listened to a few others and stayed at least another week to see how I felt. I've been thinking about it a lot and I miss the buzz which is maybe why I'm not liking most of these small seaside towns, I really don't know. There seems to be a lot more work in Sydney especially compared to Brisbane.

My problem is the price of accommodation so I'm probably going to have to live quite a lot outside the city. I'll just have to see how it goes but I'm looking forward to at least a few tourist days. Jakes never been so I'm going to show him the bits that I know and I'll do a few of the bits I missed (nearly all of it!)

I remember the first week in Sydney as being in a haze from jet lag so I know how you must have felt plus the pain from your twisted foot not helping at all. The CBD is OK for working in but not for living. Don't forget Manly on the ferry this time and choose a nice sunny day to go. Did you get to see The Lion King? Probably not on in Sydney now but when my SIL and her OH visited us when we were in Sydney we all went to see it in a theatre near China Town.

I actually think Sydney can be harder to get a job as a backpacker than a Brisbane or an Adelaide due to the huge numbers of backpackers looking for a job and a flat share in Bondi/Coogee. Whilst most are only passing through the other places so not really looking for work. When I was backpacking most people seemed to be having success finding jobs in Perth and Brisbane, not sure if Perth is now a harder nut to crack, or still plenty of retail work.

I actually think Sydney can be harder to get a job as a backpacker than a Brisbane or an Adelaide due to the huge numbers of backpackers looking for a job and a flat share in Bondi/Coogee. Whilst most are only passing through the other places so not really looking for work. When I was backpacking most people seemed to be having success finding jobs in Perth and Brisbane, not sure if Perth is now a harder nut to crack, or still plenty of retail work.

you could be right, I never applied for any jobs when I was there so I don't know. My friends found work easily though and I read a post saying that the uni students are back to uni now and that backpackers should be starting to leave a bit more now. Perth isn't very easy to find work from what I've read/experienced. I think it might be struggling more. I'd read several backpackers say Brisbane was a nightmare for work but it's difficult to know because obviously people look for different things and have different experiences or even attitudes towards work. A pio member had told me to try a place for work and I didn't get a chance to go because I left so early so that's the first place I'll try. I could do au pair work instead of having to go back to Scotland but I'd rather find a "normal" job

I remember the first week in Sydney as being in a haze from jet lag so I know how you must have felt plus the pain from your twisted foot not helping at all. The CBD is OK for working in but not for living. Don't forget Manly on the ferry this time and choose a nice sunny day to go. Did you get to see The Lion King? Probably not on in Sydney now but when my SIL and her OH visited us when we were in Sydney we all went to see it in a theatre near China Town.

i didn't think I had jet lag but I must have, or culture shock. The first week was just really overwhelming. Everything that could go wrong did lol. Nah I didn't get a chance to go to lion king, didn't go in Perth either :(

i might even find work somewhere like Newcastle instead so I would be fine with that if I couldn't live in Sydney but NSW in general seems to have more work than Queensland at the moment