Australian housing bubble

JockinTas

I just think it's too prolific flag! I see ads daily on facebook for property investment seminars, not just small time stuff but get-rich-quick portfolio crap! I could never be tempted, it's way too risky! Jeez, we lost enough on our house in the UK. I swore we'd never buy again, but sick of not being able to hang bloody pictures up. And the rest.

Those scams should be illegal. Brokers whom encourage miss presentation for bank loans should be incarcerated. Bank definitely held far more accountable (little to fear as the tax payer will bail them out as well as likely swallowing those of us with funds in the bank as well.

Yes I understand about the pictures. Hardly worth going into life time debt though. You could do one of a few things. If know the landlord, increasingly uncommon I know, but approach them about it. I expect Brisbane, is not far behind Perth with ever increasing rentals on the market, believe me a good landlord will value a good tenant if in for the long haul. No reason why they won't allow it. (within reason) You could even offer to paint the wall and remove wall plugs/holes on departing. In fact a few extra places to hang pictures may be welcomed by future tenants so not a big deal.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to ask why are you actually getting that on your facebook? and why you are actually spending time reading it!

I have no idea, I used to get heaps of weight loss ads as well, which I have never shown interest in! I do get lots of mortgage ads which I appreciate cos NAB's interest rates are woeful!!

I don't actively read them, but they do enter my subconscious. Oh, hang on, I did leave a snarky comment once maybe! Har!!

Those scams should be illegal. Brokers whom encourage miss presentation for bank loans should be incarcerated. Bank definitely held far more accountable (little to fear as the tax payer will bail them out as well as likely swallowing those of us with funds in the bank as well.

Yes I understand about the pictures. Hardly worth going into life time debt though. You could do one of a few things. If know the landlord, increasingly uncommon I know, but approach them about it. I expect Brisbane, is not far behind Perth with ever increasing rentals on the market, believe me a good landlord will value a good tenant if in for the long haul. No reason why they won't allow it. (within reason) You could even offer to paint the wall and remove wall plugs/holes on departing. In fact a few extra places to hang pictures may be welcomed by future tenants so not a big deal.

I let my tenants treat the house as a home, so hang the pictures, makes the place look nice anyhow.

What is wrong with the have-nots becoming (or striving to become) haves?

Because now it is increasing difficult to get a toe in let alone a foot on the ladder, without great sacrifice. That being the ability to live a life with meaning, sans a huge milestone of a mortgage around ones neck. Besides when the mess turns around finally the pain involved will likely make the sacrifice feel like a pleasurable experience.

I let my tenants treat the house as a home, so hang the pictures, makes the place look nice anyhow.

My SIL owns two rental properties in the south of England. She also lets the tenants hang pictures and one of the tenants asked if she could paint a couple of rooms so SIL paid for the paint etc and let her do what she wanted.

Sorry flag, the pictures comment was a bit flippant, there's a lot more to it really. I have a sum of cash kept separate (inheritance) that I plan to make our home really ours beyond bricks and mortar. Stuff like making an amazing pool area, heating pool in winter, things that my brother would like for us.

But back to pictures, I messed up with a command hook and there's a bit of paintwork missing!! Down to the paper. Oops!

Landlord is great and has been quite flexible, like agreeing to a 6 month lease rather than 12 recently.

We enjoy living here but, as nice as landlord is, he could cash in his investment any time...

How would you be subsidise the purchase flag?

Your not listening. Unless got a very good deal would no longer purchase in Australian cities. Certainly don't become a serf to the financial institutions. Borrow on next to no deposit or interest only? Never. Anyone that considers interest rates will not rise is living in a fool's paradise.

Banks included. What's the latest figure? 1.3 Trillion borrowed from overseas institutions. Something of that nature. Hell to pay when foreign rates to go up.

Because now it is increasing difficult to get a toe in let alone a foot on the ladder, without great sacrifice. That being the ability to live a life with meaning, sans a huge milestone of a mortgage around ones neck. Besides when the mess turns around finally the pain involved will likely make the sacrifice feel like a pleasurable experience.

Sorry my mistake, I must not know what I am talking about as my sacrifices could not have been great enough!

PS. It's Millstones by the way, milestones tell you where to go!

Your not listening. Unless got a very good deal would no longer purchase in Australian cities. Certainly don't become a serf to the financial institutions. Borrow on next to no deposit or interest only? Never. Anyone that considers interest rates will not rise is living in a fool's paradise.

Banks included. What's the latest figure? 1.3 Trillion borrowed from overseas institutions. Something of that nature. Hell to pay when foreign rates to go up.

:confused: in plain English please tell me how YOU sudsidise someone else purchasing a house.........I'm all ears!

What is wrong with the have-nots becoming (or striving to become) haves?

Surely that would be potential for an endless cycle of people who can't afford to buy their own home having an investment property to let to others in exactly the same situation! Heh.

Seriously though, whether owner occupier or investor, you need to have a good sum of cash already, which is proportionately increasing over time beyond the means of many. LMI insurers must be doing pretty good!

To clarify, we aren't exactly broke, but being a lefty type person I do get riled by the bias towards investment.

I classed myself as a have not once but now, by the power of personal sacrifices and some prudent decisions, I am a have, so I now become a baddie for being one of the haves, so would every other have not also be a baddie when they become a haves because they and I have helped put the price of housing up?

I classed myself as a have not once but now, by the power of personal sacrifices and some prudent decisions, I am a have, so I now become a baddie for being one of the haves, so would every other have not also be a baddie when they become a haves because they and I have helped put the price of housing up?

It is just jealousy Keith.

As soon as they pay off their own home they would do the same thing as you in a flash.

I'm sure you are a great landlord Keith but believe you me there are some horrors in Sydney especially when rentals were hard to get. They could more or less charge what they liked for a dump. This was when inner city apartments were being sub-let and some poor souls were renting a balcony! No joking.

Negative gearing is a tax subsidy for landlords. Subsidies from the government are paid for by other taxpayers. I suspect this is what Flag is referring to.

I know about negative gearing but flags claim that he is subsidizing the purchase is based solely on the assumption that negative gearing will actually be used and that is so so wrong of an across the board assumption.

I pay tax on one of my properties, my other property is a short term investment until I move in it as my retirement home, my tax breaks on this are less than the tax I pay on the other. And I will be liable to capitol gains tax when I sell the former investment property, the tax break I ill get on that will be solely that I will not be in the workforce when that sells.

I'm sure you are a great landlord Keith but believe you me there are some horrors in Sydney especially when rentals were hard to get. They could more or less charge what they liked for a dump. This was when inner city apartments were being sub-let and some poor souls were renting a balcony! No joking.

I have had horrors $11,000 dollars in one instance, but that does not count to the ones that think us mum and dad property tycoons get squillions from the government.