Maternity leave and years of experience for visa application

sns

Hi

I have been in my current job for just over 10 years. Full time for the first 5 years or so, however since then I have had time off for maternity leave and then returned part time. I have been on the same continuous contract for the who time. Will this count against me if I try to claim 8 out of the last 10 years experience? Thanks!

Hi, thank you for your response, I spoke to a migration consultant today and he said that maternity leave still counts. My part time hours are now 24 hours per week, which also counts. Did you have to do any additional exams to get your skills assessed? I am going for the General Accountant one.

Thanks Makybe Diva, I have asked ICAEW for the letter, I'll have to check if I have the exam transcripts already. I saw Business Law and Quantitative Methods listed on the mandatory list, so I need to check on those, but hopefully not any more studying!!

Hi sns,

I has a similar thread 2 years ago on here not sure how to post link sorry.I too was unsure and even after posting on here there was no clear answer so I contacted DIAC directly and they clearly said that only if the full period had been fully paid could be included and as mine was 8 weeks full pay and the other 6 months was half wages and SMP that that definatley would not be included and as I didn't want to risk getting to final visa stage and not havung the required points I decided to not to risk it as I had heard previously of some people's visa been refused due to claimimg points for work exprience that had not deducted .I am now starting again and hoping to claim 5 year's experience point but I will make sure ive got 5 years 9 months to ensure my maternity leave is not included. Hope this has been helpful if you have a look you might find my thread as there was a few very helpful posts in it

Hi Ryso, thank you so much for your reply, it was paid, but like you not full pay. I have 3 children under 5, a year off with each one. That's a lot to deduct! I will have to recalculate whether I can even apply now.

Hi Ryso, thank you so much for your reply, it was paid, but like you not full pay. I have 3 children under 5, a year off with each one. That's a lot to deduct! I will have to recalculate whether I can even apply now.[/QUO

Hi sns, I was the same struggling to get 8s on the IELTS so was going to try for the points for work experience but my skills assessment was due to expire before I would have had the 3 years plus the maternity leave so ended up not applying and now I can get extra points for 5 years work experience but I have now lost points due to age lol however I am going to try the IELTS Again X maybe you could pick up some extra points with IELTS or state sponsorship ?

Hi, I can get 25 for age, 20 for English (this is a presumption so far!), 15 for qualifications. I might still be able to claim 5 for work experience even though I have been in my current job for 10 years, but I am not sure if it's relevant enough experience and also not sure if it has to be continuous (might not qualify at all). I might be able to claim 5 or 10 for location. There is still a chance of me scrapping in, but I feel as though it's getting slimmer by the day.

What is your skill in? Also try PTE instead of IELTS, it might not have existed last time you applied, it sounds like a fairer test. I am planning to do that one on 23rd March.

Hi sns

I think you only need 60 points so one way or another you should have enough :cool: I am a staff nurse with a Bachelors Degree in Adult Nursing and 5 years work experience. I'll have to look at the PTE I sat IELTS 8 times and eventually gave up so any alternative might be worth looking at although I live in Scotland so not sure if there are places here that do it ?

Thank you!

60 isn't enough for my category, Accountant, as it's so over subscribed. I would never get an invite with just 60 unfortunately. I am in Newcastle and could take it there, not sure about Scotland but I would expect so. You should read the pinned post above about IELTS v PTE, I think it will give you some hope

You can sit PTE in Edinburgh. I went to sit last August but the computers were down. Instead of waiting a month for the next Edinburgh exam I went to Newcastle the following week. The centre in Newcastle was brilliant - would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your help :cool: I only logged in to offer some advice to sns and it's helped me so much already. I am going to look at the Pte as I sat Academic IELTS Once for my ANMAC registration and the General seven times and kept missing out by 1/2 a mark on one section every time. I am already planning to get my AHPRA first then appear in person in Aus to validate then apply for ANMAC modified assessment so needing the PTE /IELTS for extra points

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2016 at 21:11, sns said:

Hi, thank you for your response, I spoke to a migration consultant today and he said that maternity leave still counts. My part time hours are now 24 hours per week, which also counts. Did you have to do any additional exams to get your skills assessed? I am going for the General Accountant one.

I know this is an old post but I wondered if you would mind updating on how you proceeded with the application & what was the outcome?

I am currently in a similar situation where I have 2 periods of maternity leave and I don't know if I can claim points for this time or not.  I know the safe option is not to claim however to get an invite I am going to need 75 points (Accountant) & without claiming the periods of maternity leave I will only have 70 points.  I was paid 50% of my salary for both maternity periods & given that I was originally contracted for 40 hours that would mean I was remunerated for 20 hours per week during this time so would appear to satisfy the criteria however I am having difficulty getting a concrete answer.

I am claiming 20 points for English & don't see any other options to increase points other than 5 points for partner but I believe getting a skills assessment for my partner would be a lengthy & costly process (he is a plumber) and if it is not necessary then we don't want to go down that route.  Obviously if this is the only option then that might be what we need to do!

I welcome any comments/advise, thanks :)

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2017 at 18:59, lulu2014 said:

I know this is an old post but I wondered if you would mind updating on how you proceeded with the application & what was the outcome?

I am currently in a similar situation where I have 2 periods of maternity leave and I don't know if I can claim points for this time or not.  I know the safe option is not to claim however to get an invite I am going to need 75 points (Accountant) & without claiming the periods of maternity leave I will only have 70 points.  I was paid 50% of my salary for both maternity periods & given that I was originally contracted for 40 hours that would mean I was remunerated for 20 hours per week during this time so would appear to satisfy the criteria however I am having difficulty getting a concrete answer.

I am claiming 20 points for English & don't see any other options to increase points other than 5 points for partner but I believe getting a skills assessment for my partner would be a lengthy & costly process (he is a plumber) and if it is not necessary then we don't want to go down that route.  Obviously if this is the only option then that might be what we need to do!

I welcome any comments/advise, thanks :)

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I got full 10 years of experience awarded and so maximum points. I therefore had 75 points, got the invite within a few days of EOI and visa within 6 weeks of applying. We are now enjoying the sunshine in Perth ?

Edited by sns
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yep, my wife was pregnant twice in the past 8 years, but got 8 years experience signed off.

One has to look at it like this: You are still employed while on maternity leave, it would be MASSIVELY unfair and discriminating to working woman looking to have families if they didn't count that time as experience.

• Like 1